Genetics question on supers. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-06-2015, 02:50 PM   #1
allreptiles1966
Genetics question on supers.

Hey everyone
My first year breeding supers and not sure about my het albino x possible super RG/Lipstick Sunglow out come. I know there will be no supers in the litter,but if he proves out as a super,why won't any be possible supers if he proves out super? He can only pass the gene if bred with another hypo?
How does the super "gene" work? If a gene at all.

Thanks
Rich

Old 01-06-2015, 02:56 PM   #2
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
Originally Posted by allreptiles1966 View Post
Hey everyone
My first year breeding supers and not sure about my het albino x possible super RG/Lipstick Sunglow out come. I know there will be no supers in the litter,but if he proves out as a super,why won't any be possible supers if he proves out super? He can only pass the gene if bred with another hypo?
How does the super "gene" work? If a gene at all.

Thanks
Rich
With my unscientific knowledge I shall attempt to explain - 'Super' is the homogeneous form of the dom/co-dom gene meaning the animal is displaying 2 copies of the gene, they have a hypo gene from mom and one from dad. The normal 'hypo' is actually a visual heterogeneous, it has one copy of the gene from one parent. Jungles work the same way.

So - breeding a super hypo to a normal, all babies get a normal gene from the one parent and a hypo gene from the other, so they will all be 'het' (visual) hypos.
I hope that helps.

Old 01-06-2015, 03:14 PM   #3
allreptiles1966
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
With my unscientific knowledge I shall attempt to explain - 'Super' is the homogeneous form of the dom/co-dom gene meaning the animal is displaying 2 copies of the gene, they have a hypo gene from mom and one from dad. The normal 'hypo' is actually a visual heterogeneous, it has one copy of the gene from one parent. Jungles work the same way.

So - breeding a super hypo to a normal, all babies get a normal gene from the one parent and a hypo gene from the other, so they will all be 'het' (visual) hypos.
I hope that helps.
Thank you April.

But being a holder of two hypo genes, isn't it possible the super can pass two to the normal? if not,what or how are they kept separate and not both being passed on? Not sure if I sound like an idiot,but sometimes I am. Lol

Old 01-06-2015, 03:20 PM   #4
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
Originally Posted by allreptiles1966 View Post
Thank you April.

But being a holder of two hypo genes, isn't it possible the super can pass two to the normal? if not,what or how are they kept separate and not both being passed on?
Each animal has 2 genes on an allele, they get one from each parent, that's the only way it works. Have you looked at Medel's genetics and punnett squares for genetic inheritance before? This may be enlightening for ya:
http://anthro.palomar.edu/mendel/mendel_2.htm

Old 01-06-2015, 04:04 PM   #5
allreptiles1966
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
Each animal has 2 genes on an allele, they get one from each parent, that's the only way it works. Have you looked at Medel's genetics and punnett squares for genetic inheritance before? This may be enlightening for ya:
http://anthro.palomar.edu/mendel/mendel_2.htm
i understand it now.

Thank you for your help and the reading info April. I will have to do some reading now.

Rich

Old 01-06-2015, 04:45 PM   #6
AbsoluteApril
No worries, it can seem very daunting at first but once you understand the punnett squares, it explains how the genetics work and how to predict the % outcomes from litters.

I wanted to try to draw them here for you but the formatting is wonky. So using this image as an example...
capital A is the hypo gene, lower case a is the normal gene.
Pair a super (AA, two copies of the hypo gene, written on the side) to a normal (aa, written across the top). Fill in the squares with the letter from top and side that go in that row/column. This shows the possible combinations that would result and the % chance:

so as you can see, each baby got a hypo (A) gene from one parent and a normal (a) gene from the other - so all babies are Aa (hypos).

for this one capital T is the hypo gene, lower case t is the normal gene.
A hypo is Tt, carries one hypo gene (dominant) and one normal gene. So if you pair two hypos:

25% end up TT (two copies of the hypo gene) and are supers, 50% of the babies end up with Tt (hypos) and 25% end up with tt (normals).

The supers are not visually distinguishable from the other hypos, so 75% of the babies are 'poss supers'.

I hope I didn't confuse you more! lol

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!