Road hit Kingsnake head damage - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 06-29-2015, 04:54 PM   #1
Harlock
Road hit Kingsnake head damage

I picked up a desert kingsnake recently that got clipped by a car, and am trying to get it back to health. It's passed 2 fecals since I got it with no blood, so I'm not too concerned with internal bleeding, but its head is worrying me. One eye is pretty messed up, but after a shed it is looking like the snake still has sight on both sides. The lower left jaw is swollen and slightly distended.
So far it refuses to eat, and spends a lot of time raised up and yawning. It had a few bloody spots on the bottom of its mouth but these seem reduced. It also starts drinking if it feels any moisture, including spending time "drinking" air. I have no idea why it does that. The snake can also no longer tongue flick properly, instead the forks stay connected even outside the mouth, and it can't flick out as far as normal kingsnakes.

I've tried to feed it twice (~5 days between attempts, after acclimating for 10 days in its tank) first was just a thawed hopper left in its tank (ignored) and the second was a brained pinky. It ignored the brained pinky, so I tried to get it started by gently putting the head in the snakes mouth. Didn't work.

I'm concerned it may have a broken jaw and is unable to eat, or has neurological damage and isn't eating from that. If the jaw is damaged, I don't want to be too rough trying to get it to eat, but the snake is thinner than I like, and survival is more of a concern. I might be able to take it to some other researchers I know who have practice force feeding coral snakes just to get some food in it.

Should I just back off for awhile, and try feeding it again in like a month/anyone have experience with head trauma to a snake like this? The other thing I have been considering is trying to either feed it an anole, or scenting a pinkie with an anole (or heck, I could try scenting it with another snake using an old shed).

I attached one of the few decent photos I could get of the messed up eye. The other side looks completely fine.
Attached Images

Old 07-19-2016, 03:20 PM   #2
BeauBoi
This sounds like something I would do. I have way too soft a heart.
I think you should get the vet to x-Ray the jaw. If it is broken, I am pretty sure you will have to deal with that before it will eat.
I wish I could be more help, but please keep us posted and let us know what happens.
Best of Luck,
~Beau

Old 07-19-2016, 04:16 PM   #3
bcr229
Tube feeding Carnivore Care would be a better option than assist feeding a mouse if it has a broken jaw. It would also help keep the snake hydrated.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:35 PM   #4
DLenaRuth999s
Scott, thank you for helping the snake. That's quite the kindness. How's he doing?

Old 07-19-2016, 08:01 PM   #5
bcr229
I just realized you're in the DC metro area. SEAVS is in Fairfax, VA if you want to try taking him to a vet.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!