Flowers during NY winter - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Flora > Flora General Discussions

Notices

Flora General Discussions This will cover anything and everything you all wish to discuss about plants.

Old 08-15-2010, 01:36 PM   #1
malves85
Flowers during NY winter

I'm not a plant person so I need some help here. I have Uromastyx lizards that loves flowers. I have Geraniums in the backyard and a Hibiscus the girlfriend just got for inside the house. With the fall aproaching I am going to need to get a few potted plants for in the house that will continue to give me flowers during the winter. I'm in NY and nothing grows here.
We just got the Hibiscus this year so I'm hoping that will give us flowers during the winter? What other plants can I have indoors that will give me flowers? Below is what I'm looking at. Any special lights or soils needed?

Dandelions, Hibiscus, Hollyhock, Rose petals, Nasturtiums, Dahlia, Day Lilies, Geranium, Pansies, Violets, Cat's Ear, Birdsfoot trifoil

Old 08-15-2010, 01:41 PM   #2
Shadera
I grow a few miniature potted roses indoors year round, and have even had blooms when there's snow outside on the ground. I just use a fluorescent fixture from the hardware store with some daylight bulbs positioned close. Works well for me.

But, those are a flower that likes full sun. I'm not familiar with growing any of your list indoors. It should certainly be possible though.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!