Question ????????????? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-22-2005, 04:48 PM   #1
Ginger Ambrose
Question Question ?????????????

FEEDING QUESTION

My new red tail, is eating two "fuzzies" (the pet shop sells these tiny tiny mice they call fuzzies) every three days and still acts like she is hungry. She is a yearling and I would guesstimate (not a real word)
at her largest point is about as big aroung as sliver dollar, maybe a bit larger that that.
Okay I have ordered some hoppers from rodentpro, so I think I have solved the size issue the question is: How much is enough ? If she is still hungry should I give her another ? Can she actually over eat?
Oh BTW she is eating f/t.
Thanks for any help
Ginger Ambrose

"You're never to old to learn"

Old 04-22-2005, 05:03 PM   #2
robin d.
the general rule of prey size... is a meal about the size of the thickest part of her yet no bigger, every seven days... i bet she is hungry... she should be eating at minimum adult mice

Old 04-22-2005, 09:01 PM   #3
Ginger Ambrose
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin s.
the general rule of prey size... is a meal about the size of the thickest part of her yet no bigger, every seven days... i bet she is hungry... she should be eating at minimum adult mice

Robin,
Thanks for the help. I do not want to over feed her but I REALLY do not want her going hungry. Once I use up these hoppers (on order now) I get I will start her on adult mice, I know these "fuzzies" I picked at the pet shop look more like pinkies to me. She just kind of gobbles them down. She eats two in less than 15 minutes. Reminds me of someone eating popcorn.
LOL

Ginger

"You're never to old to learn"

Old 04-22-2005, 09:17 PM   #4
robin d.
yeah a good feeding schedule is every 7-10 days... she could eat adult mice or hopper rats or weanling rats...(not pups but not smalls, inbetween size) once you get the hoppers you may want to feed her two of them every five days to keep up with her appitite... make sure her temps are good so she can bask and thermoregulate and not get consipated... having to soak a constpated snake isnt fun ... cleaning the tub sucks LOL

Old 04-22-2005, 09:18 PM   #5
Mike Greathouse
Boas grow at a tremendous rate the first two years. Fuzzies for a yearling is not enough. Let her eat and grow. Move her up to adult mice once a week. As she continues to grow, simply increase the size of the prey items. At about three years of age, I move them to feedings once every 10 to 14 days.

Take them slow, but keep them well fed in the early years.

Old 04-25-2005, 08:53 AM   #6
Ginger Ambrose
Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks to all who have responded, and to those that helped in chat as well.
I'm sure my little girl will be much happier and "full" thanks to you all.
She has the appetite of a much bigger snake. But she is a growing girl.
Once again thanks Fauna community !
Ya'll are super.

Ginger Ambrose

"You're never too old to learn"

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!