Found a gecko anyone know what it is? basic care tips too. - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Field Collecting/Observing

Notices

Field Collecting/Observing Sightings of herps in the wild, where-tos and how-tos, as well as photos of herps in their native environment.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:04 PM   #11
Katie.Shinkle
Yup, med. House gecko. We have them all over at the mall I'm at and I've got 5 at home I caught. Currently on paper towels in small tubs. Working on a planted tank for them, but keep yours on paper towel until that wound heals up to help prevent infection. I feed mine baby dubia, isopods, and meal worms.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:37 PM   #12
Jefroka
We have tons of them here in Louisiana. In fact I would dare to say that most households here in my area have several if not dozens living behind external light fixtures, mail boxes, in garden beds, etc...

They likely need a great deal of humidity, will eat small insects as they don't get that big themselves and are nocturnal like many geckos, no need for UVB.

...JP

Old 07-24-2011, 12:36 AM   #13
Alex G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie.Shinkle View Post
Yup, med. House gecko. We have them all over at the mall I'm at and I've got 5 at home I caught. Currently on paper towels in small tubs. Working on a planted tank for them, but keep yours on paper towel until that wound heals up to help prevent infection. I feed mine baby dubia, isopods, and meal worms.
How do you feed them terrestrial prey? The ones I've encountered are to skittish to handfeed (not that I've tried, maybe they'll surprise me). Do they hunt prey on the ground as well as on the walls/air around them?

Old 07-24-2011, 11:48 AM   #14
rcpreis3
Well hes eating quite well, threw in 3 two week old crickets the night before and last night. He has eaten them all with gusto! Should I feed him nightly, or every couple of days?

Thanks for all the info. I was just in the shop today looking for substrate and decoration, just gotta think of a container to keep him in. I was gonna do a 10 gallon but someone mentioned they escape, so its back to the drawing board! Maybe Ill just buy one of the netted cages I see alot of geckos and chams in.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:24 PM   #15
Alex G
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpreis3 View Post
Well hes eating quite well, threw in 3 two week old crickets the night before and last night. He has eaten them all with gusto! Should I feed him nightly, or every couple of days?

Thanks for all the info. I was just in the shop today looking for substrate and decoration, just gotta think of a container to keep him in. I was gonna do a 10 gallon but someone mentioned they escape, so its back to the drawing board! Maybe Ill just buy one of the netted cages I see alot of geckos and chams in.
I used an exo-terra 12x12x18 tank and it worked perfectly well. He will enjoy the higher humidity too.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:03 AM   #16
Katie.Shinkle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex G View Post
How do you feed them terrestrial prey? The ones I've encountered are to skittish to handfeed (not that I've tried, maybe they'll surprise me). Do they hunt prey on the ground as well as on the walls/air around them?
Mine seem to have no problem going after whatever they see move. I see them all over the tubs too, not just in the top portion. Actually, I went hunting for some more tonight and saw a lot near/on the ground, and not just up high, especially little ones (which were hunting ants at the time). Caught 3 tiny babies and 2 adults tonight, but saw probably close to 50.

Quote:

I'm setting up a planted ten gallon. I'll be using a modified fish tank hood (just got done covering the inside of the hood with screen and sealing it all), I'll probably end up buying one of those glass tops though, as well as a screen lid. The glass lids sit right inside the lip of the enclosure, so they shouldn't be able to escape. The babies will stay in little tubs until big enough though, they are incredibly small.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:38 AM   #17
Focal
Quote:

Not sure if it's right, but I fed mine every other day, two small crickets a feeding.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:55 AM   #18
Katie.Shinkle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focal X View Post
Not sure if it's right, but I fed mine every other day, two small crickets a feeding.
The older ones I have are fed every other day (I feed about 5 small roaches), and the babies are fed every day (as many as they want/can eat).

Old 07-31-2011, 10:43 AM   #19
rcpreis3
So friday night I found another med house gecko, stuck him in with the other guy, and he started eating right off the bat, didnt even waste time and surely indulged himself.

Wake up yesterday morning, and the whole tub is swarmed with fire ants and they were both eaten alive, very sad. Dam shame since the fresh one was eating 60 secs after capture. Not a good way to start an 11 day vaca...

Old 07-31-2011, 11:14 AM   #20
Jefroka
Were you keeping them outside? Sorry to hear that, it was a painful way for them to go.

...Jefroka

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!