New Show in Minnesota! - Page 9 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shows & Events

Notices

Shows & Events Since these are such a big part of our business, it is appropriate that we discuss them from a business perspective.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:42 AM   #81
The BoidSmith
Let's re-think about it.

Dan

Old 12-12-2007, 02:57 AM   #82
Cat_72
I'm still game to help out if I can.....hoping to be working less and have more free time in the upcoming year. Or at least work normal, human hours, lol.

So if there's anything I can do to help, please don't hesitate to let me know. I'd love to have another MN show.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:19 AM   #83
The BoidSmith
Cathy,

I was counting on you! We were talking with Mark on the phone yesterday and we are going to start making some inquiries. We need to think of a list of potential "sponsors".

Regards,

Dan

Old 12-12-2007, 12:33 PM   #84
Miss Tuniwha
well I really hope something can be worked out.. *sigh*

Old 12-15-2007, 06:05 AM   #85
Cat_72
Quote:
Originally Posted by The BoidSmith
Cathy,

I was counting on you! We were talking with Mark on the phone yesterday and we are going to start making some inquiries. We need to think of a list of potential "sponsors".

Regards,

Dan
Well, I have little experience with organizing anything on this scale, but hopefully my enthusiasm will make up for lack of knowledge, lol. Point me in a direction and I'm off and running.

Old 12-21-2007, 02:30 PM   #86
Mark Schmidtke
Quote:
I forgot to add, although there were a few people that were definately interested in vending, there were many that said they would be interestd but that didn't seem to committed.
I would have been interested, very interested as a matter of fact, but I never heard a single word about it. I only happened across this posting by accident.

Where were you advertising and who were you talking to about it?

Mark

Old 12-21-2007, 07:11 PM   #87
The BoidSmith
Mark,

It was just a talk among ourselves; those here in Fauna and located in the Midwest. We are just re-starting the conversation that we dropped a while ago. Do you have any ideas or leads where to start?

Thanks,

Dan

Old 12-22-2007, 02:17 AM   #88
Mark Schmidtke
Well, I'm not sure I'd want to run something like this myself, it seems like it would be a pretty big job. But I'd like to help if there was something I could do. I'm a fairly active member of the Minnesota Herp Society and know quite a few people there. I've also been a member of the board of directors in past years and sat in on some discussions on holding a herp show. A new board will be taking over this coming January and there is no way to know how they would handle such a request, but in the past it's been the herp societies policy to remain neutral about herp shows. There are society members who are pet store owners who would not want to see a show come to town because they see it as unfair competition. On the other hand there are society member who are breeders who would love to see a show so close to home as it would greatly cut down their travel expenses. So, in the interest of fairness, the society has in the past and would most likely in the future, not be interested in running a show and may not even want to 'officially' endorse one. The single exception to that has always been the Midwest Herp Symposium where the Sunday sale is a small but traditional part of an entire weekend event with the main focus of the Symposium is the all day lecture series on Saturday. However, like I said, you can never tell how a new board will react so it never hurts to ask for help. Also, what ever their decision, they'd be more then happy to at least let the membership know about the event and would gladly accept advertising for it (the rates are not too bad) And thats not insignificant since there are somewhere around 300-400 active members who would be more likely then the general public to be attendees. One good place to ask opinions would be the MN herp Socs listserv on yahoo.

Personally I would LOVE to see something like this happen, but I think it would be hard to organize unless you've got the right people to do it.

Mark

Old 12-22-2007, 10:11 AM   #89
The BoidSmith
Quote:
There are society members who are pet store owners who would not want to see a show come to town because they see it as unfair competition.
Not to be disrespectful to them, but they are thinking scarcity and that tends to multiply. Think abundance and it also multiplies. By promoting reptiles in a given region they will only increase potential future clientele. I agree with you though it's not easy but at least it is worth giving it a try. From what you say it would be worth to wait until we have the new board in place and then making some contacts. Even if some are not entirely convinced about the concept I don't think it's a good move to organize such an event and not have at least the partial support of the MN Herpetological Society. Could you let us know about names and contacts once it's official?

Thanks and Merry Christmas

Dan

Old 12-22-2007, 02:07 PM   #90
Mark Schmidtke
Quote:
Not to be disrespectful to them, but they are thinking scarcity and that tends to multiply. Think abundance and it also multiplies. By promoting reptiles in a given region they will only increase potential future clientèle.
Dan, I agree with you, but I'm not the one you have to convince. I have discussed this with some people before and they are not in favor of it for the reasons I've already stated. However, while they likely would not support it, I doubt that the pet store owners would actively work against it.

Quote:
I agree with you though it's not easy but at least it is worth giving it a try. From what you say it would be worth to wait until we have the new board in place and then making some contacts. Even if some are not entirely convinced about the concept I don't think it's a good move to organize such an event and not have at least the partial support of the MN Herpetological Society. Could you let us know about names and contacts once it's official?
It's already official, The elections were last November. They'll be taking office starting in January. Since the December meeting is already over I guess they already are in charge. Here is a web page that shows the current board members with their E-mail addresses. http://www.bellmuseum.org/herpetology/CurrentBoard.html

Also, here is where you can sign up for the listserv if you want to ask any questions of the general membership. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Mnherpsoc/ Bill Moss is the owner/moderator of the list so if you have any questions of what is permissible to post you can ask him. His yahoo ID is mngatorguy2

If there is anyone you want me to contact, let me know. You can reach me by E-mail at ball_python02@hotmail.com

Mark

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!