Humidity - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-22-2007, 10:40 PM   #11
Metachrosis
Couple questions if ya dont mind .....?
What is the cage made of ?
If plywood has it been sealed ?
How deep is your substrate ?
What are you useing to measure temp/humidity levels with ?
Stationary guage? where is it located?
Temp gun? where are you takeing your readings ?
What temp/humidity levels are your trying to maintain ?
You attempting precise temps for both hot and cold sides of the cage ?
When you mist the cage how much water are you actually applying ?

Old 01-22-2007, 11:26 PM   #12
nikita04
The cage is made of wood, and it is sealed. The aspen is about one to one and a half inches thick. I am using an Accurite gauge to measure humidity, and it is located inside the cage, on the back wall. I am tring to maintain a humidity level of at least 50%-60%. When I spray the cage I use a spray bottle that holds two to two and half cups of water and I use half a bottle on each cage.

Lawrence

Old 01-23-2007, 12:24 AM   #13
Metachrosis
How big is the cage ?
You say wood ? I'll assume plywood correct"How thick 3/8,1/2 or 5/8 ?
What type of surface sealer did you use ?Paint is not a sealer(not even laytex type)
Not a reference to the joints,but instead to the exposed interior surfaces ?
How close to the substrate is the guage ?
Is the guage set at the end of the cage the snake spends most of its time or on the other end ?
Where ever the animal is the"most" is the "best" area to monitior.
45-50% is fine(with a good in cage water source) for BCI their not tropical animals.(60% + for shed cycles only)
Anything over 80* is fine for BCI,85 is like a perfect world to them.
Just imagine your world without a need for Heat or A/C?

Exactly !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikita04
The cage is made of wood, and it is sealed. The aspen is about one to one and a half inches thick. I am using an Accurite gauge to measure humidity, and it is located inside the cage, on the back wall. I am tring to maintain a humidity level of at least 50%-60%. When I spray the cage I use a spray bottle that holds two to two and half cups of water and I use half a bottle on each cage.

Lawrence

Old 01-23-2007, 08:12 AM   #14
nikita04
The cages are 6' long x 2' deep x one and a half feet tall. The plywood is 5/8 thick and was stained and clear coated several times.
The gauge is about 4" from the substrate and is located on the side the snake spends most of it's time.

Lawence

Old 01-23-2007, 09:12 PM   #15
Metachrosis
That thick plywood is why your not getting enough heat from the bottom with flexwatt.I can think of several ways to get to the same point and all of them involve getting the flexwatt inside the cage and on the floor of one end.
Useing either plexi or tempered glass as a top laminate to prevent direct contact with flex by the animal.
Until you can generate some in cage temp(heat) you wont have any humidity levels to measure.

As for the humidity,I would try "pouring"2 cups of water down the cage wall,which ever front or back,from one end to the other as evenly as possible. See what humidity levels you get over 24-48-72-96-120 hr periods and try and catch when the levels start to drop off. Cut back or add water till you get close to the desired humidity level(s)that carries the longest thru the week.Make sense ? Youll have to learn what your cage needs in order to hit the levels your after.
Adjust as needed for changeing seasons throughout the year.Relocation of the cage may be of some benifit ?

Just some ideas ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikita04
The cages are 6' long x 2' deep x one and a half feet tall. The plywood is 5/8 thick and was stained and clear coated several times.
The gauge is about 4" from the substrate and is located on the side the snake spends most of it's time.

Lawence

Old 01-24-2007, 01:06 AM   #16
nikita04
Actually the flexwatt is on the inside, with a piece of plexiglass on top of it, and I still can't get the heat I want.
I do appreciate all of your input. Thank you.

Lawrence

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!