Any info on Jamie Cartee aka cantilxcotton1 ? - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 08-17-2008, 06:36 PM   #31
John E Dove
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolikei
......................................Also he is not even close to an animal "abuser". He takes very good care of all of his animals. I don't know what you and him had agreed on but those EBTs are wild caught. Even if they had been in captivity for some time they can have health problems without being able to tell by looking at them.
HELLOOOOO!!!
Did you miss the part where Mr. Cartee admitted it was his fault because he gave the turtles lousy care??
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantilxcotton1
I never once said John was lying about this or anything. This was a screw up deal(on my part)...........I know there isn't excuses but the reason for my screw up on those turtles is b/c I WAS in the middle of a divorce and had to find a new place to live, and I do not have a vehicle, and was unable to get back and forth from the new place to the prior where the boxies were housed. And quite simply I was in a bad state mentally and alot of my animals were lacking attention.
It is great that YOU had a good deal with him but he is responsible for the death of one animal and the poor condition of the rest due to lack of care.
Wild caught or not there is no excuse for sick, starved and dieing turtles being sold.
I can fully understand Mr. Battaglia not being willing to return the turtles to the seller on a couple of levels. They don't need the stress in their still recovering condition and the illnesses they are recovering from is likely a direct result of the poor care they received from Mr. Cartee.
I also understand not giving a full refund for the still living turtles but the vet bills should be covered by the person responsible for the poor health and a full refund is due on the dead female.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:05 PM   #32
Rolikei
If I sold an animal to somebody and they told me the animal was sick when they got it I would do the same thing he did. Tell them to send it back for a refund or I would send a replacement. If they refused both and then sent me a bunch of vet bills saying they were from animals I sent I would have to let them know that is not how most people do business. It is like me buying a snake from someone and taking it to the vet and getting the works done to it and sending the seller the bill.
I can see if they didn't want to send the turtles back due to stress, but you can't not send them back and demand a refund. That is crazy. If I buy an animal and it isn't right I am not going to keep it and expect my money back. That is foolish to think that would happen.
As far as him having to pay the vet bills. They should have sent the turtles back. If they bought a gecko from petco and it was half dead and was taken to a vet do you think they would pay the bill. Yeah right. They wouldnt even refund the money for the gecko.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:12 PM   #33
John E Dove
What idiot claimed Petco was a reputable dealer?

Old 08-17-2008, 07:17 PM   #34
John E Dove
Second thought I guess the comparison between Mr. Cartee and Petco is about right. Neither one should be allowed to sell animals if this is how they treat the animals they sell and stand behind their guarantee.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:27 PM   #35
Critterfarm
The dude (Cartee) shipped out dying EBT's (probably only fed them lettuce..typical of the average scumbag) and then dodged the buyer. Nothing he does now can change that. I don't care if he offers a solid gold turd as compensation, there is nothing that can defend knowingly harming, then selling animals.

S C U M B A G

Old 08-17-2008, 07:35 PM   #36
Sloop John B
Here are some facts about this transaction:
I was promised healthy, CAPTIVE, not wild caught, EBTs by Jamie Cartee.
I was given a ONE MONTH HEALTH gaurentee.
I received 5 sick EBTs, from NEGLECTFUL HUSBANDRY (chronic issue).
Within one month, one is dead and two require emergency Vet Care.
Jamie Cartee did agree to send replacements...WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD WANT REPLACEMENTS!!!
We have a rough winter ahead of us with these malnurished animals, if you know anything about EBTs, you know how tricky it is to get them through the winter. We very likely have Vet visits ahead of us this winter for these animals. That means lots more money spent on these animals (which we are willing to do).
I have asked Jamie Cartee for refund on the dead turtle, and he agreed, however, has not reimbursed me any money. He won't even provide me with his address or call me despite numerous requests on my part.
I have asked for reimbursement on the Vet bills, but he hasn't done this.

Read the e-mails between Jamie Cartee and me to confirm the above facts, there are two series, the first for the initial deal, the second series on what has happened since then (they are in backwards order, you have to read from the line upwards to understand).

First series below_____________________________________________ _____

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 10:11 PM, Jamie Cartee <cantilxcotton1@gmail.com> wrote:

Shipping is $60. It would actually be about 69 dollars from me to you for 1030AM delivery. but considering you are buying several I don't mind covering the rest. All animals have been in my care for 6 months or better. Technically well over a year, but a few have been put in my outdoor habitats by children around the neighborhood. I am very anal about my animals, hence the ONE MONTH HEALTH GUARANTEE. Let me know what you would like to do, and just to add, I have a several females and males that are ones I'm am selling off due to divorce, their prices will be higher, but their color is the best you will find for the price. Just incase you may want to get you a couple or one High End one later on. Cause ALL my customers come back......LOL. I do anything and everything I can to keep repeat customers.

So grand total with shipping will be $310

Let me know,
Thanks
Jamie

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 9:27 PM, John B <junglejohn@tds.net> wrote:

I'm not worried about appearance, just functional health. As long as the shell infractions don't interfere with function or physiologic health, I am interested in this deal. I hear you saying that these are not freshly caught or harvested, but have been with you for a while, correct? My zip code is 53717...let me know your quote.
Thanks,
John
----- Original Message -----
To: John B
Sent: Monday, June 30, 2008 6:27 AM
Subject: Re: Eastern Box turtles wanted

I have a group I can put together of ones that have various shell infractions. Some have some pretty decent color.

The group would be $250 plus shipping. I need your zip code for shipping quote. This purchase will include 3.2 Eastern Boxies, a Live Arrival Guarantee, and a One Month Health Guarantee for each animal.

PayPal is our prefered method of payment.

Thanks
Jamie

On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 7:59 AM, John B <junglejohn@tds.net> wrote:

Hey Jamie,
Just regular. The main thing is I don't want recently wild caught or harvested animals. Prefer long term captives or rescue animals needing adoption. If you are a breeder and have several animals that just didn't turn out very nice looking, I would be most interested in them. Call me if you have something for me and we can discuss.
Thanks,
John

***START HERE AND READ UPWARD***______________________________

You can either send them back and get a full refund. Send the dead ones and a refund for those. Or as soon as I have some more I can send you 3 or 4 new ones.

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 9:26 PM, John B <junglejohn@tds.net> wrote:

Jamie,
There is no way I would ship the remaining, malnurished, sick turtles to you. I would be happy to ship the dead turtle back to you, but you abused these animals and there is no way I would put them back in your hands. Both vets who examined these turtles diagnosed, "malnutrition, vitamin A deficiency"... To anyone that knows anything about box turtles knows that these conditions don't arise overnight, but are a result of improper, negligent husbandry.

I would like to mail you the Vet bills, and if you want, the shell of the dead turtle. That alone covers the money I sent to you to inferit this mess. So please forward me your address so I can finish this matter. I expect a reimbursement of the Vet bills and replacement cost of the dead turtle. If anything, you should have paid ME to inherit these infected, malnurished animals. There is only one among them that MIGHT be able to enter brumation this Fall.

In regard to attitude. I think you should send the whole string of e-mails to any neutral party and to examine who is being professional, and who is not. I have done nothing but given you very accurate feedback on what you sent me. If this upsets you, your reaction makes sense, because the situation is very upsetting. And by attacking me you are making it worse (name calling... and you are calling me childish?). Re-read your last e-mail to get a clue on this.

Jamey, I sent you good money. You promised healthy turtles and then send completely malnurished, infected animals, one of which is already dead and another is on the way. You don't answer my e-mails for several weeks, even though I have solid evidence you have been online during that time. You are wondering why we are upset???

Everyone makes mistakes, but you are not taking a responsible correction for the wrongs that you have done. In my book, you sitll have chance to do the right thing. So I urge you to do that, and settle this matter.
Please send a fax number or address so I can mail you the copies of the Vet bills. If you want to the dead turtle shell, you can have that too. I fully expect a full refund and nothing less.
John

attached: photos of male box turtle after vet visit, with diagnosis of cuterebra infestation and malnutrition, and record breaking number of maggots removed from neck lesion.

----- Original Message -----
To: John B
Sent: Monday, August 11, 2008 9:44 AM
Subject: Re: Female Box turtle died today

In order to get a full refund you need to ship me all the turtles back. And I do not appreciate your attitude. I have kept in touch with you and tried fixing this by offering options. I know it's a pain dealing with this, but you are being a dick to me about. And I don't take to kindly to threats. And you have made plenty without provocation from me. I haven't said no to you once, and you still act the same. So grow up, and try to speak to me like an adult. Let me know when you can ship them back.

On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 4:58 PM, John B <junglejohn@tds.net> wrote:

Jamey,
We had to take another of the turtles you sent to the Vet emergently last night as it was so lethargic it couldn't move. The vet diagnosed Cuterebra infestation ("botfly" or maggots), conjunctivitis, and hypovitaminosis A. We paid $134 for the emergency vet bill. She removed 14 maggot larvae from his neck...said it was the worst case she had seen. She noted the turtle was malnurished and wouldn't likely make it through hibernation. She gave him a 50/50 chance of surviving. Looks like we are going to spend the entire winter trying to keep these turtles alive.

I am still stunned with the nightmare you placed in my (our) lap...and to think I paid you good money for this! I expect nothing less than a full refund of every penny I paid to you. I expect it within a week (I paid you immediately once we had a deal, so I expect to be treated the same). I need your address because I would like to send you copies of these vet bills and also because the other families that are involved with this whole mess would like to write you a letter.

I expect a prompt response to this e-mail or a phone call.
John Battaglia
(608) 332-7994

---- Original Message -----
To: John B.
Sent: Friday, August 08, 2008 7:07 PM
Subject: Re: Female Box turtle died today

I will send you a refund as soon as I have the available funds.

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 8:48 PM, John B. <junglejohn@tds.net> wrote:

As I predicted, the female died today. Looking at these pictures tells the tale of just how malnurished this turtle was.

****START HERE AND READ UPWARD***______________________________

Old 08-17-2008, 07:35 PM   #37
Rolikei
I think I read that he offered to send replacements free of charge and offerend to refund the money for the one that died before it was even dead. If this was about a five thousand dollar ball python would he have to let them keep the snake, refund the money, and pay the vet bills for a snake they get to keep? No of course not. How are these turtles any different? Ask any dealer if they refund money, pay for vet visits, and let the customer keep the animal if they get a sick animal. No dealer does that. As I said before, they should have sent them back for a refund. There is no way to even prove that the sick turtles were the same ones he sent. Maggots don't even stay in that stage for a month. How could they have been there when they were sent. Unless they noticed right away, then they should have let him know when they got them that they were sending them back, not take them to a vet and expect it to be paid for.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:02 PM   #38
cantilxcotton1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critterfarm
The dude (Cartee) shipped out dying EBT's (probably only fed them lettuce..typical of the average scumbag) and then dodged the buyer. Nothing he does now can change that. I don't care if he offers a solid gold turd as compensation, there is nothing that can defend knowingly harming, then selling animals.

S C U M B A G

You need to grow up and learn how to talk to ppl. I admit to the one being un medicated. That is where the mistake on my end lies. I should have caught that that one was in that condition. And not shipped. And then medicated. But THAT is what I missed. Nothing else. That is what I admit to. That is why I offered replacements way before death. I offered 2 for one!!!?? I feel I offered plenty of fairness. Notice how all the vet bills are right at a month after shipping for the rest of the animals. This gentlemen is expecting to get and keep everything he can. I offered FAIR fixes to this problem, but b.c it wasen't EVERYTHING he wanted he refuses. Oh well......his loss. I did not KNOWINGLY HARM that turtle. I simply missed a sickness. Not that that excuses it. But shit happens. And I actually offered to fix my screw up, but b.c someone wants to be all big and bad, and try to make it out like I do this all the time and can't accept anything less than WHATEVER HE WANTS.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:03 PM   #39
cantilxcotton1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolikei
I think I read that he offered to send replacements free of charge and offerend to refund the money for the one that died before it was even dead. If this was about a five thousand dollar ball python would he have to let them keep the snake, refund the money, and pay the vet bills for a snake they get to keep? No of course not. How are these turtles any different? Ask any dealer if they refund money, pay for vet visits, and let the customer keep the animal if they get a sick animal. No dealer does that. As I said before, they should have sent them back for a refund. There is no way to even prove that the sick turtles were the same ones he sent. Maggots don't even stay in that stage for a month. How could they have been there when they were sent. Unless they noticed right away, then they should have let him know when they got them that they were sending them back, not take them to a vet and expect it to be paid for.

THANK GOD SOMEONE ELSE CAN SEE THE OBVIOUS!! Thanks

Old 08-17-2008, 08:37 PM   #40
Critterfarm
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantilxcotton1
You need to grow up and learn how to talk to ppl. I admit to the one being un medicated. That is where the mistake on my end lies. I should have caught that that one was in that condition. And not shipped. And then medicated. But THAT is what I missed. Nothing else. That is what I admit to. That is why I offered replacements way before death. I offered 2 for one!!!?? I feel I offered plenty of fairness. Notice how all the vet bills are right at a month after shipping for the rest of the animals. This gentlemen is expecting to get and keep everything he can. I offered FAIR fixes to this problem, but b.c it wasen't EVERYTHING he wanted he refuses. Oh well......his loss. I did not KNOWINGLY HARM that turtle. I simply missed a sickness. Not that that excuses it. But shit happens. And I actually offered to fix my screw up, but b.c someone wants to be all big and bad, and try to make it out like I do this all the time and can't accept anything less than WHATEVER HE WANTS.
I know how to communicate with "ppl" quite well, thank you. I also know how to communicate with scumbags who are a notch or two below me on the proverbial evolutionary ladder. Guess where you fit in.

1. The vet reports show some serious issues with the care of these turtles while in your possession. I'm not a vet, nor do I play one on TV, but I'd wager that 99% of these issues are from you not feeding them correctly. The nutritional issues, and the Vitamin A deficiency are definitely from poor feeding practices. Something tells me I hit very close to home with the lettuce comment.

2. Taking proper care of eastern box turtles is quite simple. I've already stated my 5 year old daughter was able to keep one healthy and 'happy' for 11 years now, and it's still going strong.

3. You've admitted to neglecting some of your animals. Divorce, transportation issues, etc etc cry me a river. If you can't properly care for them, give them to someone who can. End of discussion.

4. I don't give a rat's ass about how you intend to handle the transaction with Mr. Battaglia. Nothing you do can change the fact that you couldn't take care of the turtles correctly, and thought it was OK to sell them in the piss poor shape they were in.

5. You're a scumbag. Give away all your animals and stick with something you can care for. I recommend a pet rock or a teddy bear.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!