Requesting, asking or begging for karma - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 02-21-2007, 10:01 PM   #11
Wilomn
I agree Marcia, those were good posts AND you make a good point about trader ratings; the occasional reminder is not out of place.

I am, in this thread though, more interested in feeling regaurding karma points and the solicitation of them.

It's not to validate anything I think, more to see if there are any thoughts I haven't pondered and just to see what "regular" folks think about it when compared to my views.

Thanks to those who have contributed so far and come on the rest of you, everyone has an opinion, this is a good place to voice it.

Old 02-21-2007, 10:18 PM   #12
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
I agree with Marcia~ it's okay to ask for trader feedback~ tacky to ask for Karma feedback.

But I think I take Karma a bit more personally than some here do. I really appreciate it when I do get karma points~ but I do not pass it out arbitrarily~ most times when I want to give Karma I get the "you must spread it around more" message because it seems the people I agree with were the same ones I agreed with whenever I last decided to give Karma.

I've even given positive Karma to someone who was actively disagreeing with me (and whom I did not like)~ his post was spot on and his logic nailed me uncomfortably in a position where I had to admit he was right while I was wrong. He actually PMed me to ask if I had given him positive karma on accident. I had not. He was right~ I was wrong... Touche!...and as much as that annoyed me......it was a very good post.

Old 02-21-2007, 10:42 PM   #13
Stardust
Great post Cheryl. I can see giving good karma in a situation like that also
I am not into the karma thing, I do give it out but often forget it is there, yesterday I remembered because I was changing my password and happen to see it and looked, lol. Just not a me thing, although it is nice to see I would not depend on it or try to get "karma". I am too much of a walking my own path type person for that

Actually, I agreed with your post so much, especially the point that you can give good karma to the person that proved you wrong that I will give you karma, lol. (Good karma) As I am very much like what you described, touche' is a good thing to keep one grounded and smiling

Old 02-21-2007, 11:14 PM   #14
Stardust
Dang Cheryl I liked your post so much and it made me smile that I forgot to write the rest of what I was going to write about this thread, lol

I do agree that there are people here that seem to thrive on how much "karma" they get or like it is a personality contest. That, I can not agree with. I have not been personally asked, but I have seen when it first came out, people asking for it, to me this is cheesy and really degrading to the person asking for it AND degrading the person whom one is asking as it is 1. putting someone on the spot because you are asking for them to take up your opinion rather then them doing it naturally and 2. thinking that person is not smart enough to recognize their own worth in making a choice. Rather pathetic really and sad.

As I do study Buddhism (gee I wrote this earlier, lol) I tend not to take any of it seriously as this is not the true meaning of karma and certainly not used in the proper context of the religion of Buddhism. I can not take this to a personal level, or will not, it is more to me like kudos then karma. Either way one does not ask for it.

Ok getting out of that, lol, as I would be here forever typing and I don't want to get into that aspect, my "karma" that I give tend to be more for a pat on the back or an I don't agree. I keep it pretty simple.

Old 02-22-2007, 12:03 AM   #15
Clay Davenport
Perhaps it's just me, but it had never occurred to me to ever ask for karma, or that anyone else would for that matter.
I always enjoy when someone adds a karma point and mentions that they enjoyed what I wrote. I don't put any actual value on the karma rating, but it's the sentiment from the fellow forum users which I appreciate.

To ask someone to give you karma would just negate all that, and make the whole thing meaningless.
Aside from the fact it's just petty, and obviously tacky, there can't be any appreciation when the recognition was requested.

I always knew people asked for trader ratings, that can actually mean something, and in certain circumstances requesting it can be acceptable.
The karma system, while a fun toy to play with I suppose, has no bearing or meaning on anything at all. Getting good karma benefits nothing but the receiver personally and that benefit is intangible, it's just a feel good sort of thing. Asking for it prevents one from being able to feel good about it and therefore cancels out the only benefit the system actually has.
I just can't get my mind around the reasons one would have to do that.

Old 02-22-2007, 01:33 AM   #16
shrap
Karma? You have to be kidding right? Seriously, if someone asked me to give them karma I would probably laugh myself into tears.

The Trader Rating on the other hand does not bother me if people ask. Like Mike, I would have every intention of giving a good rating if the transaction was smooth in the first place. Or ding them if warranted.

The GGC is something I view as a recommendation. If I voted positive on your certificate it is because I would not hesitate to send any person, including my grandma, to you because I feel that they will be treated with the utmost respect and professionalism.

If I didnt vote at all it just means I am not that familiar with you. Nothing more, nothing less. That or I just missed you the time I went through there and placed all my votes.

If I voted that I think you are a bad guy..... well, pretty self explanatory.

Praise.... acknowledgment..... that is really what we are talking about here. And as my grandpa used to say.... if you are really that good, you dont have to brag on yourself, other folks will be doing that for you.

Old 02-22-2007, 01:49 AM   #17
Mooing Tricycle
After thinking about this a bit, i would say, that there is not a whole ton wrong with asking for feedback if the transaction went well on both ends.

I guess im used to ebay, so i will consistently remind people to leave feedback, and i do the same. Most other members also do the same. its something that people can honestly forget to do. So a simple polite reminder is the best way to go about it.

Really, i feel its the way you go about it, I for one, will leave feedback regardless. And i will let that person know im doing so. on the other hand, if they dont feel like leaving feedback. Im not going to cry about it. It is something you earn, and if they dont want to participate, well, thats their own thing.

For me, if you leave feedback, Sweet! Thank you! if not, oh well, im still glad to have done business with you, and if im pleased, youll know with my feedback.

I dont require it, but appreciate it when its given.

I dont ask for karma though, thats just silly... and its really meaningless in terms of who would do business with you. and its not based on business in the first place, its peoples opinions on your posts, you cant ask people to give you that sort of thing. Though you CAN try to make some really good posts to help boost it ^_- its something you have to work for though.

Old 02-22-2007, 01:54 AM   #18
Dennis Hultman
I have a slightly different take on the trader rating than most. Some reason I find it in bad taste to ask.

Maybe, it’s an outdated view and I’m just not with it anymore.

Old 02-22-2007, 02:03 AM   #19
Suncoast Herpetological
One scenario that has been missed , I think is worthy of mention. I have had several people over the last couple of years contact me at the end of a successful transaction and state that they would be happy and eager to state their satisfaction with the transaction publicly. Since I do not have a "Testimonial" page on my site, i generally direct them here.

Definitely not solicited but always appreciated.

I tend to agree with the masses here though. If you have to ask for it, you probably don't deserve it.

Old 02-22-2007, 04:24 AM   #20
hhmoore
Like many, I feel that it is in VERY poor taste to request a post to a BOI thread...and I have told a number of people that same thing when they solicited a post. Trader Ratings, well, I don't have quite the same level of objection to that, but it still doesn't sit right. For people that don't know me, I will generally direct them here (to Fauna, not specifically The Stardust Lounge) ...with links to my BOI threads, Trader Rating, and GCC. I find that more desirable than repeatedly giving out contact information for references, though I will still do that if asked. In addition, they are made aware of the types of feedback that can be left here should they choose.

As long as we are close to the subject - I also think that voting in one's own GCC poll is pretty tacky, though I have been noticing more of it recently

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!