Picking a first monitor - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-18-2010, 04:17 PM   #1
The NY Gecko
Picking a first monitor

I've finally settled on my next acquisition to be some sort of Varanid. It was a toss up between another snake, a leopard gecko project, beardies, or a monitor. I opted for the challenge of having a larger lizard. It's something I've never done before and it presents a new challenge.

I'm fortunate in living very close to LLL Reptile, and the staff there has been nothing but helpful and courteous to my never ending inquiries. Every time I go in there, I see a new kind of monitor or lizard I've never even heard of before, making my decision to get which one increasingly difficult.

So far I've narrowed down my current selection to a Yellow Monitor, Argus, Brown Roughneck, or a Black Throat.

My first priority is something I can handle, or at least tame, rather easily. I also prefer to have one that is more on the slender side, which is why I'm leaning away from the black throat. I've heard good things about them and savannah monitors, but I prefer to have something on the smaller side.

I'd like to have one that doesn't really excede 5 feet in length. I live in an apartment in California, space is limited. I can't dedicate an entire room to one animal. My top two choices so far are the Yellow Monitor and the Brown Roughneck, followed by the Argus. I've held each, either as a hatchling or as an adult, and all of them seemed rather calm and forgiving of my nervousness.

Are there any species I should also take a look at it? Size and temperament are my first two concerns, I'm confident in my ability to properly take care of whatever it is I choose, as it won't be anything close to a Emerald Tree Monitor or a Blue Tail.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:48 PM   #2
MauricesExoticPets
Ridgetail monitors are small, very forgiving, and could leave you room to house a larger monitor down the road when you feel ready to go with something that needs lots of space.

Even ridgetails can take a bit more room than you might expect, and if you live upstairs you'll need to consider the weight of proper housing, a 90g cage with a foot of dirt is mega heavy.

Maurice Pudlo

Old 12-18-2010, 10:09 PM   #3
The NY Gecko
Ah, Ackies? I've heard theyre a bit high strung, or at the very least, when you hold them constantly want to get away.

Old 12-19-2010, 03:54 PM   #4
TailsWithScales
Read this:
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=214993

I created that thread specifically for people like you. (not said offensively)

Ackies make a PERFECT first time monitor. If you want something to cuddle with and sit on the couch with you get a mammal.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!