What are these red marks on my albino pied? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-06-2017, 03:13 PM   #11
leocrespo
Oh I see. I’m much less worried now, thanks for the pictures. Great looking snakes too!

Old 10-06-2017, 03:16 PM   #12
Robert Walker
Quote:
Originally Posted by leocrespo View Post
Should I bump up the heat?
No.
Set up looks great. If the snake needs more heat it can push down through the chips closer to the heat.

Old 10-06-2017, 03:17 PM   #13
leocrespo
Alright, thanks again Robert!

Old 10-06-2017, 03:22 PM   #14
Robert Walker
Quote:
Originally Posted by leocrespo View Post
Alright, thanks again Robert!
No problem.
FYI: These three marks are most likely a direct result of live feeding.
Good luck Leonardo
Attached Images

Old 10-06-2017, 03:27 PM   #15
leocrespo
Noted! Thank you Robert

Old 10-06-2017, 03:37 PM   #16
AbsoluteApril
I agree with all that Robert has said.
I'll add that scale rot is usually more of a brown coloration than pink as well. Does not look like scale rot.

Old 10-06-2017, 04:09 PM   #17
leocrespo
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
I agree with all that Robert has said.
I'll add that scale rot is usually more of a brown coloration than pink as well. Does not look like scale rot.

Thanks for the reply. I will work on getting this girl on frozen thawed

Old 07-09-2018, 08:59 PM   #18
mblan46
I'm also seeing similar red spotting towards the white tail end of my 1 y/o pinstripe pied, and I also feed him live. But I always watch him strike and hold the rats (I leave before the rat actually dies and he swallows); so there's no chance for the rat to hurt him. I will try to stop feeding live if I have to, but he refuses frozen/thawed, although admittedly I wasn't too persistent.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:09 PM   #19
Helenthereef
I'm just curious - from what you say, Robert, do you mean that this might be how bruising can show up?

Old 07-09-2018, 11:16 PM   #20
Robert Walker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
I'm just curious - from what you say, Robert, do you mean that this might be how bruising can show up?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Walker View Post
In my experience, white ball pythons can show "pink" for a variety of reasons.
1. Live Feeding - rat bites, claws, pink like bruising for lack of a more scientific explanation.
"Pink like bruising" is my layman's term Helen. Is it an actual bruise, not 100% sure, but whatever it is, it manifests itself repeatedly after live animal bite and claw attacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblan46 View Post
But I always watch him strike and hold the rats (I leave before the rat actually dies and he swallows); so there's no chance for the rat to hurt him.
I unfortunately think you may be mistaken in your conclusion. A rat only becomes harmless after death. A snake simply holding a rat is not even half the battle. Once you leave the room, what can happen:
1. The snake loses interest, lets go and prey revives. It then goes on to attack the snake through out the night. The snake finally eats it and you return in the morning none the wiser.
2. The snake and rat struggle longer than you think, the rats whips around and catches the snake's tail gnawing on it.
3. The rat is not dead and convulsing nerves in it's legs repeatedly scratch the snake with it's hind legs.
4. Etc.
I would not leave the snake alone until you know the rat is 100% "dead".

I often would allow the snake to strike and wrap the rat, then with tongs I would subdue whatever part of the rat was left to struggle. If it was the head I would pinch the rats mouth so it could not bite. If it was the hind legs I would pinch the legs so they could not kick. Either way, the rat is not dead until it is dead - period.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!