National Reptile Breeders' Expo - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shows & Events

Notices

Shows & Events Since these are such a big part of our business, it is appropriate that we discuss them from a business perspective.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:35 PM   #1
WebSlave
National Reptile Breeders' Expo

I heard a rumor that 2014 will be the last year for the show in Daytona Beach, FL. Anyone else heard anything about this?

Old 07-26-2014, 11:14 PM   #2
gila7150
I haven't heard anything about this and I hope it's not true. There's no indication that this is the last expo on their website or Facebook page. Hopefully it's just a rumor that started because this is the 25th year of the show.

Did you hear that this may be the last expo or just that it won't be held in Daytona after this year? I wouldn't mind seeing it move back to Orlando.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:54 PM   #3
kerrek
Heard the same rumor that it may move back to Orlando.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:52 PM   #4
Suncoast Herpetological
Did anyone attend this year? I can't remember an Expo that did not have a slew of reviews afterwards

Old 10-01-2014, 11:14 PM   #5
gila7150
I went to the show. I was a little disappointed but I haven't been to the show since 2005 so I had high expectations. If you were looking for ball python morphs there were plenty to choose from. I'm a colubrid fan (Asian rats, Pituophis, Drymarchon, etc.) so I didn't see a lot that I was interested in.
There was one vendor (I can't remember the name) that had a whole corner of the expo that was selling nothing but fresh imports. I'm not really opposed to imports but this stuff was kinda nasty and I didn't expect to see it at a Breeders Expo.
I went with $1500 in my pocket and came home with about $1450. (all I could find was some supplies I needed). I did miss out on a nice pair of subadult blonde leopard tortoises that I saw on my first pass around. They were already sold when I came back...snooze you lose
I don't mean to bash the NRBE. I'm a fan of Wayne's show and I hope he continues to do it for years. I enjoyed the show but I'm hoping to see a little more diversity next year.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:23 AM   #6
WebSlave
Connie and I were there on Sunday. Surprised to see quite a few people that I expected to be there, weren't. Also lots of new names and new faces, too. But we talked with some people we haven't seen for two years (we didn't go last year). One of Connie's cousins recently moved to Palm Coast from New Jersey so he came along with us.

We walked around the show once and that was enough. Bought a couple of soft pretzels and drinks and that too was enough.

Vendors seemed to be generally pleased with the show, but I guess a good portion of the reason behind that is because so many bigger names just were not there. Pretty much dominated by ball pythons, of course. Oh there was one table with eastern indigos on display that I probably spent more time at than anywhere else. Always had a soft spot in my heart for that animal.

We may or may not be back next year. Honestly I thought about getting a table to sell my herp book collection one year, but not sure I'm all that keen on doing any show any longer. But as a walk in, it's not that long of a trip, and we can usually plan something else to do while we are in that neck of the woods. Even if it is just swinging by O'Steens in St. Augustine for an excellent meal of fried shrimp.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!