Bad Guy Be wary of Boas and Balls (Rodent Factory) rodents. Parasites! - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:17 PM   #21
tommyhil4_6
The reason they seem to attach to the extended piece of hair (away from the body) is as the animal cools (upon death) they move to the edge of the hair, to in essence "jump" from the now "Dead host" onto a potentially new, live host. This is obviously to continue their life cycle.

Obviously upon gassing, the rodents were placed into their bags and stuck into the freezer.

Detriment to reptiles by the lice after frozen: Non physically

Recommend: Feeding them? No way, for if this is an issue, what else could their be? Red Dye in the food? Fatty Rats? It's apparent there is an issue with the quality of the colony.

I've researched rat colonies as I Actually maintain my own 32 bin setup for personal use. There are HOSTS of issues that can arise. As Tom P. stated, they can be harbored on new blood, brought in and spreads like wildfire. I've been fortunate to have a self sufficient colony for the past 5 months with no issues, but I am weary of getting any new blood (which is necessary for a healthy colony) and bringing it into my population.

It can be treated via frontline methods (as Tom stated), another major issue are rat MITES. They can come hand in hand... Rats... QUALITY rodents... are not easy to produce!

They could be having an issue "washing off" as they died with a "clamped" position on their legs/claws.

Either way, thanks for the post. Sometimes a fire needs to be lit under someones rear to get their operation back in order.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:41 PM   #22
simpsonke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
That is a popular misconception. Lice happen in the best of families (in people) and do not require deplorable conditions.
I'm still on how the OP is claiming that the lice were stuck fast to the hair, and I do not think that can happen, and I don't think it did happen.
There seem to be no other complaints about this vendor and this situation, perhaps people have not come forward yet, right now I'm reserving judgment.
This has been addressed in the thread already but I want to mention it again to this post. Lice do exactly latch onto the hair of the host. That is what they do. Their entire structure and life cycle is defendant on their hold in the hair. No surprise to me that they don't wash off.

Thanks for all the comments/support. I'm amazed that this hasn't come out before.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:52 PM   #23
kouneli
Quote:
Originally Posted by simpsonke View Post
This has been addressed in the thread already but I want to mention it again to this post. Lice do exactly latch onto the hair of the host. That is what they do. Their entire structure and life cycle is defendant on their hold in the hair. No surprise to me that they don't wash off.

Thanks for all the comments/support. I'm amazed that this hasn't come out before.
Agreed...They even have mean-looking hooks at the end of their legs in order to latch on. They are ventrodorsally flattened so that they can maneuver through the hairs, as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong, though, but I haven't seen the seller of the rats on here making a comment, yet. Anyone know if they have seen this thread yet?

Old 02-21-2013, 11:33 PM   #24
NIGRO51
Reading the emails back and forth it seems Luke this is no surprise to the seller which is alarming.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:47 PM   #25
treeboa
I have to say the pictures Shadera posted of the rodents look bad, especially the mice. I would not feed them to my snakes. Also, wanting the rodents sent back at the customer's expense is not good business. I once was sent someone else's order (from a different supplier). some of it matched what I ordered so the company sent what I was missing from my order free, including shipping, and told me to just keep the extras that I didn't order. That's good customer service.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:45 AM   #26
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadera View Post
I wasn't going to say anything, but since this is here and there is mention of no others coming forward I will speak.

I ordered and received rats/mice in October/November.

The rodents were as the OP described his. Many soaked in urine/blood, overwhelming bad (putrid) smell when bags were opened, and quite a few dead parasites visible. The adult mice were especially gross. If they looked that bad frozen, I'd hate to see how the racks of live animals are kept.

I figured I would give these guys a try because I needed rats, and was disappointed at the quality of the rodents. However, based on previous interactions with Lynn, I decided it wasn't worth complaining about. No way am I feeding that to my animals, though.

That's just my opinion, based on my experience with their rodents. I do admit that I'm picky when it comes to snake food, and perhaps what bothers me is no big deal to others.

A couple pictures attached. Shows the small bugs that were all over all of the rodents, and the condition of the frozen mice with blood, urine and liquid feces smeared on them.

Those are horrible looking. I would not feed them.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:01 AM   #27
Nanci
It's sad that companies like The Mouse Factory, who will, without being _asked_, replace an order free of charge, AND you get to keep the incorrect order of beautiful mice, (they sent me an old order, not a new order- I needed different sizes than what were sent) go out of business, while companies with disgusting dirty infested rodents manage to hang in there.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:30 AM   #28
RichsBallPythons
Those bugs pictures are not live at all. they are Mites that have spiraled out of control

ANYONE that breeds rodents on wood bedding has the same problem, Using a higher quality bedding helps reduce it yet, but if you inspect frozen rats you will see it. Its a matter of if you catch it in time and treat the rodents bedding by freezing it or not.

The pic it hard to tell if its just a wood mite or tropical rat mite. Wood mites are harmless to us and reptiles and ingest them. Tropical rat mites are harmless once dead but live ones are blood sucker.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:30 AM   #29
RichsBallPythons
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichsBallPythons View Post
Those bugs pictures are not live at all. they are Mites that have spiraled out of control

ANYONE that breeds rodents on wood bedding has the same problem, Using a higher quality bedding helps reduce it yet, but if you inspect frozen rats you will see it. Its a matter of if you catch it in time and treat the rodents bedding by freezing it or not.

The pic it hard to tell if its just a wood mite or tropical rat mite. Wood mites are harmless to us and reptiles and ingest them. Tropical rat mites are harmless once dead but live ones are blood sucker.
meant to say Lice

Old 02-22-2013, 11:36 AM   #30
RichsBallPythons
Also for rats to have blood on them when frozen indicates one thing.

They were never gassed but under went head trama and its means of euthanizing/killing.
Ive never had a rat ever once live, gassed and start Bleeding. Hard wack on back head WILL cause bleeding like this mostly out the eats/nose

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
feeders, parasites