Does This gecko have MBD ? (Video) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-24-2007, 08:56 PM   #1
surena
Question Does This gecko have MBD ? (Video)

I bought this gecko from someone a few days ago, and she shipped him in a well packed shipping box. When I got the gecko at first I thought sometime might have happened to him during shipment, but the box was well packed, so I took him to the local pet store to ask the experts ( they are very knowledgeable about geckos and other animals) and they told me that the reason she is like that is because she has not been given enough calcium while growing, and now has Metabolic bone disease. The guy there touched the geckos jaw and said that it was very soft and almost rubbery. He said that it didn't happen overnight. I contact the seller, and she refuses to accept that and says that the gecko was fine when she shipped her off and something must have happened in the mail. I was just wondering about anybody else's point and suggestions.
What do you think after looking at the video. Is MBD?
Is there any hope for her ? she is about 20 grams. And if there is any hope what else can I do to help her heal ? I've been mixing a little water with rep-cal and rep-cal Herptive multivitamins and giving it to her buy gently opening her mouth with hand and putting the paste in her mouth. Do you think that's a good idea ? any information is appreciated. I’m very upset that if it was MBD the seller shipped the gecko in that condition.

Old 02-24-2007, 09:54 PM   #2
Golden Gate Geckos
I'm sorry this happened, but I don't even have to look at the video to tell you the gecko has MBD. The only thing that will stop it from progressing is calcium... lots of calcium. I would demand a refund. If the person who sent you this gecko gives you any flack, there is always the BOI her on Fauna where you can post a "Bad Guy" thread.

Old 02-24-2007, 10:46 PM   #3
garweft
Like Marcia said it definetly has MBD. At first I didn't think it was too bad. That is, at least she is still walking on her feet and not her elbows. However, after seeing the video I need to say that that leo is in real bad shape. It looks like she doesn't use her back legs at all.

If it were me I would put her down, but that is your decision to make. I just don't think she will ever be able to live a normal life.

Whatever you do, you should post this in the BOI. The seller obviously isn't going to accept responsibility, or they would have already. And anyone who has any good experience with leos, or any reptile for that matter, knows that MBD doesn't happen overnight.

Old 02-24-2007, 11:08 PM   #4
BalloonzForU
I'm speechless that someone would allow that poor gecko to get in that condition and then sell it like that. She is way off saying that shipping caused that. That is a very very bad case of MBD, and could have been provented with proper supplementation.

Old 02-25-2007, 01:35 PM   #5
surena
Saving her !

So is her MBD so bad that I can't do anything to save her ? I just don't want her to suffer anymore, and if there is nothing I can do help her get better, I may have to put her down

Old 02-25-2007, 04:13 PM   #6
Only Exotics
Hey Surena, if I were you I would post on the BOI there still might be a chance of getting your money back. No excuse for sending someone an animal in that kind of shape. The shipping excuse is B.S.

P.S. How are the baby jacksoni doing for you?

Old 02-25-2007, 04:26 PM   #7
Lizardeaux
That is so sad. I'm so sorry someone would send you a Leo in that shape. There is no excuse! By the way, who did you get it from so the rest of us don't make the same mistake.
Please keep us posted on her status.

Old 02-25-2007, 06:24 PM   #8
garweft
Quote:
Originally Posted by surena
So is her MBD so bad that I can't do anything to save her ? I just don't want her to suffer anymore, and if there is nothing I can do help her get better, I may have to put her down
I don't think she will ever regain proper use of her back legs. However, I'm also not a psychic and don't know what the future holds. It is up to you on what you want to do. She should be able to live a long life still, but she will take a lot more work than a healthy leo would.

Old 02-25-2007, 07:25 PM   #9
surena
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardeaux
That is so sad. I'm so sorry someone would send you a Leo in that shape. There is no excuse! By the way, who did you get it from so the rest of us don't make the same mistake.
Please keep us posted on her status.
Since I didn't not buy the gecko from anyone on this board I have posted the negative feedback on the appropriate board where the transaction took place. Please see for yourself.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/show...505#post838505

I want to thank everyone for their input. I hope the seller has/will realizes what a mistake she has made and will come out with the truth, as truth shall set you free. It takes a lot courage to say that “I have made a mistake” and taking responsibly instead of blaming it on the post office.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!