Help with diagnosis - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:20 PM   #1
Rjhjthomps
Help with diagnosis

Hello, I'm trying to figure out whats wrong with my blue racer if anybody has some insight on this situation I'd appreciate it. Looks like blisters to me.

It makes me sad looking at the snake in this condition I've tried to figure it out by myself but cant find any good pictures to compare to for a diagnosis

Old 05-10-2011, 03:38 PM   #2
mxracer4life
Is this a wild caught racer? It appears to me to be either an external injury or the result of possible scale rot. How is this animal kept? Temperature? Humidity? Substrate? How long have you had the racer? How long have you noticed this sore?

Old 05-10-2011, 04:54 PM   #3
hhmoore
Racers seem to be fairly susceptible to blisters; particularly if they are kept in damp or unclean conditions, or if there isn't enough ventilation. In it's simplest form, when caught early, this is an easy fix...keep the substrate clean and dry, and improve ventilation - and it should improve with sheds. The problem is that these blisters can also be symptom of systemic infection; and a wait & watch approach in that case will often result in a dead racer (once the infection becomes advanced, treatment efforts are too little, too late). If you don't know the difference, your best bet is to seek veterinary care

Old 05-11-2011, 12:10 AM   #4
Rjhjthomps
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxracer4life View Post
Is this a wild caught racer? It appears to me to be either an external injury or the result of possible scale rot. How is this animal kept? Temperature? Humidity? Substrate? How long have you had the racer? How long have you noticed this sore?
I purchased it wild caught, not sure when it was captured.
The animal is kept by itself in a sweater box plastic container, Temperature is in the mid 70's she has a hide box on one side of the cage, with a water bowl in the middle and a basking light on the end. Humidity is 30%-40% substrate was aspen bedding, changed to newspaper once noticed as well as changing the water bowl to a smaller one that she wouldn't be able to soak in. I've had the racer for two weeks. I've noticed the sore for 2 days. I did notice she tipped over the water bowl when i went to clean the cage and the bedding was damp the other day and that is when I noticed the blisters. I will take her to a vet if the condition worsens within the next couple days after altering the enclosure specifications a little.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!