Bad Guy Be wary of Boas and Balls (Rodent Factory) rodents. Parasites! - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:43 AM   #31
Shadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichsBallPythons View Post
Ive never had a rat ever once live, gassed and start Bleeding. Hard wack on back head WILL cause bleeding like this mostly out the eats/nose
This isn't just blood on the fur, Rich. They are actually bleeding from other parts of their bodies. It almost looks like a bleeding tumor on that mouse above that I posted, while a few others have what looks like bleeding holes in various parts of their bodies.

What's the excuse for that? There is only one word to describe the feeders I've seen pictures of so far from those people - disgusting.

Someone paying premium feeder prices, ought to get premium feeders. I'd be ashamed to offer something like these for sale.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:46 AM   #32
RichsBallPythons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadera View Post
This isn't just blood on the fur, Rich. They are actually bleeding from other parts of their bodies. It almost looks like a bleeding tumor on that mouse above that I posted, while a few others have what looks like bleeding holes in various parts of their bodies.

What's the excuse for that? There is only one word to describe the feeders I've seen pictures of so far from those people - disgusting.

Someone paying premium feeder prices, ought to get premium feeders. I'd be ashamed to offer something like these for sale.
Im not defending them at all, just giving insight on the bugs you see. If they are bleeding from other parts, then they are infested with Tropical Rat mites. They are PITA to get rid of and bite like fleas but more intense.

He would have to for month straight, freeze all new bedding, clean the racks and treat the tubs with bedding spray for lice as itll kill the rat mites and wood mites. Or can use PAM that will work best but expensive large scale.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:04 PM   #33
tommyhil4_6
Quote:
Im not defending them at all, just giving insight on the bugs you see. If they are bleeding from other parts, then they are infested with Tropical Rat mites. They are PITA to get rid of and bite like fleas but more intense.

He would have to for month straight, freeze all new bedding, clean the racks and treat the tubs with bedding spray for lice as itll kill the rat mites and wood mites. Or can use PAM that will work best but expensive large scale.
What's the thought on sevindust. I know farmers/livestockers use it and is readily available in bulk at your local home depot.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:12 PM   #34
RichsBallPythons
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyhil4_6 View Post
What's the thought on sevindust. I know farmers/livestockers use it and is readily available in bulk at your local home depot.
You can use a lot of products, but you dont want it on the rats if they are going to be feeders. Best to treat the bedding, mix it around then put rats back.

I always in winter time keep my bedding outside so anything in it is killed. Summer time same thing, Direct heat from sun will dry out the mites exoskeleton and kill them.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:20 PM   #35
Magic
I guess I'm still waiting to see if Lynn has anything to say about this???

Old 02-23-2013, 01:25 PM   #36
tommyhil4_6
Quote:
You can use a lot of products, but you dont want it on the rats if they are going to be feeders. Best to treat the bedding, mix it around then put rats back.

I always in winter time keep my bedding outside so anything in it is killed. Summer time same thing, Direct heat from sun will dry out the mites exoskeleton and kill them.
Indeed. I have been putting all bedding (snake and rodent) in about 10-20* nights for 3 nights or so to alleviate any issues. Sometime, i'll be doing the same in the 95*+ weather.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:48 PM   #37
RichsBallPythons
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyhil4_6 View Post
Indeed. I have been putting all bedding (snake and rodent) in about 10-20* nights for 3 nights or so to alleviate any issues. Sometime, i'll be doing the same in the 95*+ weather.
Heat must exceed 125F for it to be effective on the bedding. So in direct sunlight on driveway few hours should do the trick.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:29 PM   #38
Teatime
The quality of those feeders is just disgusting and repulsive. I would be ashamed of shipping them out like that if I was an employee/running that business. A normal person wouldn't want to feed something infested with bugs to their animals. It's pretty awful that they won't return the shipping costs with your refund. $70 is not an insignificant amount of money. I'd be pissed too.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:37 PM   #39
RonanRat
Wow, those feeders look absolutely awful. In my opinion (from owning several rats as pets), that blood looks like it's from a burst cyst or abscess, which is super gross. Before shipping it's a good idea to just run your (gloved) hand over a rat and check for any huge tumors, cysts, that sort of thing because some will burst and no one wants to deal with that. Urine and blood on feeders is really shoddy, it's not that hard to wash em and quality check before sending them out. I hope you get your full refund.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:37 AM   #40
tommyhil4_6
Quote:
Heat must exceed 125F for it to be effective on the bedding. So in direct sunlight on driveway few hours should do the trick.
Thanks Rich! Appreciate your help as always.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
feeders, parasites