Had to separate tonight - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-10-2006, 11:09 PM   #1
SirKevin
Had to separate tonight

Tonight was the second night in a row I saw one of my juvies bite the other very aggressively on the leg for no apparent reason at all...so that was it. In hindsight I obviously should have separated the first time; but what's done is done & the one who was bit appears fine...

A bit of background...

I got these two at a PJ's; they were only about three weeks old when I bought them together, supposedly clutchmates. I normally don't buy from chain stores but these guys were just in, in perfect health & adorable so I had to. They've been together in a 10 gallon without any issues until last night.

I guess my question/issue is...at the time I decided to separate, the only set-up I had that could be used immediately was a ten gallon that my male breeder was in. I got this male from Jason @ Capital City Geckos & he recently borrowed him back 'til early summer hybino breeding, so the tank he was in is obviously now empty. Since he's been gone I haven't actually cleaned/washed the tank thoroughly; but the make that was previously in it arrived to me & left me in excellent health so I can't imagine a chance of disease.

Tonight all I did -- since the way things worked timing wise I absolutely couldn't take the tank out & rinse it down with soap etc -- was wash the bottom a bit with hot water & a towel & then put the aggressive in.

So my questions are...for future reference, is this method of cleaning considering the cirumstances acceptable? I assume most people will recommend a thorough cleaning of the tank ASAP & I definitely plan on doing that.

Also...for my own peace of mind, have I in any way risked the relocated gecko's health by this??

Anyways..thanks for any replies in advance guy, and here is to hoping for happy lives for both of the geckos now that they're separate!

Old 05-10-2006, 11:56 PM   #2
houdini1
I would do a full scrubbing on the tank, but thats just me. How long has the male been gone? Usually parasites and disease wont live with out a host of some sort. If the substrate was tile or papertowel I dont see it being a problem. If it was reptile capret that may pose a risk cause of bacteria growth. Only if the carpet has had any moisture though. Basically it just depends on how long the male has been gone. Next time I would scrub everything down just for health reasons. Just do be safe I would get a fecal test done on your leos just to make sure but it could take a while for anything to show up.
Kristy

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!