Eastern Indigo Snakes and Captive Breeding? - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-25-2014, 09:54 PM   #31
bmwdirtracer
Wow. Thank you Vanessa. I try to learn something new every day - and you have certainly provided the best lesson I've learned in a long time.

Of course, I had to follow up; Ethiopia, ~160k years ago, 3 known skulls; idaltu meaning "elder", or "first born".

And here I thought I was pretty good at this stuff, having received some instruction from the Leakeys, in Olduvai Gorge, but I was really looking for the Red phase of the Black Spitting Cobra, so I likely missed some of the human ancestor lesson. (Got a lovely cobra though! And now we're talking red vs. black, all over again!

I see the idaltu ssp was named decades after I studied; many thanks for updating me. In fact, now I see that Zinjanthropus is renamed an Australopithecus anyway.

It's hard to stay up to date on such things, when I've since become a BMW mechanic and racer. Thanks again!

Old 11-25-2014, 11:35 PM   #32
snowgyre
Not a problem, Chris! The taxonomy of Homo and related genera have been under significant revisions lately, as have a bunch of other plant and animal taxa. Now that the cost of genetic testing has gone way down, there are a lot more research projects that can now afford looking at the molecular relationships between organisms, so we're learning and lot and being surprised in some cases (which has created significant consternation for my students who must learn all the new scientific names, lol).

Old 12-28-2014, 01:53 PM   #33
bmwdirtracer
Going back to an earlier discussion here, on indigos slowing down on food for the winter:

My young '13 girl, maybe 40 inches, had refused food for 10-14 days, as she turned blue. Yesterday, I saw she'd shed, so I thawed some mice, a 1-day quail, (and a chick for a bigger snake.) I cut the leg off the chick, and had barely gotten the tongs to the door of her hidebox, when she ERUPTED from the entry, yanking it back inside. By the time I'd picked up a small mouse with the tongs, and turned back to the cage, she was out of the box, and SHOT STRAIGHT AT MY CHEST, mouth agape, through the open door!

She quickly recovered, and while I tried to control my laughter, she found the tongs, and proceeded to eat a couple of mice and the quail. I really love a voracious eater!

Old 12-28-2014, 06:40 PM   #34
tim brophy
Two of my males are only eating every couple weeks now. But all my females are still eating as before, about every third day.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:24 PM   #35
bmwdirtracer
All my snakes seem to have recovered to a fairly normal feeding schedule. While others have told me their couperi eat well when pre-shed, mine have always been very hesitant until the shed.

The biggest boy ('12) is doing all he can to catch up on missed early growth...he's not actually that much longer than the '12 girl, but he's becoming quite massive -- NOT FAT, just massive. His head is significantly larger than hers, and he's got her by ~ 1/2" or 3/4" in diameter.

She was bigger, when I received them, 16 months ago. The comparative growth, and behavioral differences, are the only reason I believe she's a girl. By visual exam of post cloacal girth, she's a boy. I'm about to send shed skins off to a Vet Diagnostic place in Canada, for DNA sexing, just to make sure.

Meanwhile, my new, big, 7-year old girl arrives Tuesday - I have a video of her which I've watched fifty times! I'm very excited! Her huge cage is fully adorned and ready.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!