Whats classifies a holdback? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-30-2012, 05:46 PM   #1
951adg06
Whats classifies a holdback?

I always see bearded dragons represented as holdbacks, but they usually don't have anything noticeable in common to me. Maybe because I just don't know where to look But anyway what exactly is a holdback, and what traits, design must it have to be classified as one?
Thanks
Amber
Yes I know, I'm slow HAHA

Old 04-30-2012, 05:58 PM   #2
hhmoore
A holdback is simply an animal that one decides to keep (for whatever reasons).

Here's a hint to some: If you've been unable to sell an animal for the past year (or close), labeling it a holdback doesn't make it any more desirable.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:01 PM   #3
951adg06
Oh, thought it was something cool. Completely get it now.
Thanks

Old 04-30-2012, 06:08 PM   #4
hhmoore
Typically, a holdback is what would be considered an exceptionally attractive version of whatever....and the term implies that it is being kept for that reason (usually with plans to add the animal to one's breeding stock). It is not a term specific to bearded dragons.

As my previous post implied, some people seem to use the term as a marketing gimmick. Either that, or they just have no sense of what is desirable.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:28 PM   #5
Sushi Dragons
Couldn't agree more, Harald.

I've always thought the term applied to a rare individual, typically older, that the breeder has literally "held back" from the sales floor to see how it matures. I have a couple that I've held back for myself from each season for various reasons from outward beauty to sweet dispositions.

What I see a lot of lately that seems to becoming more and more prevalent is people selling very young hatchlings as hold backs, collector quality, etc. While it's true that some pop out of the egg glowing with ethereal beauty, with dragons you can't be certain of their adult potential until they are fully mature. Sometimes a dull baby grows into an amazing adult, and sometimes a very bright hatchling dulls out over time. You just don't know how they will turn out in the end.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:42 AM   #6
born2ride#56
I got off color size or how good it eats sexes or what ever one looks semi odd or different looking. It's all what you prefer...

Old 05-02-2012, 05:20 AM   #7
Cowabunga
I feel many breeders who have misused that handle have hurt themselves as well. When I think "holdback" I assume it was of among your best of the clutch. Pick of the litter so to speak. When you see sub par "holdbacks" it give one the ideal that the entire line in it self is bellow par as well.

Gimmicks are a part of the game though. Everything is microscaled, tigers, or red (90% of the time it is none of the aforementioned) but its up to the consumers to ruffle through that and take it with a grain of salt.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:31 AM   #8
jmp745
I think the various sales ploys are hilarious. I just don't understand what people are thinking sometimes when they come up with their ads. I guess they think if someone clicks on the ad, and sees a picture that isn't anything special, they will just believe the title over their own eyes and buy it.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:37 PM   #9
Cowabunga
You'd be amazed how many people buy these orange dragons and then post up on FB that they just bought a red dragon from so and so.. They aren't blind lol.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!