A BOY in Cambodia keeps a 4.8 metre Burmese python as a pet - and it's also his best - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:51 PM   #1
wcreptiles
A BOY in Cambodia keeps a 4.8 metre Burmese python as a pet - and it's also his best

I saw a picture of this kid a few years back and didn't think he would make it this long before he was lunch for his pet. I see he made it, some day we will be reading a different story.

----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...icle519150.ece

A BOY in Cambodia keeps a 4.8 metre Burmese python as a pet - and it's also his best friend.

Seven-year-old Sambath Uon met the snake when he was just a few months old and they became firm friends.

The boy’s father tried to return the snake to the forest three times, but the snake kept on coming back.

Now the villagers from Sit Tbow, 50km east of Phnom Penh, have now befriended the snake, believing it brings good fortune.

And Sambath refuses to sleep without Chamreun, or Lucky, in Khmer, despite the fact he could bite the boy or easily kill him by constriction.

He spends all his time playing with the snake and teaching it tricks, saying: "I love the python like my sister."

They even have the same diet of ducks and chickens, rather than the rats and frogs it would be expected to eat.

"My boy and the snake have been living very happily since he was born seven years ago. They are the same age," Samang's father said.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.livenews.com.au/Articles/...out_20ft_snake

Usually it's a cuddly teddy bear or a favourite action figure that kids need before they can get to bed. But not for Cambodian six-year-old Sambath Uon; he needs "Lucky", his trusty six-metre long python, before he can sleep.

"I love the python like my sister," Sambath said.

"All my friends are jealous of her."

Sambath first encountered the snake when he was three months old, and Lucky was only 50cm.

His parents didn't like to see Lucky with Sambath, and tried to take her back into the forest three times - only to find that Lucky would keep returning to her child owner.

Sambath's mother, Kim Kanara, said: "We would find it asleep next to Sambath. They have slept together every night for the past six years."

"She is a member of the family now. We shelter, feed, bathe and even pray to her."

The family even suggests the python has magical healing powers.

"Some recovered from sickness after being blessed by her," Mrs Kanara added.

Off the wall says: This boy will never, ever have problems with bullies.

-----------------------------------------------
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...ambodia127.xml

Boy's best friend is a 4.8-metre-long python
By Sally Peck
Last Updated: 3:51pm GMT 28/11/2007

While many children might wish to curl up with a dog or cat, a young Cambodian boy prefers to spend his time with a 4.8-metre-long python.

How about that: Weird and wacky stories from around the world
Stumpy II: Three-legged duck born in China
Farmer saves himself by cutting off arm
In the village of Sit Tbow, 50 kilometres east of Phnom Penh, Sambath Uon, seven, reportedly refuses to go to sleep without the company of his pet, Chamreun, or Lucky, in Khmer.

Telegraph TV: Sambath and his pet are the same age

The snake slithered into town in 2000, when Sambath was just a few months old.

While the boy's father tried to return the snake to the forest three times, the Burmese python loyally returned to her young master and has earned the acceptance of villagers, who think she brings good fortune.

Young Sambath said of his faithful companion: "I love the python like my sister."

The affection appears to be mutual, despite the fact that pythons are typically afraid of people and avoid humans if at all possible.

One of the world's largest snakes, the Burmese python, which is found throughout Southeast Asia, can grow up to 8 metres long and weigh up to 180 kg. Females like Lucky are typically longer than males.

While its attractive skin patterns and colours have made the Burmese python popular with the fashion industry and reptile keepers, they make unpredictable pets.

The python's seemingly docile nature conceals the snake's true power; Lucky would be capable of inflicting fierce bites or easily killing a human by constriction.
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2007, 01:11 PM   #2
Dennis Hultman
Here is the link to the report last year. Also, a video of the boy and python.

http://www.knbc.com/news/9427870/detail.html

Old 11-28-2007, 06:28 PM   #3
IloveSnakes1234
I don't understand why people make a big deal of this..? I think that boy is doing a good thing, maybe he should give the snake a little time to rest but at least he respects it and he doesn't kill it, like, most 7-8 year olds would do....
One thing was odd in there though
Quote:
They even have the same diet of ducks and chickens, rather than the rats and frogs it would be expected to eat.
Frogs? LOL Kinda' funny IMO. And they eat the same things? wow...

Old 11-28-2007, 07:25 PM   #4
wcreptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveSnakes1234
I don't understand why people make a big deal of this..? I think that boy is doing a good thing, maybe he should give the snake a little time to rest but at least he respects it and he doesn't kill it, like, most 7-8 year olds would do....
One thing was odd in there though

Frogs? LOL Kinda' funny IMO. And they eat the same things? wow...

That's great that he loves his snake but someday he will smell like a frog or chicken and Lucky the Burm will go into feeding mode and it's good-by little boy, I hope it never happens. I saw a picture of him as a baby with this snake and he (the child) was a perfect food size. There are plenty of stupid-feeding-mistakes with keepers, just check out the "bite thread". An adult male should not handle Lucky alone, he should have at least one if not two experienced helpers standing by.

Maybe Lucky bonded with him because they were raised together but I don't think snakes have that much intelligence. They are creatures of instinct and I'm guessing someday instinct may take over.

I just posted this as a FYI somewhat interesting story from the otherside of the world. What do you think would have happened if this was in the states, I'm guessing abuses charges, child removed from home, snakes banned from the county.

Old 12-01-2007, 12:07 PM   #5
Rattlesnake
I think it is a good possibility that this young man will eventually become a meal for this snake.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!