Scales N Tails BAD NEWS! - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 12-15-2003, 09:31 PM   #31
robyn@Pro Exotics
thanks for the support Jesse, i appreciate that.

but we have sold colubrids, including regular corns and kings, lots of them, in our front display case most often : )

we don't do any rescues, adoptions, giveaways, abandonments or trades however : )

as for a nose rubbed raw, that would be extremely out of place, i can't imagine an animal like that on display in our store.

a retail store that is indeed now closed (well, 95% closed : ). but not because of Scales and Tails, lol.

sure, i was tired of folks buying some horrible animal somewhere else, and being sent by the other stores to Pro Exotics to "to learn how to care for it". that wasn't cool, and happened all the time ("what are these little black bugs? are the pelvic bones supposed to show like that?")

i also didn't like to hear about some half dead w.c. animal for $25 being compared to our own captive bred stock for $75 ("can't you just match the price?"). nor was it fun to play the "i already spent $125 at the other store, and that animal died, can't you give me a discount, i am already out $125!" game.

a retail store and a breeding operation/internet mail order business are two totally different creatures. sure, the retail store made money, but it wasn't at all about that, and in the end, the pros were simply outweighed by the cons.

i would much rather spend time and energy with my mail order customer, typically a reptile hobbyist, passionate about the animals and their care, than spend time and LOTS of energy with Spur of the moment Joe, who wants to nickel and dime you over the "cheapest" animal possible (lots of house geckos and anoles) and "do i really need a heat pad, my house is already pretty warm..." and "can i just feed hot dogs?"

i usually feel great about the animals we ship all over the country. too often, i felt real dread sending "cheap" animals with incomplete setups out the door of the retail store.

15% of our local customers are really awesome, the passionate, knowledgeable herpers that everyone loves.

84% of walk in retail customers love the idea of the "disposable pet" and that is just not cool.

1% are haters that like to take shots at us and come up with reasons to down us. you're right, we suck. you win : )

Old 12-15-2003, 09:33 PM   #32
robyn@Pro Exotics
oh crapola, i see my full name got swiped out of my listing, sorry about that. i am...

robyn markland@Pro Exotics

Old 12-15-2003, 09:35 PM   #33
dwedeking
Jesse,

Here you go thanks to dictionary.com:

re·sell ( P ) Pronunciation Key (rsl)
tr.v. re·sold, (-sld) re·sell·ing, re·sells
To sell again.
To sell (a product or service) to the public or to an end user, especially as an authorized dealer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
reseller n.

Those grocery stores are resellers. They buy and then resell to the pubic.

In the world of political correctness that can be found in the reptile world some make a difference about breeders, brokers and resellers (personally I don't as I've seen quality and lack thereof at all levels of the game).

Old 12-15-2003, 10:25 PM   #34
colubridman88
THanks Daniel

Thanks DAniel, i couldn't find it in my dictionary, altough it is a bit out of date.I guess the point i was trying to make was, Scales n tails is a legitimate retail establishment, not just resellers. Like i said i guess resellers is an ignorant way to put it.

Robin, i totally agree. I have seen nothing but the highest quality of animals in your store. A bloodied kingsnake i might expect in Scales but not Pro.
Jesse Smith

Old 12-15-2003, 10:29 PM   #35
colubridman88
P.S. Robyn

It was a sad day when you guys shut down your store. You were by FAR the best in Denver, and probably one of the best around. I miss you guys.
Jesse Smith

Old 12-16-2003, 12:18 AM   #36
midnightline
Alright, let's clear things up a minute...

First off, I don't hate either store. I don't hate the owners of either store. I don't wish either of them ill. The purpose of my previous post was not meant to suggest that ProExotics is/was a horrible place, nor am I arguing that Scales N Tails is angelic and above reproach.

The sole point of my post was to point out that even ProExotics is not entirely flawless.

I suppose I should have pointed out that king when I saw it, but I really wasn't sure how well it would have been received by the salesclerk. I -DID- see a king with a bloodied nose. He was sitting in a delicup (likely having cut his nose on the airholes) in that nice stair-stepped display case that was facing the front doors of the store, and he was smearing the blood on the plastic, trying to get out.

It's not an image that's easy to forget. (Of course, neither is the image of the dead cornsnake in the container in Scales N Tails...)

Perhaps I was overly zealous in my previous post (I suppose the clutch-size comment was a little out of line, since corns aren't their specialty). Like I said, I don't want to come off like I'm crusading to take anyone down. Just trying to make a point. No store is perfect.

And I do think the fact that Scales N Tails is offering to pay half the vet bill is doing the right thing.

-Kat Hall

Old 12-16-2003, 10:39 AM   #37
Darin Chappell
Nothing like trying to get along with people to liven up the thread, Huh Jesse? My dictionary is fine, but you and I both know that the definition of the word in Webste's and how it is used in the herp industry are often times two different things.

No one was taking shots at anyone. At least not until you started being condescending to people here.

Have a great day!

Old 12-16-2003, 11:58 PM   #38
Dembinski Reptiles
??

Im just curious if Scales N Tails in Denver was once known as Mile High Reptiles a few years back ?

Old 12-17-2003, 12:12 AM   #39
Mark and Aimee
Quote:
Im just curious if Scales N Tails in Denver was once known as Mile High Reptiles a few years back ?
Not that I'm aware of - but I've only lived in Colorado for a few years... Maybe someone else will remember otherwise.

There have been several "Mile High" herp ventures in the Denver area... Guess it's a common theme ;-)

Old 12-17-2003, 07:40 AM   #40
pituophissayi
Re: ??

Quote:
Originally posted by Dembinski Reptiles
I don't rememver a Mile High Reptiles, but I do know that Scales N Tails has had the same name since the mid 90's (93ish on). There is a Mile High Herp and they post occasionally on Fauna and KS.

Zachary Lujan.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!