Florida Firearms Laws - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 03-01-2007, 11:23 PM   #11
jsrocket
Quote:
Originally Posted by varnyard
Since this was a question before I decided to clear this up as well.

Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose
I would take that to mean that, if for example, you were at a Holiday Inn, it would not be illegal to carry in the hotel, just the bar.

Old 03-01-2007, 11:23 PM   #12
Ken Harbart
I'd like to clarify a few items from the no carry list that Bobby posted, as the language on the Division of Licensing page, and even sometimes in FS 790.06 can throw people for a loop...

Quote:
any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms
Not a biggie, but just remember that NASCAR is considered a pro sporting event. Likewise, if you opt to visit the World of the pocket-picking mouse, steer clear of the Wide World of Sports complex or leave it in the hotel.

Quote:
any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption
This means just the bar area, and not the entire establishment. This is clarified in the excerpt of FS 790.06 that Bobby also posted, as well as by an AG Opinion.

Quote:
inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport
Note that this is not just the sterile area, but also includes the entire passenger terminal. This includes non-secure areas such as ticketing, baggage clam, food court, ground transportation, etc.

Additionally, hospitals are generally off-limits, which is a little known fact, as it is not publicized. The restriction is covered in FS 394.458. This statute has been used to restrict carry even in hospitals without mental health units. The rationale is that just about every hospital is covered, as almost all can provide for Baker Act evaluations.

Old 03-01-2007, 11:24 PM   #13
Ken Harbart
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrocket
I would take that to mean that, if for example, you were at a Holiday Inn, it would not be illegal to carry in the hotel, just the bar.
Correct. The same holds true for restaurants with bar or lounge areas.

Old 03-01-2007, 11:25 PM   #14
brucestephenson
I always carry a light-saber. But remember, Han Solo said you should always have a good blaster at your side. I have heard tell about guys going to the Tampa show with concealed firearms permits. The problem is that I really suspect that you have people carrying without a permit, and people carrying who cannot own guns, that are going to have them at the shows regardless.

Old 03-01-2007, 11:34 PM   #15
varnyard
I would also like to add this, it is our legal right by law as a honest, law-abiding person:

15) The Legislature finds as a matter of public policy and fact that it is necessary to provide statewide uniform standards for issuing licenses to carry concealed weapons and firearms for self-defense and finds it necessary to occupy the field of regulation of the bearing of concealed weapons or firearms for self-defense to ensure that no honest, law-abiding person who qualifies under the provisions of this section is subjectively or arbitrarily denied his or her rights. The Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services shall implement and administer the provisions of this section. The Legislature does not delegate to the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services the authority to regulate or restrict the issuing of licenses provided for in this section, beyond those provisions contained in this section. Subjective or arbitrary actions or rules which encumber the issuing process by placing burdens on the applicant beyond those sworn statements and specified documents detailed in this section or which create restrictions beyond those specified in this section are in conflict with the intent of this section and are prohibited. This section shall be liberally construed to carry out the constitutional right to bear arms for self-defense. This section is supplemental and additional to existing rights to bear arms, and nothing in this section shall impair or diminish such rights.

Old 03-01-2007, 11:38 PM   #16
jsrocket
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucestephenson
The problem is that I really suspect that you have people carrying without a permit, and people carrying who cannot own guns, that are going to have them at the shows regardless.
You may be right, Bruce, but if they get caught, they are lookin' at a world of trouble.

Old 03-02-2007, 12:02 AM   #17
garweft
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucestephenson
I always carry a light-saber.
Same here!! An elegant weapon from a more civilized time.

Old 03-02-2007, 12:03 AM   #18
varnyard
This might be true, but as I posted above. It is our legal right by law as a honest, law-abiding person.

I have mine!!

Old 03-02-2007, 12:31 AM   #19
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy-hound
You must have a permit to carry a concealed weapon in Florida. That's the law. IF the building says "No weapons permitted inside" then even IF you have a permit, you cannot carry it into the building.
We had this issue at a public building we have meetings in. This is what we found.
Hope it helps.
Wolfy
It seems to me I recall reading about legal issues such as this, and there was some likelihood of liability on the part of the owner of such an establishment relating to an implied responsibility to the welfare of the public within the building. The reasoning here is that if the owner or responsible person denies you the ability to defend yourself against criminal activity within the confines of a building or grounds under their authority, then they take on the risk of liability if such an event should take place and that restriction prevents you from being able to defend yourself. So, in effect, if you got mugged in the convention center during Expo, whoever was responsible for the posting of a "No Firearms Allowed" notice, could possibly be sued for failing to provide for your safety after removing the possibility of you providing for your own defense. Seems to me I recall Lowe's used to post such notices until this scenario was presented to upper management. Subsequently, those signs were removed, which leads me to believe that their attorneys recognized the legal jeopardy such signs could incur for that company.

Not sure it has ever been tested in court, but I would suspect that is a distinct possibility that would result in AT LEAST a respectable settlement whether it went before a jury or not. Florida does provide quite a bit of legislative support for it's citizens to protect their life and limb (ie, the Castle Doctrine Law), so certainly someone attempting to buck the will of the legislature by denying citizens those rights might very well prove to become a lawyer's chew toy if a criminal incident should take place at their establishment.

Old 03-02-2007, 01:08 AM   #20
brucestephenson
Quote:
Originally Posted by garweft
Same here!! An elegant weapon from a more civilized time.

That is a great lightsaber! However, only Sith lords use the red crystal to generate a red light source.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!