Snake Room Temp Regulation - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-31-2010, 11:56 AM   #1
Daequix
Snake Room Temp Regulation

I'm thinking of moving all my Ball Pythons in from our current 'lodgings' for them due to issue in controlling the temperature as well as I'd like to.

I'd like to devote one room of the house that I can temp control. What are other people's experiences with this?

What Temperature do you set as your ambient room temp?
And do you or don't you use belly heat in addition?

I've heard a variety of ideas on this, and just wanted to know what others suggest here that have more experience in this.

Thanks ahead of time!

Old 07-31-2010, 02:49 PM   #2
SERPENTS DEN
Setting up a room where you can control heat would be beneficial.
You can set the room temp to 80 - 82 and use belly heat at 90. Having a humidifier in the room would be a nice option too.

Old 07-31-2010, 03:22 PM   #3
Daequix
Quote:
Originally Posted by serpentsden View Post
Setting up a room where you can control heat would be beneficial.
You can set the room temp to 80 - 82 and use belly heat at 90. Having a humidifier in the room would be a nice option too.

Great idea! I'll have to check some humidifiers out this weekend! Thank you for the answer

Old 07-31-2010, 03:51 PM   #4
Matt2979
I haven't gone as far as adding a humidifier, but I do have a dedicated room for all of my snakes. I try to keep it at 80 year round and it never fluctuates more than 2 degrees in either direction (78-82). I also ripped out the carpet and laid engineered hardwood so that if mites do find their way in, they have less area to nest/breed.

Of course this room is ONLY for my colony animals. A separate room is always used for new animals...and 2nd and even 3rd room is used if I bring different groups of animals in at different times. (I try to stick to one dedicated QR, but sometimes it's too easy NOT to get carried away with new blood!!! LOL)

Old 07-31-2010, 04:12 PM   #5
Daequix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2979 View Post
I haven't gone as far as adding a humidifier, but I do have a dedicated room for all of my snakes. I try to keep it at 80 year round and it never fluctuates more than 2 degrees in either direction (78-82). I also ripped out the carpet and laid engineered hardwood so that if mites do find their way in, they have less area to nest/breed.

Of course this room is ONLY for my colony animals. A separate room is always used for new animals...and 2nd and even 3rd room is used if I bring different groups of animals in at different times. (I try to stick to one dedicated QR, but sometimes it's too easy NOT to get carried away with new blood!!! LOL)
I can't rip the carpet out--the landlord MIGHT get a lil irritated with me... but that is a fantastic idea when i finally have my own home! This room will only be for my current snakes, with as usual the Master Bedroom is Isolation central...it beats the living room!

Thank you for the input!

Old 07-31-2010, 04:40 PM   #6
gsrept
i keep my room at 83 degrees and i use back heat works graet i also use a humidifier

Old 07-31-2010, 05:00 PM   #7
Matt2979
Oh yeah....Craig's comment about back-heat reminded me that I left that part out. While I personally prefer belly-heat to back-heat, you do need one or the other in addition to the room at a good ambient temp. Without that additional heat source, your tubs would be either too hot on both sides or (more than likely) too cold on both sides.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:58 PM   #8
Daequix
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsrept View Post
i keep my room at 83 degrees and i use back heat works graet i also use a humidifier
What type of humidifiers...cold air or?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2979 View Post
Oh yeah....Craig's comment about back-heat reminded me that I left that part out. While I personally prefer belly-heat to back-heat, you do need one or the other in addition to the room at a good ambient temp. Without that additional heat source, your tubs would be either too hot on both sides or (more than likely) too cold on both sides.

I already have it set up for belly heat but I guess if they didn't need it (wishful thinking on my part) my electric bill would have been happy! lol So that works!

Thanks all!

Old 07-31-2010, 09:20 PM   #9
gsrept
i use a cold air

Old 07-31-2010, 09:43 PM   #10
Daequix
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsrept View Post
i use a cold air
cool...ty

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!