Eastern Indigo Snakes and Captive Breeding? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-30-2010, 11:23 PM   #11
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Beats me. I only worked with the easterns. The only time I can recall having egg binding was during one of my earliest breedings. And I blame that on my trying to treat them like typical colubrids. I now believe that the basking spot in the late winter months is critical.

Besides, if you have ever seen indigo eggs, you would be amazed that the females can pass them at all. They are R-O-U-G-H besides being B-I-G! They look like they have been sprinkled liberally with salt. They HAVE to hurt coming out! I can easily see how a female might give up early if she has delayed laying them too long and they have swelled up.

Speaking of which, when you set up an egg laying box, make sure it is BIG, and make sure the peat moss (or whatever medium you choose) is packed TIGHTLY in there. The female needs to be able to actively BURROW into the medium to make her nesting area. Otherwise she will delay laying the eggs while she tries to find a more suitable nesting site.
Thanks for the info. It will be a while before I breed any Dry's though. I still don't know if I want to go for the Easterns or just stick with the Cribo as far as mating goes. Still have a lot to learn about their care, ect.

Thanks again!

Old 07-06-2010, 04:17 PM   #12
evilcowboy420
Dang a lot of questions about eastern indigo's were cleared up just reading this thread. I would like one of these snakes but as mentioned before they are expensive. So I got to stay with some of the cheaper colubrids until I can get some money to buy me one.

they are definitely not very common in captivity or at least not that I've seen. I've seen other ones but not the eastern.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:24 PM   #13
dumboa
Keeping them is also a little different. Indigosforever will shed alot of light for those of you looking to get into Drys

Old 10-09-2014, 10:25 PM   #14
sbabysnakes
shedding often

I have bought several adults but the one I raised from a hatchling is my fav. He's six and a half ft. And he still sheds approx. every 70 days. Shedding is done for growth, does this mean he is still growing very very fast? He's eight years old. Can I expect a large snake?!! He seems to put on about two inches a year now. Any opinions? Shannon

Old 10-09-2014, 10:29 PM   #15
sbabysnakes
oh, yea, he's Indigo

Oh, yea, did I mention that my six and a half footer was an Eastern Indigo? Ding, ding, ding! S.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:16 PM   #16
bmwdirtracer
Wow, Shannon....I saw your all-black for sale, I really wanted to buy her, but you said California only. If you still have her, and are willing to cooperate with permit forms, I'll buy her. Retired hooker, huh? Cool.

Two inches a year isn't going to get you much more than, um, two inches a year. That's definitely not "very fast". After the snake reaches sexual maturity, growth slows dramatically. A baby indigo can grow 3 feet in a year.

At the Indigo forum over at Kingsnake, I put a link to a study on Indigo growth....my own couperi are not even close, because the breeder believes in maintenance feeding, which kept them small. I'm working really hard to correct that, before they reach 3 years old or so, when growth slows dramatically.

Old 10-19-2014, 03:04 AM   #17
sbabysnakes
well cared for girl

This little beauty should please you. Her parents had been bred for black and she's got just a little off white under her chin. She too had been raised by a lady that babied her with the best of everything but fed her only three mice or three fish at a weekly feeding. She eats salmon, most fish, turkey neck, chicken breast, rats of course, quail and more. She might be a terrific breeder, who knows?

Old 10-21-2014, 11:29 PM   #18
bmwdirtracer
Hi Shannon -- great to talk with you this evening.. Wish my babies ate like your girl! We'll work this out, and your girl will meet my family of couperi and cats. And she'll be well attended, and have a lovely big always clean cage, with live plants and warm and cold hideboxes.

She will breed, with a varied red throat and all black heritage, and her babies will be spectacular. Unlike some people, I'll prefer to make the strongest species by mixing the COUPERI breeding....not minimizing the gene pool, by breeding for some characteristic. After all, we have a limited gene pool, especially since we're forbidden from wild interbreeding.

Do we not owe it to couperi, to make sure their genetics remain diverse, rather than becoming a toy, of human beings?

Old 10-22-2014, 09:56 PM   #19
sbabysnakes
Well spoken. Today folks seem to use the Planet as though they were going to Heaven and never have to look back. Maybe they can. I certainly don't think of animals as seconded class niggers. No offence intended. It sounds like shes going to be spoiled all over again. I took her to the back yard today for her pooping and sunning. She and the male have been picking up each others sent and are mad to get it on but she's not large enough so there you go. Thank you for calling. Call again anytime you can catch me. Regards, Shannon

Old 10-23-2014, 08:22 PM   #20
bmwdirtracer
I'm afraid I have received an "INFRACTION" from the Moderator, for "Inappropriate Advertising and Spamming", for post number 16, above. Anyone else see an advertisement or spam there?

Nice way to thank the guy who spent $50 of his hard earned money, just to sponsor this forum , so it wouldn't be cancelled. I guess I'll have to try to find another site to discuss Drymarchon, where forum participants are treated with just a modicum of respect.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!