What are these red marks on my albino pied? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-06-2017, 10:42 AM   #1
leocrespo
What are these red marks on my albino pied?

She was on reptichip, I moved her to plain paper now. These spots don’t look like scale rot to me, any idea what they are?

Thank you

Old 10-06-2017, 12:42 PM   #2
Robert Walker
Do you feed her live rodents?
How is her cage heated?

Old 10-06-2017, 02:23 PM   #3
leocrespo
Yes live rodents as she doesn’t eat ft, I have an ARS Rack. All the other snakes in the rack are fine, except for her. I took her out of reptichip and put her on paper towel. Does it look like scale rot to you? Scale rot is usually pretty nasty, I’ve never seen just this pinkish thing on the scales.

Old 10-06-2017, 02:24 PM   #4
leocrespo
She just eat today. Look at the pink on her skin, never seen that before

Old 10-06-2017, 02:30 PM   #5
Robert Walker
Quote:
Originally Posted by leocrespo View Post
Yes live rodents as she doesn’t eat ft
Do you have other white snakes? BELs, Pieds, Super Fires, etc. that eat live?

Old 10-06-2017, 02:50 PM   #6
leocrespo
No she is the only one Robert

Old 10-06-2017, 03:02 PM   #7
Robert Walker
In my experience, white ball pythons can show "pink" for a variety of reasons.
1. Live Feeding - rat bites, claws, pink like bruising for lack of a more scientific explanation.
2. Ready to shed. More of a universal pink all over.
3. Too cold, in regard to temperature.
4. Young ball python, 1.5 year old or younger.

If all your snakes are housed the same, I would guess temp. is probably not the issue. I would most likely guess "live" feeding in the case of the pictures you showed, especially if the rodent is left in the cage for an extended time period vs. immediately killed.

I'll post some pics in a moment. Long story short, not scale rot in my opinion, simply a result of being white and being able to see the "red" blood closer to the surface thus appearing "pink".

Old 10-06-2017, 03:08 PM   #8
Robert Walker
If a darker pigmented snake was a live feeder and sustained the same interaction with it's prey as the white snake, it simply would not be as easy to see as it is on a white snake.

This picture, you can see the belly becomes pink as it approaches shed time.
Attached Images

Old 10-06-2017, 03:10 PM   #9
leocrespo
Thank you for the detailed reply. You’re definitely right on 1 and 4, and got me worried about temps. I set the thermostat to 100, so that the tub is at 96, but the upper layer of reptichip is always at 85sh.

I was told that the temperature of the tub itself is the important one, not on the top of the substrate. Should I bump up the heat?

Top of substrate

Tub temperature

Where I have the thermostat sensor. It’s directly on top of the heat panel

Old 10-06-2017, 03:12 PM   #10
Robert Walker
Two BELs, a 2 year old next to a 5-6 month old, if I recall correctly. Pink in both. less with age.
Attached Images

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!