Viper Boa Sex Identification - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-25-2018, 10:28 PM   #1
justgerrardz
Viper Boa Sex Identification

Hi friends!, I just got female viper boa few days ago from the trusted seller in my city. But I doubt she is real female because I found little spurs on her anal.

I read from few articles sometime they said female don't have spurs, and another said, some female have a little spurs.

What do you think, guys?

Name:  20180925_220305.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  119.8 KB
Name:  20180925_220346_HDR.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  160.0 KB
Name:  20180925_220024.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  192.2 KB

Old 09-26-2018, 12:10 AM   #2
Helenthereef
Could be either, depending on age.

I keep Candoia bibroni bibroni (Fiji Boas), not Vipers, but in my Candoia while they were young and small, the spurs were only seen in males.

My adult females now do have visible spurs, but they only became visible as they grew to full size (now over 10 years old and 6 feet long).

So, technically either sex can have spurs, but while they are young they are really only perceptible in the males. Do you know how old your snake is?

Old 09-26-2018, 01:04 AM   #3
justgerrardz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
Could be either, depending on age.

I keep Candoia bibroni bibroni (Fiji Boas), not Vipers, but in my Candoia while they were young and small, the spurs were only seen in males.

My adult females now do have visible spurs, but they only became visible as they grew to full size (now over 10 years old and 6 feet long).

So, technically either sex can have spurs, but while they are young they are really only perceptible in the males. Do you know how old your snake is?

I'm no sure how old my snake is.. but i can say now she enter juvenile size..

I also have compared with my male viper boa, and i can see the head shape slightly different.. female one have thiner head than male..

Old 09-26-2018, 01:29 AM   #4
Helenthereef
Quote:
Originally Posted by justgerrardz View Post
I'm no sure how old my snake is.. but i can say now she enter juvenile size..

I also have compared with my male viper boa, and i can see the head shape slightly different.. female one have thiner head than male..
How do her spurs compare with the male? Are they smaller?

If she had NO spurs you could be certain, but small spurs does not means she can't be female. If it was me, I'd keep her, but try to get a written guarantee from the seller that if, in future after you try to mate her, she turns out to be male, you can return her for a full refund.

Old 09-26-2018, 01:48 AM   #5
Helenthereef
Here are a couple of photos from my Candoia:

First - Male very obvious spur.
Second - Female no spur, or spur so small you can't see it amongst the scales.

These snakes were less than a year old.
Attached Images

Old 09-26-2018, 02:19 AM   #6
justgerrardz
Quote:
How do her spurs compare with the male? Are they smaller?

If she had NO spurs you could be certain, but small spurs does not means she can't be female. If it was me, I'd keep her, but try to get a written guarantee from the seller that if, in future after you try to mate her, she turns out to be male, you can return her for a full refund.

yaa.. too bad, there is no guarantee here.. Now I just can wish that she is pure female..

Old 09-26-2018, 02:20 AM   #7
justgerrardz
Quote:
Here are a couple of photos from my Candoia:

First - Male very obvious spur.
Second - Female no spur, or spur so small you can't see it amongst the scales.

These snakes were less than a year old.

yes.. i can't see her spurs

Old 09-26-2018, 02:28 AM   #8
Helenthereef
I actually think she's probably female, just can't be 100% certain.
My large females now have quite obvious spurs.

Old 09-26-2018, 02:32 AM   #9
justgerrardz
Quote:
I actually think she's probably female, just can't be 100% certain.
My large females now have quite obvious spurs.
I will upload my male's pictures soon.. so we can discuss it further.. btw, thank you for your response..

having a bibroni actually on of my dream list, even I can't have it in Indonesia..

Old 09-26-2018, 05:26 PM   #10
Helenthereef
I must confess I love my bibroni - check out their blog (below my signature) for some photos if you are interested.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!