Bad Guy Outbackreptiles.com - Page 6 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:43 PM   #51
BucksReptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin s. View Post
well i do think his potential customers should know the quality (or lack there of) of his animals because there is NO excuse for keeping or selling geckos in that condition. that is poor husbandry and poor ethics.

These were actually animals that came in from a large gecko breeder... name will not be enclosed... That felt bad and did not want to add them to their freezer collection. Josh made a simple mistake going through the gecko tubs and packed some of these animals that were going to be free to good home animals, instead of animals for sale.
Josh took proper action talking to the purchaser to correct the error, while their neice felt the urge to carry on without knowing the issue had been resolved.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:46 PM   #52
ShiffyAME
not trying to defend anybody here, and def. not saying it's right to let geckos get in that condition let alone sell them. but thought i would add that i've bought a few snakes from outback in person at shows and all were nice and fat and at a great price, not to mention thriving. but they def. didn't have anything looking like those geckos on the table. again not trying to defend anybody cause u must be in one hell of a hurry to not catch especialy the one looking so bad. :rolleyes but i wouldn't be so quick to say they don't care about there animals because out of the tons of stuff i've seen then have out at shows i've never seen any look close to that. maybe they did just get them in for free and were nursing them back to the living. still don't see how u can not notice when u put them in the box.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:51 PM   #53
ShiffyAME
but i wouldn't go as far as saying they don't care about their animals and have all poor quality animals.

Matt shifflett aka shiffy420

Old 12-01-2009, 12:56 PM   #54
rjarosek
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanAng420 View Post
What should happen, is the customer should be refunded in full, AND your company should be held responsible for any/all veterinary care for the animals that will most likely be required in the future.

Then what should happen, is that your company should find a wholesale dealer who doesn't pawn off their sick animals on you, so that this "mistake" doesn't happen again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForkedTung View Post
Interesting, Sound almost exactly like what happened in this situation as well ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAND View Post
There is no excuse for allowing an animal's health to deteriorate like that. That abuse did not just happen over night. It was prolonged abuse and neglect. To accept any animals from someone who practices such poor animal husbandry is unacceptable. To resell these animals under any circumstances is bad business to say the very least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelliH View Post
They toss in messed up, skinny, neglected geckos because they don't want to deal with them. I think that is one of the most disgusting things I have ever read on this forum. I know, I know, some here might roll their eyes and think I am overreacting but take a second look at the condition those leopard geckos are in. Starving, dehydrated, metabolic bone disease! Crap like this makes me kind of ashamed to be a leopard gecko breeder. It really does. Anyone that allows their geckos to deteriorate to the point that the ones above were at should not be keeping any animals period, whether it is the folks at Outback Reptile or their suppliers. And how in the world could anyone mistake those geckos for healthy ones unless they are blind!? Give me a break.

What a mess. I have to agree that changes need to be made in both business and ethics. What a shame. Taking on those sick animals even for free gives this "Big Breeder" an outlet for the sick animals. I myself or my business would never associate with , this "Big Breeder" or outback

Old 12-01-2009, 01:05 PM   #55
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Schultz View Post
What should happen then? Should the animal be euthanized when a few weeks of heavy feeding are all it needs to bounce back and become a good pet for somebody? I know some people are just in it for the money but I try to give every animal a chance. Its much more rewarding when you care about the animals.
Again, To accept any animals from someone who practices such poor animal husbandry is unacceptable. To resell these animals under any circumstances is bad business to say the very least.

And as for "some people are just in it for the money", sorry pal but if you want to buy cheap you'll get crap as we can see. Spend the extra money to get quality animals from a breeder that cares enough to feed their animals and you can make money easier than putting the time and effort into a few weeks of heavy feeding to bounce the poor quality animals back.

The few bucks saved picking up poor quality animals costs you more to get them to a sellable appearance in feed and man hours, not to mention the loss of sales when threads like this occur.

Quote:
Again, its unfortunate that a couple animals went out that weren't supposed to.
No, it's unfortunate that those animals were made to suffer as they apparently did.

Quote:
Since the OP's problem has been resolved I don't see how this thread is heading anywhere constructive.
And that's the problem.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:22 PM   #56
BucksReptiles
Dandy, Kelly, and for all.... Josh has taken care of the issue with Debbie. There is no need to keep carrying on.

The geckos Josh shipped out were actually picked up the night before he shipped them out.

Kelly, it is tough for many breeders who produce leopard geckos to admit all of the defects they produce from leopards with all the varieties of morphs. There are many people like you, and myself who feel bad for these animals. This is actually the reason I stopped breeding leopards. They are produced at such a high volume for profit, and now only worth about $10-$20 for any morph under the sun. Outback Reptiles has a Volunteer who is a non-profit 501-C3 who does her best to provide geckos like the ones you saw posted, to be placed in caring, loving homes. The geckos you see, were mistakenly packaged as they were being prepared to be sent to the White Plains Show in NY, as free geckos.

Debbie, who is the actual purchaser/owner of the geckos was immediately contacted and being taken care of. There is no need for rambling, so save your fingers from carpal tunnel and arthritis. Enjoy your week.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:26 PM   #57
norsmis
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelliH View Post
Leopard geckos should NEVER be allowed to get in the condition of those in the photos posted. That is pure neglect, and long term neglect at that. It takes some time for them to get in that condition. My guess would be not only lack of proper calcium supplementation, but long term starvation, plain and simple.

Jazmin, you did the right thing by posting this thread. I understand that your aunt wanted to keep it quiet but you did a good thing by warning all of us in the leopard gecko community about Ouback Reptiles. Personally, I feel that even if they do offer a credit/refund/or some other sort of compromise, they are still horrible sellers that should be ashamed, yes ASHAMED to allow these beautiful animals to deteriorate to the condition we see them in here. Not only do they have mbd but they are emaciated. Shame on you Outback Reptiles.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:26 PM   #58
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucksReptiles View Post
These were actually animals that came in from a large gecko breeder... name will not be enclosed...
Horse crap! I defy you to find a large gecko breeder that would allow an animal to suffer in the way those animals were made to suffer and then pawn them off to anyone. Hell, anyone, large breeder or not, with a lick of sense would be embarrassed and should be ashamed to let anyone know they did that to those animals.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:29 PM   #59
Mike Schultz
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAND View Post
Hell, anyone, large breeder or not, with a lick of sense would be embarrassed and should be ashamed to let anyone know they did that to those animals.
Which is why they gave them to us to rehab and give away as pets.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:30 PM   #60
kmurphy
Not really about this situation but, I get tired of people posting here that have long threads on other forums and then start a thread here like we all know what's going on.

If you come to the BOI then post the information here just like you did on the other web site. We shouldn't have to follow links and read other threads to get an idea of what's going on.

Just my 2 cents

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
mike schultz, outback reptiles