I didn't know my son was into snakes - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 11-18-2017, 11:07 PM   #1
Scootter
I didn't know my son was into snakes

We went to the LPS today in search of rats, they didn't have what I was looking for. What they do have is an 8 foot male albino burm being kept in a glass tank with no belly heat or humidity control. There's just one bulb above the tank for heat. It's been 3weeks since his last shed and they haven't cleaned it out yet. It's mostly balled up by the small water dish. I don't have anything against glass tanks if they are done correctly. This is far from correct.

I'm not set up for an 8' plus snake yet. I'm getting ready to build some bigger cages but don't have the money just yet. Acquiring adult snakes has not been part of my plan. So tonight my boy started a go fund me trying to raise money so he can get the burm out of the pet shop and I can build him a proper cage. Up until tonight he hasn't shown any interest in snakes at all but seeing this burm and knowing it needs help has him trying to do something about the situation.

Side note, I've come to hate pet shops. Chain stores and LPS. Once my breeder groups are up and running I doubt I'll set foot in one again.

Old 11-19-2017, 06:33 AM   #2
Lucille
Scott, what an awesome son you have!!!
May I make a suggestion: See if you have enough funds to pay for professional advice/medication if the burm arrives at your house and has a RI or some other health issue. Then see if there is a reptile club near you, and see whether a member of the club might be able to let you borrow a cage and accessories until you get yours made. Or check out the classifieds here and see if maybe someone is selling an affordable used cage in your area.
Good luck!

Old 11-19-2017, 03:20 PM   #3
Scootter
Both excellent suggestions. I do need to see if one of the vets in the area is more comfortable with herbs than the other. I spent some time handling the snake yesterday. The inside of his mouth looks good and I can't hear any wheezing. I'm hopeful that he doesn't have any issues yet.

There aren't any herp clubs out here but I am trying to find enough people to start one. Total hardware cost for the 2x6 cage I'm going to build is under $100 and I can have it built in a few hours. I can cover that when the time comes. I have the stuff to heat it so that's not an issue. He just needs to get the $400 together to purchase the snake.

I do have good kids with big hearts. I didn't think Chad would warm up to the snakes. He can't watch me feed them. He's more into the rats lol.

Old 11-19-2017, 03:34 PM   #4
Helenthereef
Would the petstore do a purchase or layaway plan?

Old 11-19-2017, 05:57 PM   #5
Scootter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
Would the petstore do a purchase or layaway plan?
I haven't asked the owner. I'm not someone who can put up with stupid people. The owner is not someone I could have a conversation with. He makes excuses for the poor conditions all his reptiles are in. I'd be banned from the store. The girls who work for him do what they can but they can only do so much. I offered $200 cash yesterday and I thought the lil gal was going to pop she got so excited. She was truly disappointed when he turned down my offer. So we'll see if we can raise the funds and bring him home.

For now it's where I get my breeders. When I finally get my breeding colonies producing I'm going to forget this place exists.

Old 11-19-2017, 06:57 PM   #6
bcr229
I hate to say it but you need to pass on that snake. Store owners who keep reptiles in awful conditions will not change their husbandry practices as long as people purchase the reptile to "save" it. All that you are doing is giving the store owner money to go buy another animal and put it into the same bad conditions.

Also $400 on an 8' male albino is high, you can find reputable sellers offering them for less.

Old 11-19-2017, 07:46 PM   #7
Scootter
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
I hate to say it but you need to pass on that snake. Store owners who keep reptiles in awful conditions will not change their husbandry practices as long as people purchase the reptile to "save" it. All that you are doing is giving the store owner money to go buy another animal and put it into the same bad conditions.

Also $400 on an 8' male albino is high, you can find reputable sellers offering them for less.
Good point. I'm not someone who makes decisions emotionally. I was making that mistake this time. I was just talking to a friend who let me know that the snake hasn't eaten since August. One more reason to pass.

I've made connections with a few breeders and the hard part is going to be staying within my budget in 2018.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!