Animal Plastic racks? What model at the most affordable price? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-26-2004, 01:59 AM   #1
Leo Lover
Question Animal Plastic racks? What model at the most affordable price?

Sometime soon this winter I am going to be putting in an order for an Animal Plastics rack. I was just looking at the Boaphile racks, but I dont quite have the money to purchase one of those because I am low on funds.

I know some of you are using the Animal Plastic racks and have nothing but good things to say about those racks.

I was just wondering if they made a rack with anywhere from 28-32 drawers? I house all my geckos in 12 quarts, the sterlite ones you find at walmart. If AP does have a rack like the one I am asking about what model # is it, and how much will it cost?
I also like to keep all my adults seperate from eachother. The only time I put them together is for breeding only. But thats just me, I want all my breeders housed singly year round, so I am not looking for big drawers in a rack.

If its about the same price from both sites, then I guess I will just have to save up some money or ask my boyfriend to help out. Any info would be great!
Thank you so much!
Shayna

Old 10-26-2004, 03:44 AM   #2
Manhattan Herps
you can go to their site Wantapet.com and check the modles, i havn't seen a rack that had more that 40 that was an adult rack

i had to buy one that only held 18 boxes so now i need to save up to buy another rack..

Old 10-26-2004, 02:00 PM   #3
Chris_Harper2
You'll want one of the models where the 28 qt. boxes slide in width-wise. This allows you to use two of the 12 qts. per level.
So if you get the 7 level rack you'll be able to hold 14 boxes.

On the rare occasion you want to setup a small group you'll be able to pull two of your boxes and add one full sized box.

I believe AP requires you to purchase the boxes separately. Moreover, they have switched to Iris boxes which are slightly more expensive and will likely need to be ordered.

So to compare rack prices you really need to do a true comparison - find out how much for you to buy the boxes and if you'll need to have them shipped. I have seen the Iris boxes at a Bed Bath & Beyond Store so look around locally.

Also regarding the Iris boxes, they are very sturdily build and are easy to clean. However, the sturdy rim and the sloping sides mean they have less floor area than Rubbermaids and Sterilites of the same size. I say this assuming the Iris box I saw at BB&B is the same used by AP.

But also keep in mind that the AP racks are shipped broken down and you assemble them yourself. What this means is that you can order a larger rack and end up saving money on a "per-level" basis. This is especially nice if you don't mind a taller rack. With other companies you're often limited to four or five levels.

I have to add, of course, that building your own is always cheapest. Pretty easy too for something like a leopard gecko that is not the best escape artist in the herp world.

Old 10-26-2004, 03:18 PM   #4
E2MacPets
Shayna, drop me a line as I am affiliated with AP.

The tubs do need to be ordered seperately, I know this is a hassle but it fits with the AP philosophy of shipping their product broken down to save on shipping expense.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!