Best way to force feed? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Rosy, Sand, Ground Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-25-2006, 11:23 PM   #1
lvl0rg4n
Best way to force feed?

I HAVE to get my babies to eat. I have 3 KSB babies and they're very inconsistent when eating. One will eat one week and then go 2 or 3 weeks without eating.
I know their temps, and stats are right for their cage. They've all been pains since I purchased them. Are all babies this picky?

Anyways, I need to force feed, and I'm wondering the best way.

Should I blend up some pinkies and stick it in a syringe? Or is there something.. less stomach renching I could do?

I have 2 adults who eat just fine. I've never had a problem with them. But the babies are really, really stressing me out.

Any tips would help.

Old 08-25-2006, 11:28 PM   #2
Cat_72
As long as they are eating SOMETHING, there is no need to force feed them at all. Force feeding is a very last resort with an animal that will not eat. You may end up doing more harm than good.

Old 08-25-2006, 11:45 PM   #3
markface
i agree with cat , if they are eating at all then force feeding should not be needed . also if you have never had to force feed a snake before you are better off to take them to someone who is experienced at it . it is very easy to injure a snake(especially a neonate) while force feeding if you are not absolutely sure of what you are doing .

Old 08-26-2006, 02:37 AM   #4
lvl0rg4n
They are not neonates. They are getting very skinny. I've already lost 1 baby (juvenile) which I am sure is due to this. They are probably around 6-8 months old.

Old 08-26-2006, 08:54 AM   #5
markface
if that is the case i would look for a good exotic animal vet so that they can atleast show you the proper way to force feed a snake . as i said before , its very easy to injure a snake if you dont know exactly what you are doing with force feeding .

Old 08-26-2006, 10:34 AM   #6
Cat_72
How long have you had them? I wouldn't think that even if they are only eating every 2-3 weeks, they would have starved to death already, if they were indeed healthy when you got them. I would think at the very least getting a fecal done is in order, to see if there are underlying causes.

Old 08-26-2006, 07:00 PM   #7
lvl0rg4n
I've had them for a little while.. since around May or June. I can't remember which.
I'll take them to the vet and let you all know what's going on.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!