I need some advice about mite treatment - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 06-11-2011, 09:22 AM   #21
George J. Ward
No sweat you did not come off rude Rick not at all bro! And that is the wrong type of pest strip.The one I mentioned looks like a long thin block of cheese.And yes the nix works well. No we would never use the sticky fly tape that rolls out from the little piece of cardboard. Yes I have seen the snakes,geckos,anoles and a few others get caught in those nasty things and it is hard to get them off the sticky crap. It's always good to protect your balls!!!

Old 06-12-2011, 11:10 AM   #22
Pmsayi
If you are going to use No Pest Strips do not put them in the enclosure where the animal can come into direct contact with them. Drill holes in empty 35MM film canisters and put the No Pest Strip in the canister. If you leave the pest strip in the enclosure and the inhabitant comes in direct content with it you risk respiratory and neurological symptoms as well as accidental poisoning of the animal. The later can happen if the snake soaks in the water bowl (when it is replaced and the pest strip removed) and the active ingredient leeches into the water. Other than that Georges method is a tried and true method used effectively by many herpers for years.

Make sure you throw away any cage furnishings such as wood hides, branches, and so on, that can not be cleaned effectively. Remove the substrate and keep the animal on paper towels or newspaper until the mites are gone. Clean the enclosure 1-2 times daily with a 10% bleach solution. If you use PAM you can leave the substrate in but I would still recommend discarding any furnishings.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:18 AM   #23
Focal
Quote:
Originally Posted by George J. Ward View Post
No,you did not misunderstand. We have permiable skin the snakes don't. Yes you put it in with the snake.If the snake has the mites and the tank does not,yes you have to have the snake in contact with the strip.I have worked for a couple of the largest import/exporters here and have been in the field forever. Myself and many otheres use this method,it sure beats using 7-dust,which is another aalternative. The strips seem to be the most effective though. I also have never had a death contributed to the use of this product. Just make sure you have plenty of ventilation. This stuff cannot be contained,too much intake can and will cause respiratory and neurological complications.24hrs.in out 2-3days out repeat 24hrs. Check cage for dead mites and the amount that are in the enclosure. That way you can tell how bad the infestation is or was. Anything else I can help with feel free to call (772-240-3456) Thanx for asking for the advice I like to help other repitle lovers.

Thanks for the reply but you are just full of wrong information. I really wanted to pass, but you are are going to lead someone into killing their snake. In fact, a review of your post history reveals NUMEROUS poor recommendations made by you. Please know what you are talking about when making recommendations that will affect the lives of other peoples pets.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:53 PM   #24
Metachrosis
Equate* Lice Treatment Bedding Spray

Cheaper then Nix,easier no mix aerosol application
Fast knock down (kill) residual effectiveness against eggs and larvae
Used correctly(sparingly),total eradication success is achieved in less then 21 days.
Its actually pretty well done within 15-16 days.

Initial treatment,second treatment at 7-8 days allows for effectiveness of
the residual kill reinforcement and the fresh application over laps the gestation cycle of 11 days for new potential hatching arrivals.
A third application to surrounding area(cage,carpet,wall board)
pretty well runs cleanup for solid peace of mind.

One can will easily do 20/4' cages when used sparingly and allowed to dry
before introducing reptile.
Never leave water bowls in a treated enclosure,never mist an animal
in a chemically treated enclosure.Ingestion is to be avoided
Soaking reptiles during treatment process(while you clean the cage)
will allow for hydration,due to their dermis being far more permeable
then that of a mammal.
(from start to finish and still have half a can left)

HotShot*Pest Strips are extremely aggressive and outdated,
highly suspected to have caused long term neurological issues
and death in several reptile species.

I detest PAM* and their known political history as well as track record for
the effectiveness and less then timely eradication of the target parasite.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:15 PM   #25
Metachrosis

Dichlorvos is an insecticide which is used to control insects primarily in storage areas and barns. It can affect the nervous system where it may cause nausea and vomiting, restlessness, sweating, and muscle tremors at high levels. Dichlorvos been found in at least 3 of the 1,430 National Priorities List sites identified by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/toxfaqs/TF.asp?id=596&tid=111

So run to Walmart and get your fragile reptiles a few HotShot* No Pest Strips!!

Old 06-15-2011, 04:16 PM   #26
Elizabeth Minton
I use Olive Oil. It works on ball pythons and other reptiles. here is a link for directions on how to get rid of mites using this link. It is safe and effective

http://cornsnake.robberg.nl/diverse/mites.html

Old 06-15-2011, 04:39 PM   #27
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metachrosis View Post
HotShot*Pest Strips are extremely aggressive and outdated,
highly suspected to have caused long term neurological issues
and death in several reptile species.

I detest PAM* and their known political history as well as track record for
the effectiveness and less then timely eradication of the target parasite.
my 'track record for effectiveness' with PAM is that is works 100% of the time and very quickly. I do agree with your statement about pest strips though, have also heard stories of it causing neurological issues.

PAM has a slight smell, I never thought it was that bad. per the instructions, you need to use it in a well ventilated area and ensure the cage is completely and properly aired out before putting the reptile back in.

I've had mites twice in my collection back in '99 and '01, PAM killed them all, seemed immediate to me. Plus PAM kills off any eggs, new hatched mites and kills off the life cycle so they don't come back. I had mites last year from a newly acquired snake in QT, luckily I treat all QT enclosures before use so they were gone in a day or two after bring the snake home.

I have also heard good things about Black Knight but never tried it. Sure NIX and lice treatments have the same active ingredient but PAM was tested and made specifically for reptiles so it gets my vote.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:09 PM   #28
SPJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
Going back to PAM for a moment - I don't remember hearing complaints about the smell before. Steve, I know you've used it, what is your opinion. Anybody else? I've used Equate Bedding Spray and, while it has an odor, I wouldn't say that it is anywhere near bad (And I've sprayed it fairly heavily on the outside of racks, carpet, and floor surfaces - that, btw, would be another drawback of Nix...lack of ease in treating surrounding areas)
It has a smell to it but even spraying it into a tub of new substrate in the back room with the windows closed (you've been in that room - not too large a room) it doesn't last long. Once the stuff dries there is no smell.
I use the keepers choice mulch and the only place to get it locally is a pet store so I make sure I spray it down before ever using it with one of my animals as a precaution.
I have used Black Knight as well and that has a much worse smell IMO.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:10 AM   #29
kellysballs
I used PAM at my pet store when I would get an animal with mites. I always followed the directions on the can and I still lost a leucistic rat snake due to this product. I stopped using it. I know others have used it with excellent results but I prefer other products.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:32 AM   #30
RickS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysballs View Post
I used PAM at my pet store when I would get an animal with mites. I always followed the directions on the can and I still lost a leucistic rat snake due to this product. I stopped using it. I know others have used it with excellent results but I prefer other products.
Hi there. You mention that you prefer other products. What do you use?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!