Scales N Tails BAD NEWS! - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 12-17-2003, 06:38 PM   #41
diablohogs
Talking lmfao

sorry... Robyn of pro exotics.... i was crying at the "can i just feed it hot dogs" comment.

really that all i've got.

he-larious!

Old 12-18-2003, 05:10 AM   #42
pituophissayi
Recovery

I thought you all would like to know that my female Hogg is almost completely well, and despite her roundworms (fecal analyzed tuesday) she is on her way to a great recovery. So far she has eaten like a champ and is putting on weight at a great speed. I recieved my male and he was in perfect condition, so after i get a clean bill of health from my vet i am going to start getting them ready to breed. wish me luck as this is my first breeding venture (i'm still young), and i hope it goes well.

Old 12-18-2003, 10:04 AM   #43
Mark and Aimee
Glad to hear it turned out well for you. Just curious - after 9 pages of discussion, do you still view Scales N Tails as Bad Guys?

We're heading up there this weekend to do a little shopping... I go into each store with an open mind, since there is such a high turnover rate of employees, and things change so quickly. You never know, but there just might be the deal you were looking for.

Old 12-18-2003, 01:08 PM   #44
pituophissayi
Reply to Mark and Aimee

I view them as how you would view an importer, i do think that they could apply a quarantine much like Reptilian Haven has done, but I don't think they will. I personally will only make a purchase from them again if I actualy have to, but you all can make your decision just fine I am sure. I do not think that they are "Bad Guys" anymore, just uninformed and out to make a profit. Also, thank you Mark and Aimee for the support with my Hogg getting well, it means a lot to me to know that my fight with her wasn't in vain and that I am not being looked down upon completely because I had bought her with an RI. Oh and Happy shopping!

Old 12-18-2003, 02:58 PM   #45
sputnik
BEEN THERE TOO!

Having been to scales n tails myself on a number of occasions, I do find it to be a hit miss type thing when buying.

It is not unusual to see emaciated or half dead animals and DEAD animals in cages on PUBLIC display. This mainly applys to the south store in my opinion.

The other two stores generally are well kept.

I have also noticed with the south store, dirty cages and employees just chit chatting behind the counter....... sitting on their A** They are unhelpfull and basically lazy, and again that's just my opinion from what I have observed

The employees of the other two stores do a pretty good job with what time they have and the number of animals in their care. These two stores are pretty busy all the time, which makes it a little hard for them to get stuff done.

I have sold/traded animals with scales n tails. And I can 100% say that there is NO quarantine procedure whatsoever, so just REMEMBER THAT if you plan on buying from them or trading.

I watched them put my animals that I took up there straight into cages. At NO point were they checked for mites or signs of bad health. These animals were of course healthy and mite free, but I know for a fact a lot of their animals are not!

I know of people who have bought from them and at a good price, the price would want to be good too in order to compensate for the mites that, I guess, came FREE with the animals purchased.

I have seen boa's with RI infections in their store (Not the south store this time) on display and for sale!

It's basically up to you, the individual to take a look at their stores, hygene practices and quality of animals on display and judge for yourself. I am just telling of my own experiences with them from what I have seen.

This store chain could be a HELL of a lot better if the effort were applied from the top ownership down, but it's not and that's sad.

It's why I don't buy from them and I won't, but instead prefer to buy online and get what I am paying for without the health risks associated with this store. In some case you just don't know what you are bringing home with the animal purchased from them!

But, like I said, it's up to you to see for yourself and make up your own mind.

Old 12-19-2003, 08:08 AM   #46
A.Rentfro
Re: Doesn't suprise me

Quote:
Originally posted by colubridman88
I had a buddy that worked there for a little while.(Northglen).
I think the guys at Scales will do anything for a sale. Rich , the manager, is extremely knowledgeable, and a friend of mine. But thier animals are sometimes sub-par. The northglen store is the only one i will go to, the rest are run by idiots, who know nothing about reptiles. I have had a few problems, mainly with thier mite-infested rats. However it is the only store in town that can handle my feeding needs. They just need to stop looking at people as dollar signs and more as partners in this hobby.
Respectfully,
Jesse Smith
This is not about Scales N Tails, I have no experience with them... But I had to compliment J. Smith for what he contributed.

He is absolutely correct.. in this hobby some people let the profit incentive get in front of more important things. There are many breeders and dealers out there taking the extra effort to do things right, keep their stock healthy, educate their buyers and handle problems when they happen. The profiteers who mistreat the animals and sell or trade unhealthy herps cause problems for everybody. It is frustrating that these dishonest people can stay in business (again, I have no knowledge of SNTs)..

Old 12-19-2003, 12:51 PM   #47
herpetological
Couldn't have said it better Gus! Has any settlement been offered at all?

Old 12-19-2003, 10:25 PM   #48
snakegetters
Re: Dosage

Quote:
Originally posted by pituophissayi
Sorry I forgot dosage, she perscribe 1CC of Baytril for 7 days. 3 days injected 4 days oral.
Fire your vet, or make her read ARAV proceedings and other up to date veterinary research literature on reptiles. Enrofloxacin causes sterile abscess on injection and is not recommended for more than a single IM use (if any) by the manufacturer.

Old 12-19-2003, 10:34 PM   #49
snakegetters
Also I forgot to mention that 1cc of Baytril would be 22.7 milligrams of the drug if the standard concentration is being used....this would be a rational oral dosage range for a snake weighing from 2 to 4 kilos.

As for an injectable dosage, if she did not tell you to split the dose between multiple sites or dilute the dose with sterile saline, I would expect fairly serious (though possibly invisible on the surface) abscessing in a snake upon injecting that quantity at the standard available concentration (22.7 mg/ml).

For the snake's sake I sincerely hope she diluted the drug before giving it to you. If not....major ouchie for the snake.

Old 12-24-2003, 02:34 AM   #50
pituophissayi
AB's

She did tell me to alternate sides and not to do it in the same spot, i don't know if she diluted it or not. and believe me after 8 people telling me this, she is now officially fired.

and on another note, Sweetheart as the boa has come to be known, no longer has any signs of an RI, she goes in one week from today for another injection to get rid of the Round worms and then 2 weeks from then she will have another fecal exam done. Wish me luck.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!