advice for herp show attendees? - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shows & Events

Notices

Shows & Events Since these are such a big part of our business, it is appropriate that we discuss them from a business perspective.

Old 02-27-2003, 07:44 AM   #31
meretseger
Labeling the deli cups is a good thing. Baby snakes in little deli cups look a lot different than adult snakes in books, and the lighting is usually awful. So if I'm interested in something I hate having to sound like an idiot and saying 'what's that? is it a female? is it captive bred? how old is it? how much is it?' when a label saying ' M happy butterfly snake cb '02 $35' would save us all a lot of time. Especially at the all Ohio show, where 'chatting with the vendors' is equated with 'being crushed by a stampeding mob'.

Erin B.

Old 02-27-2003, 10:37 AM   #32
Rob Hill/Geckos Anonymous
Glen,

The reason it bothers me is that you wouldn't go to Burger King to ask them where you can get a Big Mac, would you?

Also, like I said, when I set up for a show, usually the last thing I'm worrying about is what Jimmy JohnJohn ten tables down and around the corner has on his table. I am having to get animals set up, tables put together, displays ready, as well as appropriately labeling and pricing. I will usually take a few minutes if I have it to make a quick pass to see if there's anything I want, but I am not going to make a list and "pre-shop" for customers who are either too lazy to look and ask the other vendors for themselves or that HAVE asked everyone already and can't take the hint that, "hey, I asked everyone here and looked at every table and didn't find it, that must mean it's not here."

Now, I am not going to turn people away or yell at them for that. However, I will honestly tell them, "I don't know." Or if it's something fairly common(Colombian Boas for instance), I will simply say, "I don't have any here, but that is a fairly common snake, and if you look around the show I'm sure you can find somebody with them."

It is nothing major, but it does bother me that people think that just because I'm a vendor, I will automatically know who has what on every table so I can tell them where to find it.

Old 02-27-2003, 12:31 PM   #33
Dianne Johnson
Quote:
Steve S: If you are a vendor at a show, and you want to buy from another vendor, don't expect to be treated any differently from the general public. I know at one show I attend many of the vendors will cut others a break but you should not expect it. ESPECIALLY when you are going to turn around, mark it up and throw it on your table. I've seen vendors offer a lower price "if I take em all" then turn around and sell them for more than the first vendor was asking in the first place. It never hurts to ask, but don't be offended if you are denied.
This is one I saw a lot of last Saturday. My friend brought 7 boas to sell plus the one display only animal. The show opened to the public at 9am, but most of the vendors at this show try to cruise the other tables before the show as well as during it. Some to trade or purchase animals for themselves and some for their tables. We had 2-3 other vendors come up to our table before the show opened and offer wholesale cost for the boas left at the end of the show (they did not elaborate on what they considered wholesale). In and of itself, that was no problem, and she politely declined. However, all seemed surprised that she didn't immediately jump at the opporunity to sell them for less right then and there.

On the other side of the same token, both of us bought animals from other vendors. We didn't expect special treatment because we were also vendors, though we both got good deals. Since we both bought our animals towards the end of the show, I don't know if the better prices were because they knew we were vendors or because they just didn't want to take the animals back with them. Even if we had paid the marked price, that would have been fine, too. We weren't expecting anything different and shouldn't have expected anything different. A lower price was a pleasant surprise, not something due us.

Dianne

Old 02-28-2003, 08:42 AM   #34
Glenn Bartley
Rob,

I think people ask because they are not finding what they want, and they look at you behind the table as someone who may know. They probably just figure that as a dealer at a show, you probably know what others have. I don't think a buyer see it so much like the McDonalds/Burger King thing, but do think that it is maybe a bit more like the buyers thinking a vendor is more akin to someone behind the counter at Macy's department store. They have looked around the store, not found the counter they need to find, so they ask the person behind any counter or the person who looks like he/she may be in the know.

I do, however, understand you point about all the time it takes setting up, and how you cannot be expected to know everything that everyone has for sale.

Best regards,
Glenn

Old 02-28-2003, 10:32 AM   #35
sschind
Dianne,

A lot of vendors look upon people such as yourself as hobbiests who would be willing to sell the whole lot for less than to take the time for individual sales. As you said, there is no problem with making the offer to purchase anything you have left at the end of the show. In fact its better to make the offer right away rather than wait and possibly be scooped by someone else. On the other hand, you just paid whatever for a table, why would they expect you to sell your only stock, all at once, for a lower price, before the show has even started. I'm sure you couldn't go to the promoter and say "look, this guy just bought all my snakes so I really won't be needing the table can I have my money back so I can go home and watch the US open on my big screen"

Rob,

I know what you mean. It irks me when people come into my store and ask if I know of any other place selling corn snakes (Apparently the 30 or so have on display are not enough) I just tell them "not any that I am aware of" Now, on occasion, when I am traveling, I will go into different pet shops, but I always make it a point to tell the people who I am, and what I am doing. And it never hurts to compliment them on something (sometimes its difficult to find something though) Something like "Hi, I'm Steve, I'm just passing through the area and saw you store so I though I'd drop in. I own a small shop in SE wisconsin so I like to check out other stores to see if I can get any ideas to make mine better (insert compliment here and small talk if they are not busy) I have a little more time before I have to be on my way, are there any other shops around that you are aware of, as long as I am in the area I might as well see everything right?"

Using this approach I have only had one person say anything negative "why would I point you to my competition" and my response was, "well, As I said, I am just passing through, I own a shop, and I like checking out other stores. I am not going to be buying anything from anyone, so you are not promoting your competition, all you did was succeed in making sure that I will never come back to or recomend your store to anyone"

A similar tact might work with a vendor " compliment him on his stock. indicate that he does not have what you are looking for and inquire if it is something he may have in the future. If not, ask if he knows where you might find one" But please do this when he is not crowded with customers, and only after you have checked out the other vendors. Many vendors do know what others work with even though they may not have any on their tables at this time. "yeah, Jimmy John John works with with red headed pink tailed climbing water snakes, I don't know if he has any right now but you can ask"

As Glenn said, they may be asking you because you look like you might know, and may be willing to help. In a way you may consider it a compliment. That is if they are not looking for other people selling the same thing as you are.

Steve Schindler

Old 02-28-2003, 12:53 PM   #36
Pennebaker
Lots of good topics here.
One thing that was recently brought up--if you are a vendor and offer to buy a bunch of animals from another vendor at wholesale--you are probably best served to do it after the show is over. I do not see any problem with that. Before the show is a little strange. I also have no problem giving other vendors deals on animals better than the public, especially if they have something I want too
But, another thing--when you do go to a table after a show and offer to buy a group at wholesale prices--be reasonable and dont bottom out way below wholesale pricing. I once had a big vendor come to me after a show and offer to buy 5 of my bearded dragons (nice colored ones) at $5 each. That can get offensive.

Just for comparison--strollers...we have it easy...I used to do high end craft shows for expensive handblown glass. These pieces were placed on temporary pedastols--imagine how it felt when someone strolled around in our booth (these were walk-in booths) with a stroller!!!! After near heart attacks, we finally began to ask people with strollers if they could park them outside the booth area (nicely of course). LOL.

You guys are making me itch for a reptile show!

dana

Old 02-28-2003, 01:35 PM   #37
I hope noone has taken my comments about asking vendors what other vendors have the wrong way. Don't get me wrong, there are certain vendors I know well, and that I consider friends. However, I don't keep an inventory on THEIR stuff, as they don't keep one on mine. And I am not rude to anyone and I will not run people off who ask me that, but it just bugs me to get asked. To me, it IS the same as asking for Burger King where to get a Big Mac. Herp and craft shows are NOT like department stores. Pretty much everyone I've seen at shows KNOW that every vendor is different and sells different stuff. It's just a slight annoyance to me, that's all.

And when it comes to vendors, I find it very rude for other vendors to expect such preferential treatment over other customers. I will cut other vendors deals sometimes, but if one comes over offering 1/3 of wholesale for everything on my table, I'll tell them where they can stick that offer. To me, another vendor is the same as anyone else. I am somewhat flexible on my prices, but I won't bend over and lube up for a potential sale.

Also, it is EXTREMELY rude and, in my opinion, STUPID for vendors to go running around before the show even starts making horribly lowball offers so they can get stuff cheap to put on their tables for the same, if not higher prices than what I had them for. I had a vendor at one of the Carolina shows come over to my table at 8 AM and offer me $100 for all of the leopard geckos on the table(I think there were about 20 out, most in the $30-75 range). That is downright OFFENSIVE. I know wholesale on normal Leopards is $5-10/ea, but these were subadults ranging from nice high-yellows to hypo-tangerines. I also had one vendor at one of the Atlanta shows offer to trade me one fresh import Emerald Tree Boa for my ENTIRE TABLE full of animals. And this was about 20 minutes before the doors opened on SATURDAY! I think if one vendor wants to get rid of their stuff and they are taking offers it's one thing, but walking over and offering someone well below wholesale is just plain offensive.

Old 02-28-2003, 04:36 PM   #38
Stardust
I agree with Glenn. There are times when I go into a store and they do not have what I am looking for and some salesperson points out a store that may have it. That automatically puts me in a good mood, that person and their store has made a great first impression! I would go back to that store if in need of something they have and would tell others of the good experience I just had.
It is nice to know that some have the foresight to see that answering a question, even if it means, possibly sending them to a "competitor" leaves a good impression in the buyers mind.

Old 03-01-2003, 12:36 AM   #39
sschind
I made this comment in an earlier post

"As you said, there is no problem with making the offer to purchase anything you have left at the end of the show. In fact its better to make the offer right away rather than wait and possibly be scooped by someone else. "

I read it again, after a few comments, and I realize my two comments may seem contradictory.

What I meant was. At the beginning of a show, I don't see a problem with, and think it may be a good idea if you are really interested, to approach another vendor and say "If you have anything left after the show I would be interested in purchasing whatever you have left" By letting them know early they may not be tempted to sell everything to someone else an hour before the show ends if it looks like they may not be selling much. Like many have said however, offers should be reasonable.

Rob, Let me ask you this. to put a little different spin on the situation you mentioned. What if you had approached someone with your 20 leopard geckos and said are you interested in puchasing all of these, and he said "sure, I'll give you $100.00" would you still find that offensive.

I can understand your feelings the way you presented it, but the way I presented it I would take that as "make me an offer" and no offense should be taken at any offer you get.

Steve Schindler

Old 03-01-2003, 12:23 PM   #40
Steve,

in that instance, no, it would not be offensive. If I approached a vendor at the end of the show and said, "Hey, I've got these left," I am asking them to make an offer. However, if they approach ME and say, "I'll give you $100 for your 20 geckos," they approached ME and made an insulting offer. If I'm walking around the show with a box of geckos trying to unload them to different vendors, I deserve every lowball and insulting offer, because I approached THEM looking for an offer. However, if a vendor walks up to me at the beginning of a show, before I even get the chance to sell them for my asking price and offers to buy all 20 for what I could get after selling 3 or 4 for, I get offended.

I feel there is a difference between making lowball offers at the beginning of the show, and at the end. At the end is understandable as the person you are making the offer to may still be sitting on 20 leopard geckos they don't want to take home. However, at the beginning of the show, they haven't even had the chance to sell them yet.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!