Scales N Tails BAD NEWS! - Page 6 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 12-24-2003, 10:28 AM   #51
Mark and Aimee
Just for info....

Scales N Tails was named one of the top growing pet businesses in the US by "Pet Busines Monthly". There was a great writeup on them - the article said they will be adding two new locations in the near future.

IF you're in the pet store business and get this magazine, check the article out.

They must be doing SOMETHING right...

Oh - and we purchased a pair of baby Veiled Chameleons from them last weekend. Both are extremely healthy, doing great, and look fantastic. Then again, we DID hand pick them ourselves...

Old 12-24-2003, 12:33 PM   #52
colubridman88
Scales is Mile high

Jim Whitt owns scales n tails and mile high reptile. The mile high name is still in use. The only thing that that article proves is Jim is making lots of money, not that he is providing quality animals. Jim personally managed to kill 2 albino ball pythons and a PIEBALD. A PIEBALD. Understandable things happen,but if you are losing snakes worth several thousand dollars, you got to be doing something wrong . My little sister can take care of snakes better than jim. Glad to hear your veilds are doing good aimee and mark.
Jesse Smith

Old 12-24-2003, 02:32 PM   #53
joshua01
Re: Scales is Mile high

Quote:
Originally posted by colubridman88
Jim Whitt owns scales n tails and mile high reptile. The mile high name is still in use. The only thing that that article proves is Jim is making lots of money, not that he is providing quality animals. Jim personally managed to kill 2 albino ball pythons and a PIEBALD. A PIEBALD. Understandable things happen,but if you are losing snakes worth several thousand dollars, you got to be doing something wrong . My little sister can take care of snakes better than jim. Glad to hear your veilds are doing good aimee and mark.
Jesse Smith
Piebalds are often picky eaters. So what if he lost a few animals, that happens to the best breeders sometimes. If he is making "lots of money" he must be doing something right... I don't see what the difference is between a morph and a normal being lost. They are both snakes, and both can have health problems.

Old 12-24-2003, 02:45 PM   #54
pituophissayi
Ok, if Jim Whitt runs his personal collection anything like the stores, that would be a problem. Don't you think? and yes it is a snake but a piebald depending on type will run him up to like what 15k? i think i would do EVERYTHING in my power to save it. but that's me.

Old 12-24-2003, 04:53 PM   #55
Mark and Aimee
Jesse, can you quote a source for your information?

FWIW, I too have had a nice animal die on me once or twice. Does this make me a terrible person or a bad reptile keeper? I don't think so.

You didn't mention if the Ball Pythons that supposedly died were adults, babies or somewhere in between. If they were babies, heck yeah I believe it! Have you EVER dealt with baby ball pythons? If you have, you've had a few die on you. Sometimes you can do everything in your power, and it won't make a damn bit of difference.

Jesse, if your story about 2 albinos and a piebald is just some rumor you heard in a store or at a herp show or from a buddy, it might be best if you just leave it there. If you have some kind of proof, well, it still doesn't make a damn bit of difference unless you know what happened.

I'm sure you breed snakes, based on your username here. So tell me - hold long have you been keeping reptiles, and have you ever had one or two die on you?

I'm sorry - good story, but I don't buy it and even if it is true - it has no bearing here.

Old 12-24-2003, 05:07 PM   #56
Mark and Aimee
Quote:
and yes it is a snake but a piebald depending on type will run him up to like what 15k? i think i would do EVERYTHING in my power to save it. but that's me.
Zach, have you ever lost an animl, despite your efforts to save it?

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...6538#post86538

Quote:
I recently had my female boa die due to her not eating and stress from force feeding.

Old 12-24-2003, 07:56 PM   #57
pituophissayi
I am not saying that animals don't die, i am merely saying that if he keeps his personal collection as well as the stores keep theirs (judging by peoples comments on the south store and my experience with the west store) then i am pretty sure it was husbandry related and in that case i have no sympathy because there are steps that can be taken to prevent it, and also your comment to Jesse is more than valid if they were babies... then yes i understand that too, but if they were healthy adults and he kept them like the stores, it doesn't surprise me. If it was all beyond his control, i'm sorry, and DAMN that's gotta suck. but if it was husbandry related, it's his fault and it was a... stupid mistake.

Old 12-24-2003, 08:18 PM   #58
Mark and Aimee
Thanks for your comments Zack.

To all - please excuse my various misspellings and torture of the English language. I don't know what my problem is lately... But I would like to think it is not the norm. I generally proofread my posts before hitting the damn "submit reply" button :-)

Old 03-28-2010, 06:52 PM   #59
DarkDazeys
I live in Colorado Springs, where there is only one Scales 'N Tails. I have noticed
1. Dirty floors and cages- they let a tortoise walk around on the dirty floor all day long
2. Patronizing employees who just sit around and talk about their personal lives
3. Emaciated/ sick-looking animals
4. Animals with bad sheds

One of the employees was trying to do anything in his power to sell me live rats, even though I kept telling him that my snake will not take live and I only feel comfortable feeding F/T. I just found the experience at that store all around bad. The only reason why I went a second and third time was because I had a cricket card that I needed to empty.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:47 PM   #60
Archie Bottoms
Sad thing is your employ base of any buisness can make you or break you.Haveing owned and worked in an exotic pet shop who you have out front is who you are.Arrogant workers non help full employs will kill the sales.The representation of the store is every thing.If you are overpowered by the smell when you enter you have already lost.I have a friend who owns the shop I worked at ,(my shop went broke my fault)he will not tolerate a lazy employ or a rude one period.When a costomer comes in you must meet there needs other wise they will not come back.The one key to success is clean clean clean always stay on top of the smell and be nice

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!