was I wrong? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-16-2006, 11:29 PM   #1
hhmoore
was I wrong?

In a recent thread in this forum, I told somebody that breeding a bumblebee to a normal may not result in bumblebee offspring. I am certainly no expert on BP genetics, but my thought is that, sure, with a large enough clutch, there may be a bumblebee...but there is a higher likelihood of normals and single trait animals (pastels and spiders) in the typically small BP clutch. Recently, I have seen several ads (from more than one seller) that appear to be claiming otherwise...with wording/phrasing to the effect that:
bumblebee x normal = bumblebees
bumblebee x pastel = killerbees

Nobody corrected me in that thread, but if I was mistaken I would like to go back and clarify things. There is enough misinformation out there, without me contributing to it, lol

Old 08-16-2006, 11:48 PM   #2
Bill & Amy
Well, unless I completely don't understand the genetics you should get pastels, spiders and normals with a slight chance at a bumblebee. But the bee to a pastel should give a chance at killerbees, super pastels, spiders, pastel, bumblebee and normals.

Old 08-17-2006, 12:04 AM   #3
Ed Clark
Long shot at a bee breeding to a normal.pastels,spiders and normals.breed your bee to a spider or pastel for a high dollar clutch.maybe not so high dollar after this summer.hahaha

Old 08-17-2006, 12:05 AM   #4
hhmoore
so you are saying that I was correct in my thoughts/explanation?
In essence, the scenario I painted was 10 good eggs + 3 slugs total from 2 normal females (bred by a bumblebee).
Quote:
Its a crap shoot what will come out of those eggs - you could easily end up with 5 normals, 3 pastels and 2 spiders, assuming that all 10 eggs hatch (there are numerous possibilities, my main point is that you might not get a bumblebee).

Old 08-17-2006, 12:06 AM   #5
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Clark
Long shot at a bee breeding to a normal.pastels,spiders and normals.breed your bee to a spider or pastel for a high dollar clutch.maybe not so high dollar after this summer.hahaha
well, the person I was addressing had two normal females, and really liked bumblebees...so she was talking about purchasing a male bumblebee to breed with them

Old 08-17-2006, 12:07 AM   #6
Bill & Amy
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
so you are saying that I was correct in my thoughts/explanation?
In essence, the scenario I painted was 10 good eggs + 3 slugs total from 2 normal females (bred by a bumblebee).

Old 08-17-2006, 12:19 AM   #7
Ed Clark
suggest to her to purchase a male pastel.which is very cheap right now,and buy the female bee which is much less pricey than the male bee.that would be agreat breeding

oh,and offer to take the 2 normal females off her hands.

Old 08-17-2006, 12:29 AM   #8
hhmoore
lol - I have enough normal females...Once my pastel and spider females are of age, most of the normals will be going.

And that is pretty much what I explained...went on to tell that I had purchased 1.3 pastels and 1.1 spiders for less than the cost of a bumblebee (that was before the initial male fell through...and now there is another female spider, because I just had to have her, lol)

Old 08-17-2006, 12:35 AM   #9
Ed Clark
harald,well it looks like you got bitten by the bp bug,cool snakes though.

Old 08-17-2006, 12:41 AM   #10
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Clark
harald,well it looks like you got bitten by the bp bug,cool snakes though.
If I breed them, and get babiest that consistently start on f/t (or switch after a feeding or two), I might get bitten by that bug. Until then, I want my bumblebee...the bestest bumblebee I can make, even if it takes several years of selective breedings to get it, lol. The normals I have are 05s that I bought for resale...a few of them I decided I liked (they hissed and struck at me), the others I just forgot to sell, now they seem to have squatters rights. roflmao

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!