Requesting, asking or begging for karma - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 02-21-2007, 08:05 PM   #1
Wilomn
Requesting, asking or begging for karma

Over the years the subject of asking for ratings, be they on the boi as good guy threads, trader ratings, karma points, what have you, has been brought up and discussed.

I'm curious about something specifically regaurding karma points.

We've, well some of us, have gone on record saying that asking for any kind of positive feedback, be it that good guy thread, trader rating or karma point, sort of negates the validity of the thread rating or point.

It should be voluntary, something that is done by the giver because they feel it is the right thing to do.

When someone askes you to say something about them in public, when they come out and ask you to increase their rating so they look better in the eyes of others, when they try to sweeten the pot by giving you what they are asking you to give them, keeping in mind that you made NO request for such, does it bother you?

Do you do it anyway? Do you do it knowing you'll get what you give even if you don't really feel like you should? Do you feel that if you don't the person making the request would hit you with negative karma? How do you feel about persons making such requests?

I'm just curious. I know that I would not ever ask someone to rate me at all because that would sort of obligate them to be nice. Most folks have a real tough time saying no to something so seemingly innocuous as good karma but I still wouldn't put anyone on the spot by asking. I also know that there is a bit of this going on all the time and frankly, I don't like it.

I've been asked to do so in the past. I've generally just ignored the request UNLESS it was something I meant to do and had simply forgotten to take care of.

For example, I sold a snake to a member here over a year ago and I meant to give him a favorable trader rating. It was a great transaction. But, I smiply forgot to do so. It must have been the same for this member because out of the blue I got a rating from this member, which jarred my memory and I reciprocated the favor. However, at NO time did this member EVER request that I post favorably, or not, about our deal. It's sort of off my topic of Karma points but still sort of close to what I'm getting at.

If someone were to just ask you to give them positive karma would you? If so, why? If not, why? Do you think it's ok to ASK for positive karma? Again, why or why not? What do you think of people who are SO insequire that they have to ASK for people to give them positive feedback that would not normally be forthcoming?

Personally, I think if you have to ask for it, you're sorely lacking.

Old 02-21-2007, 08:17 PM   #2
Mike Greathouse
Real simple in my eyes. If you have to ask for it, then you didn't make enough of an impression in your transaction to warrant it. It should be given freely by the other party without any prompting. To ask for it, cheapens it.

Old 02-21-2007, 08:23 PM   #3
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Greathouse
. It should be given freely by the other party without any prompting. To ask for it, cheapens it.

That about sums up my opinion.

Old 02-21-2007, 08:30 PM   #4
Wilomn
That is exactly the response I'd expect from gentlemen such as yourselves Dennis and Mike, exactly.

I'm also looking for opinions of such as yourselve about the type of person who makes such requests.

I see them as less than worthy, kind of slimy, underhanded even, most assuredly NOT good guys.

Do you concur?

Old 02-21-2007, 08:38 PM   #5
Mike Greathouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilomn
That is exactly the response I'd expect from gentlemen such as yourselves Dennis and Mike, exactly.

I'm also looking for opinions of such as yourselve about the type of person who makes such requests.

I see them as less than worthy, kind of slimy, underhanded even, most assuredly NOT good guys.

Do you concur?
I don't think I would go that far Wes.

I've had people that I have dealt with request positive feedback for the transaction. In many of the cases, they were just starting out and trying their best to build a positive reputation. The fact of the matter is, they would have received positive feedback anyway. I didn't fault them for asking.

On the other hand, if someone was to ask me for positive feedback where I felt is was undeserved, I would not feel obligated to do so because of their request.

Old 02-21-2007, 08:43 PM   #6
Mike Greathouse
I should also point out that there have been occasions where, much like the situation that you described, I have simply forgotten to give feedback that was deserved. It was not until I saw a post by the individual or something else sparked my memory, that I gave the overdue praise.

I have also encountered situations where regardless of my searching efforts, I was just unable to determine that the individual was a member here until I stumbled across a post by them.

Old 02-21-2007, 08:43 PM   #7
Dragondad
Although I don't feel in the same league as Mike, Dennis or Wes, my feelings are pretty much the same. I don't ever ask for Karma people can do what they wish, I would never ask for a Trader Rating, if I did my part of a transaction and the party wishes to give it great I will always give mine, (wait can't haven't paid for the privilege of saying the snake I bought came from a good seller).....

Karma here shouldn't be requested, shouldn't be used as a punishment or a manipulation of people. If someone is truly active in this forum then they should understand that some will like what they say and others will dislike it. Thats part of life and major part of posting your "opinion". There are people I dislike here, and yet I would still give positive karma if they said something that I agreed with.

Those that thrive on their Karma points and have to always stay at the top by whatever means don't deserve to be there to begin with.....

Old 02-21-2007, 08:45 PM   #8
Golden Gate Geckos
<post error>

Old 02-21-2007, 08:46 PM   #9
Golden Gate Geckos
Since Trader Rating and Karma Points are two seperate things, being that Trader Ratings are for feedback on a business transaction and Karma Points are for posts that readers either thought were especially good or bad, I have no problem asking or being asked for Trader Ratings. It is like eBay, where a seller and buyer can rate the transaction thereby building or losing a satisfied customer base. The more satisfied customers a seller has, the more likely others will have confidence in buying from them. Sometimes people forget to give these ratings, and a solicited reminder is warranted in my opinion.

Karma Points, on the other hand, are a 'popularity contest' for the content of of their posts. It's an opportunity for readers to either slap you on the back for a post well-done, or a slap in the face for being a jerk. Personally, I do not take these 'points' as seriously as I would a good Trader Rating and would not ask for them nor would I give them if asked.

Here is an example of a post that deserves a negative karma point from readers:
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...&postcount=102

Here is an example of a post that deserves a positive karma point from readers:
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...&postcount=115

Old 02-21-2007, 08:48 PM   #10
Mike Greathouse
Well put Mike.
I was speaking primarily about Trader Ratings, but the Karma is definitely an area where there is some abuse. There are a few "Karma Whores" walking the halls here.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!