HELP!!savannah monitor w/ parylzed hind legs - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-11-2005, 11:48 AM   #1
ephraim
HELP!!savannah monitor w/ parylzed hind legs

I just recieved a Baby Savannah Monitor yesterday (11/10) in the mail. I opened the box to let the girl out and she would'nt move. I dangled a nightcrawler in her face and she only flicked her toungue out maybe 1/4" and very weakily. I noticed right away that her belly looked fat but her butt sloped down towards her tail so I believe she is somewhat malnutritioned. Finally I gently let her down into a small aqaurium to see if she would move around. Well, she did but not how I expected. She moved very slow and pulled herself across the sand by her front legs but did not move any part of her legs. Right away I called the guy I got her from and told him. He told me that, that very morning he was cleaning out his cage and noticed his was dragging its back legs. I went to the store and got some pedialyte. I soaked her in it overnight and noticed that she was drinking a lot of the water and seemingly more alert. I tried to get her to eat a crawler again and she slowly took it in her mouth but did not have the strength to eat it. Also she seemed to be swallowing a lot as if she had a sore throat. I think she may have some respiratory problems and have her drinking pedialyte, soaking in it and in about 90 degree temperatures. I need to know what is wrong, what to do, and is it contagous to other reptiles.

Old 11-11-2005, 12:02 PM   #2
Cat_72
Sorry I can't help you out with this one, I know nothing about Monitors, but it sounds very sad. I will say, whoever you bought her from should NEVER have shipped her to you in that condition, especially if he admits to seeing her dragging her hind legs!!! Personally, I woudn't believe any kind of advice this guy gives you, he obviously doesn't know what he's doing (and probably doesn't care). I would take her straight to a vet.

However, I would recommend you email one of the moderators and ask them to move this post to an appropriate forum...this isn't the place for it, and you'd probably get a lot better response in the Monitors forum.

Old 11-11-2005, 03:55 PM   #3
coyote
The first thing that comes to my mind is....This can be one of the more common symptoms of not just simply poor nutrition, but advanced "Metabolic Bone Disease" hypocalcemia. Some MAJOR improvements in husbandry will be required to correct this, IF it can be reversed at all.

A visit with a herp qualified veterinarian is in order. Today. Seriously, you need the involvement of a professional.

What kind of set up are you housing her in?

Old 11-11-2005, 04:02 PM   #4
Cat_72
Wait......I read that wrong, didn't I??? He saw the REMAINING monitor dragging its legs is what he said, not the one he sent you. DUH.

Regardless.......you need to get the baby to the vet.....

Old 11-11-2005, 06:00 PM   #5
crotalusadamanteus
Have you seen a vet yet?
If it is affecting the other one at his house in the same time frame, it may be something they ate as well. Perhaps not digesting well, or impacting. ???
Just throwing things out there. Like stated, a vet is in order. If you do not know of a herp vet in your area, here is a site with a list of reptile qualified vets all over the country. Herp Vet Connection

I am sure there is one you can at least call. Good luck.

Ciao,
Rick

Old 11-11-2005, 06:24 PM   #6
Jim O
This is an extremely sick animal. I would also worry about impaction with bloated belly and paralyzed lower extremities, but I'm certain there are other possibilities. In any event, it needs to be seen by a qualified herp vet pronto.

Old 11-11-2005, 08:02 PM   #7
Junkyard
There are a lot of signs of impaction. The big belly with its back slopping. Loss of use to its lower extremeties, drinking lots of fluid and refusing food. Go see a vet, that is the best advice here. You can also use organic baby food like turkey for protein, squash(some report it causes a laxative affect in reptiles) using an eye dropper. Warm water soaks a few times a day, and warm temperatures. Keep her off of sand substrate, put her on paper, in case she eats the substrate. Follow all instructions given you by your Vet. And Good Luck!

Old 11-12-2005, 10:17 AM   #8
Reptileking636
that squash theory is true, i learned the hard way. I would definately take her to the vet ASAP.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!