Giant Squid Filmed Live First Time! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 09-28-2005, 08:27 AM   #1
brucestephenson
Giant Squid Filmed Live First Time!

The Japanese have filmed the giant squid live. A 26 foot specimen at a depth of 3000 feet attacking bait! http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/arti...00010000000001

Old 09-28-2005, 08:17 PM   #2
lizard lover1994
ccooooll

Old 09-28-2005, 08:54 PM   #3
Junkyard
26 feet is HUGE for a giant squid. I found these pics, soeof these are only 13 feet!!
Attached Images

Old 09-30-2005, 07:21 PM   #4
Reptileking636
but the squid might have been much bigger, their calculations were based on the assumption that the tentacle shapped at the base

Old 09-30-2005, 09:41 PM   #5
Karen Hulvey
That is so neat. I knew that eventually someone would get a giant squid on video, it was just a matter of time. No one really knows how large these things can get. Giant squid have left marks on blue whales, the largest whale. So if they are attacking blue whales, they must grow to enormous proportions.

Old 10-02-2005, 12:16 AM   #6
Reptileking636
Quote:
That is so neat. I knew that eventually someone would get a giant squid on video, it was just a matter of time. No one really knows how large these things can get. Giant squid have left marks on blue whales, the largest whale. So if they are attacking blue whales, they must grow to enormous proportions.
Whoa, i dont even want to think about how massive that thing must be to try and take on a blue whale!

Old 10-07-2005, 07:49 AM   #7
SiscoReptiles
I believe that both Jamie & Adam would have to agree that urban myths found on old sea bearing maps of Giant Squid attacking boats in the middle of the sea is now Plausible!

I am sure Buster is relieved that he doesn't have to prove this myth.

Rick

Old 01-27-2006, 10:18 PM   #8
Mooing Tricycle
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptileking636
Whoa, i dont even want to think about how massive that thing must be to try and take on a blue whale!
i dont think its blue whales, though i could be wrong i havent looked it up. But i know for a fact that they do leave scars on Sperm Whales since im pretty positive the Giant squid makes up a decent size of their diet.

we dont even know that much about sperm whales since every time they try to film fromt he backs of these animals the recorder falls off and they also cant go as deep as the whales dive i guess...

I was so excited though when i heard about this! ( i know it was forever ago but i just stumbled upon this thread!! sorry! >_< lol ) I mean who would have thought that wed FINALLY see some living footage of these guys!? ^_^ so awsome!

Old 02-12-2006, 11:58 PM   #9
hognoseman
Exclamation ya

Hey did any one hear that they resently caught a live specimen of the ampire squid form hell! they have had many failed atempets at this so it is pretty cool in my opinion that they caught one finally!

Old 02-14-2006, 12:28 AM   #10
RosterImposter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Hulvey
Here is something I found on google video. A squid taking on a shark, scale this up, and I believe it is what it would look if a giant squid took on a whale.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...09622962894202

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!