First Ball Husbandry questions HUMIDITY - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-28-2014, 11:51 PM   #1
Pandamonia
First Ball Husbandry questions HUMIDITY

Hey there community this is my first ball python. I have him setup in a ziploc tub tub. My concern is that the ambient humidity in my room is at a constant 50+/- percent. The readings that I have found so far range from 75-82% humidity. When I first added the substrate I did a light misting of distilled water. Also there is a small water dish for him. Is this humidity level too high? There isn't any condensation along the walls. I have drilled roughly 25 holes on the sides and 20 holes on the top of the tub. Will it cause any respiratory infections? I plan on spot cleaning, and doing a substrate change bi-weekly or as deemed necessary. Also I bought him as a spotnose, pastel. Can you see these in him? I'm unfamiliar with ball morphs. Any help or advice will help. Sorry if this post is redundant of previous posts, but I couldn't find one pertaining to high humidity. Thanks in advance. Any advice or tips help. Also I blacked out his tub just so he wouldn't get stressed out while acclimating. He did huff/hiss at him when I went to go check the readings. Hopefully he will tame down like a puppy dog =3
Attached Images

Old 07-28-2014, 11:56 PM   #2
Pandamonia
The hotspot is 90 degrees while the cool side is 78 Should I keep these temps or raise the heat a little bit more? Thanks!

Old 07-29-2014, 11:12 AM   #3
EmeraldBoid
There's pastel in him, I am not good at picking out spot nose though...my gut says yes though. The humidity sounds good, just try to let it dry throughout the week, I like to get mine up to nearly 100% at the beginning of the week and let it dry throughout the week, I may mist twice a week though in some of my area's drier seasons.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:14 AM   #4
EmeraldBoid
I would give him a bigger water bowl in case he wants to soak. The temperatures are good, any plans for the little guy?

Old 07-29-2014, 07:00 PM   #5
Pandamonia
This is my first one, and you know how it goes can't have just one of any reptile. I'm going to a repticon next month, so I may look for a another one to add to the collection. Not planning I'm breeding unless someone locally wants a clutch of their own haha. Thanks for the advice. I'll see how the humidity thing goes, then may get a larger water dish if I don't have time to soak.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:16 PM   #6
EmeraldBoid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonia View Post
This is my first one, and you know how it goes can't have just one of any reptile. I'm going to a repticon next month, so I may look for a another one to add to the collection. Not planning I'm breeding unless someone locally wants a clutch of their own haha. Thanks for the advice. I'll see how the humidity thing goes, then may get a larger water dish if I don't have time to soak.
No problem, have fun. I think this forum has a search function on desktop so you might try that if you want more immediate answers or just want to browse info.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:09 PM   #7
Dbz4246
To me the head pattern looks right for Spotnose but not the rest of the pattern. Maybe it would be different in person, but I wouldn't buy as a Pastel spotnose based on the pics. Pastel is yes for sure though.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:49 AM   #8
Big Borg Reptiles
From what I know, the biggest indicators of a spotnose are an intense/distinct head pattern, a lighter coloring across the top of the back, and a very busy pattern on the belly.

Unfortunately when you add other genes these all kind of get mixed up. Especially with a pastel, where you have whitening of the belly, you won't be able to see the busy belly indicator. Also, pastel lightens the head, so that kind of goes out as well. From what I can see in the pics, it does look like he has that light streak down his back though, and his head still has a pretty distinct pattern, so I would think pastel spotnose is probably accurate.

Old 07-30-2014, 04:34 AM   #9
Neilengland
If you're gonna buy more balls just get a rack... The set up you have is pretty good though... Keep the sided blacked out... Balls don't like a lot of attention I would go up at least one size on the water bowl but it looks good!

Old 07-30-2014, 04:34 AM   #10
Neilengland
Sides*

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
ball python, ball python morph