anyone have trouble with superworms? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-30-2005, 12:17 AM   #1
DontShootMe
anyone have trouble with superworms?

Ok at the recent show in White Plains NY I picked up 1000 Supers. I put them in the dishes 10 in everyone's dish. Out of my 9 leopards only 1 eas eatten in the two days. They all eat the mealworms no problem. Now I'm just having problems trying to get them to eat the supers. Now I'm stuck with 1000 supers and noone eatting them. Anyone got suggestions for me?

Old 11-30-2005, 12:24 AM   #2
Jeremy Letkey
Brian, try tweezer feeding or hand feeding. Just like most new food sources some animals may be reluctant. After you get them to try them most will find them in the dishes on their own. Some may not want to switch at all. Be persistant if they give you trouble.

Old 11-30-2005, 09:34 AM   #3
South Dixie Dragons
you know, it is really funny that you mention this...I buy superworms for my leos and other lizards. For some reason, it seems like most of the leos want nothing to do with them. Maybe the first day, a few of them will eat a worm or 2 and then after that ..nothing! I end up digging them out of the boxes and feeding them to my dragons (who never turn their noses up at ANYTHING!)

I have also tried the tweezer bit and they just don't care.

Old 11-30-2005, 09:43 AM   #4
DontShootMe
so u suggesting that i buy bearded dragons to eat the superworms? LOL

Old 11-30-2005, 11:03 AM   #5
Jeremy Letkey
Try ripping a super worm open and dabbing the guts on the leos snout. This may help them to realize it's a food source.

Old 11-30-2005, 11:21 AM   #6
Cat_72
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontShootMe
Well, you wouldn't want those supers to go to waste, now would ya?

Old 11-30-2005, 12:19 PM   #7
South Dixie Dragons
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontShootMe

well, that is one solution! Actually, I am thinking of a thread to start based on the eating habits of leos.. Just need to get it together.

I would love to know what other people's experiences are when it comes to feeding. I keep expecting my leos to eat like my dragons and that JUST DOESN'T HAPPEN!

Old 11-30-2005, 01:45 PM   #8
tanias16
I had this same problem with my male. I tried supers, he wasn't interested. I waited a week (gave up quickly) and then yesterday I was feeding him mealworms, and I ran out. So I grabbed some supers. He ate them up. I got him food interested with the mealworms, he knew it was feeding time, and then he ate the supers just fine. I put them in a dish because they were too fast for him. He's such a lazy bum. I have to hand feed everything to him.

The female will eat anything! She's went from stick skinney to healthy/fat! I'm almost worried about her eating too much now, she's never full. I fed her yesterday, and was taking temps in her cage an hour later, and she was stalking the temp gun.

Old 11-30-2005, 05:00 PM   #9
Supahypegex
A few of my geckos also will not eat super worms a few others will chow down like crazy but the same thing goes for crickets some of my geckos love them some could care less. they all love mealworms. so i guess you can say geckos are a little like people I hate liver but I love steaks

Old 11-30-2005, 08:04 PM   #10
gothra
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanias16
I had this same problem with my male. I tried supers, he wasn't interested. I waited a week (gave up quickly) and then yesterday I was feeding him mealworms, and I ran out. So I grabbed some supers. He ate them up. I got him food interested with the mealworms, he knew it was feeding time, and then he ate the supers just fine. I put them in a dish because they were too fast for him. He's such a lazy bum. I have to hand feed everything to him.
I also use this method to trick my leos to eating something that they usually dislike. For example, I have a really chubby female who loves mealworms, and if I put crickets in her feeding dish, she would just ignore them. But I discovered if I put a few mealies in her dish to get her started first, then throw in the crickets, she'll eat them all!

About supers, most of my leos don't like supers, but I have a girl that's addicted to them. She only likes full grown ones too!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!