Goodbye Roger Conant - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 12-26-2003, 02:42 AM   #1
Ken Foose
Goodbye Roger Conant

One of the greatest herpetologists that ever lived, a fine man, and a friend of mine, Roger Conant died last week. This man helped influence more of us then anyone will ever know, through his writings, his research, and his friendship. I, and many, many others will miss the man. Goodbye old friend. I would also like to thank all the other people that have influenced my life in this field, and thanks to all that I have worked with this past year. Have a great 2004 everyone.

Old 12-26-2003, 10:27 AM   #2
Tom Chambers
R.I.P. Roger......as a child, you gave me the desire to learn more and more about herps through reading your books.....and it opened my eyes to a fascinating and never ending world of wonder.

Even if you don't know his name....if you are into herps......you have learned something from him without even knowing!

Old 12-26-2003, 11:29 AM   #3
herpetological
It would be difficult to list Roger's contributions to the Herpetological community as a whole. Many of his works still live on in those of us he influenced. It was his enthusiasm and dedication that will always have us putting down his publications, only to have the desire to pursue your own questions! R.I.P.!! You'll be missed!

Old 12-27-2003, 07:56 AM   #4
John Apple
R.I.P. RC and thanx

Old 12-27-2003, 01:40 PM   #5
KelliH
I do not know much about Roger Conant, and have just heard his name mentioned a few times here and there. Hearing news of his death brought a tear to my husbands eye, and he told me that Mr. Conant was a huge influence in his life, that he was one of the "giants of herpetology". After seeing my husbands reaction to Mr. Conants death, I have decided to find out more about the man and his work in herpetology, he must have done some really great work and I want to learn from it.

Old 12-27-2003, 04:14 PM   #6
mercedesherp
When I was 15 years of age I had a collection of around 40 different snakes. I was considered a bit odd by all except my closest friends and some of my school teachers. I was blessed to have had parents with such open minds and someone like Roger Conant who would take the time from his position as Curator of Reptiles at the Philidelphia Zoo to answer every letter I ever wrote to him concerning my captives. Rogers' advice and encouragement remain an inspiration to me even as I continue in the hobby 30+ years later.

Old 12-28-2003, 03:27 AM   #7
Ken Foose
Roger Conant Biography is out there Kelli

For those of you that would like to know more about Roger Conant, you can get his biography. It is an really great book, detailing much of his herpetological life, and a lot of personal stuff too. I know that www.zoobooksales.com carries copies of this book. Sometimes it is a geat idea to look to the past to find our futures. Anyone who has ever picked up and looked at a copy of the Amphibians and Reptiles of Eastern North America has been influence by Mr. Conant.

And Kelli, a person of your husbands class and calibar would of course be moved by our loss, just as I have been. I bet he can tell you a few tales about Roger. THe last time I actually talked to Roger was on a trip to Costa Rica. He was old, frail, and moved like you would expect an old guy to move. But then when you looked into his face, you saw the eyes of a child, still filled with wonder at the world we live in, and just happy to be in a jungle again. I do miss him.

Old 12-28-2003, 03:37 AM   #8
KelliH
Thank you Ken..

The book will make a great gift for my husband, I know he would like it, and I want to read it myself.

It is kind of sad that a post such as this gets so few replies, yet we post pics of our albino piebald spider balls or super duper hypo tang leopard geckos or whatever and these get so much attention. I think nowadays some of us (myself included I must admit) lose sight of why we got into herps in the first place. Maybe we need to keep reminding ourselves that these animals are so much more than a pretty thing in a deli cup, and that there is so much we still can learn about their natural history.

Peace everyone.

Old 12-28-2003, 05:05 AM   #9
Ken Foose
Kelli, I agree with you 100%. And you know, despite the fact that we are addressing this on the BIO, which was developed to root out evil doers in our hobby, I can't help but smile when I think of all the many, many great friends I have made because of herpetology, people like Roger, and Steve, who I met at the Pit Viper Symposium in Arlington many years ago, and who I doubt will remember the hours we spent talking zoo talk along with John Campbell, Jim Murphy and others. Herp people are the greatest people in the world. I'm not talking about the flash in the pan wheeler dealers that are only interested in making a buck, but the true herpers, the ones that breed for the fun of it, sure, perhaps making a few bucks off thier hobby along the way, or people like myself who actually do this and nothing else for a living now, just because I can't think of doing anything more fun! People that work at zoos in reptile houses, like I used to do, are sure as hell not doing it for the money. They do it for the joy of working with all those neat animals all day. I could surely make more money doing something else, but I work with herps, because that's what I want to do. Mr. Conant was like that. A true giant in our field, and just a joy to talk to. There are hundreds like him, old and young. Nothing beats working with reptiles all day, checking on several hundred snakes when you get home, and then heading out road hunting, just for the fun of it. That's a real herper to me, living the life, living the dream. And I feel blessed to be able to do that, and to have the chance of corrosponding with people like you. Thanks

Old 12-28-2003, 05:35 AM   #10
Intense Herpetoculture
Roger really was a great guy, and the first book I ever owned at the age of 5 was the "Field Guide to Reptiles & Amphibians of Eastern & Central North America". Before I was six I was able to name off every reptile in that book, both common and scientific names. I still have that same book today, although it certainly has it's fair share of missing pages, mud specks on pages, and some decent water damage. His book encouraged me to learn more and more about all the herps that ended up in my hands, an interest that has yet to wain. I'm not sure if I never got that book for my fith birthday present if I would be into herps as much as I am now. It really is amazing to look back and see how much that book encouraged me when I was so young. I remember when I first got my first common snapping turtle eggs at the age of eight looking in there hoping some more info on incuabtion duration (if I remember correctly it didn;t ahve any info on duration). Although I think I had to find a couple more books until I was able to hatch out any eggs successfully at the age of 9. Still, I was only 8 years old when I successfully bred my pair of snappers I maintained out in backyard pond, and after that I was surely hooked for life, and I know none of it would have never happened without Roger's book. I never was able to meet Roger in person, but what I have read and heard about him, he was a great person indeed.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!