Custom Large Monitor Enclosures - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Other Lizards Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-20-2015, 11:41 PM   #1
jaxtheretic24
Custom Large Monitor Enclosures

So I am fairly new to this forum even though I joined last year. I am in the process of buying a new house with much more space and my boyfriend and I have been talking about some custom reptile enclosures. Other than large snakes which I have a few of I am curious about seeing some peoples custom enclosures for their large monitors. I am trying to get some ideas because we are considering a nile hatchling ( I enjoy the challenge ) in the near future but we want an adult enclosure built before hand. He wants something with a display factor to it. Curious to see what other people have done for their large lizards.

Old 10-21-2015, 09:38 PM   #2
jaxtheretic24
Other than large snakes which I have a few of I am curious about seeing some peoples custom enclosures for their large monitors. I am trying to get some ideas because we are considering a nile hatchling ( I enjoy the challenge ) in the near future but we want an adult enclosure built before hand. He wants something with a display factor to it. Curious to see what other people have done for their large lizards. [/quote]

We aren't completely sold on niles we've considered tegus as well but curious to see how other people set up their enclosures. I enjoy the natural feel but doing that for large snakes is a challenge so we want a large lizard display.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:18 PM   #3
ShawneeAlice
I'm moving to a farm in the near future, and I'm planning on building a big outdoor enclosure for my tegu once he's an adult. (I live in FL so that's pretty much ideal environment for them). I guess it gets too cold in Michigan to do that lol.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:24 PM   #4
jaxtheretic24
Unfortunately it gets way too cold for that as much as I wish I could do it. So the next best thing will be a huge custom enclosure in my art studio.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:54 PM   #5
ShawneeAlice
Well that's fine too Reptiles are pretty much the only reason I like FL lol. My little boy likes to dig so I'd definitely recommend many many inches of substrate (If you go with a Tegu) he's also a fabulous climber and jumper. (I just moved him into a much larger enclosure because he was ALMOST able to completely jump out of his previous one. I had no idea they were so good at jumping before I got him. So I'd make the walls very tall as well if you don't want an escapee. And with lots of things for him to climb/jump on, hide under, move around, etc.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:59 PM   #6
jaxtheretic24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawneeAlice View Post
Well that's fine too Reptiles are pretty much the only reason I like FL lol. My little boy likes to dig so I'd definitely recommend many many inches of substrate (If you go with a Tegu) he's also a fabulous climber and jumper. (I just moved him into a much larger enclosure because he was ALMOST able to completely jump out of his previous one. I had no idea they were so good at jumping before I got him. So I'd make the walls very tall as well if you don't want an escapee. And with lots of things for him to climb/jump on, hide under, move around, etc.

I was thinking something with a glass or plexi glass front but a bottom deep enough for a foot or two of substrate! I want something with a natural look to it that can be displayed. I've been seriously considering tegus because of their natural disposition. I worked with a large 4 ft male at a pet store. He was just a shop pet but if I was alone I was allowed to handle him. He was amazing.

Old 10-22-2015, 12:05 AM   #7
ShawneeAlice
Well I've only owned one tegu so I'm by no means an expert, but honestly he is one of my absolute favorite reptiles that I own. I can't even articulate what it feels like when he looks at me and you can tell he's really seeing me. The intelligence is just awesome in these animals. He's very bold, but earning his trust has been extremely rewarding. When I first got him, he would run away at the mere sight of me. Now, I can put my hand in the enclosure and touch him, and he stays put. We are working up to handling, but I am so pleased with how far he has come. I pull up a comfy chair in front of his enclosure, and just sit there, going on my phone or reading a book, and it's really helped him get used to me. He watches me. And he takes food so politely now (Except when he's super hungry, then he becomes a crazy beast LOL) Also if it helps, Samael is a platinum blue tegu, which tend to be on the smaller side for a tegu, and some people believe have a better disposition, so what kind of tegu you get is also something you might want to think about

Don't want to talk about him without showing him lol:

Old 10-22-2015, 12:09 AM   #8
jaxtheretic24
I am quite partial to the argentine since that's what Boulder ( shop lizard ) was. I had a savannah a few years ago and he was awesome but sadly he was in rough shape when I got him and the vets did everything they could for him. He was such a personable creature. So far the best reptile I have ever owned was an african sulcata I rescued. He was 60 lbs when I rehomed because my apartment wouldn't let me take him with.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!