Unexpected eggs... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-25-2014, 11:56 PM   #1
Dianne Johnson
Unexpected eggs...

Tonight I discovered a surprise clutch of eggs when cleaning cages. There were maybe a dozen, five of which were dark yellow duds (plucked out and pitched). The rest are white but some were pretty dimpled - probably laid within the last couple of days (under the water bowl). I've put them in a ventilated plastic box with damp sphagnum moss in a warm cage to incubate...maybe.

I was completely unprepared for these eggs since the first, and last, clutch she laid was last year. The adults have been separated since then. Any idea if the eggs will even be viable after becoming somewhat dehydrated?

Thanks in advance for any input or insight you provide!

Dianne

Old 03-29-2014, 11:58 PM   #2
Charis
How are the eggs looking now? I'd say they have a fair chance if they plumped back up after being put into the incubator with good humidity.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:08 PM   #3
Dianne Johnson
Most of the remaining eggs have plumped up. The one in the topmost position is still dessicated, but is stuck fast to the ones below it. I've decided to leave it in place rather than chance damaging the others. We'll see how it goes.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:51 PM   #4
Dianne Johnson
Update...last of the eggs defunct...

Just thought I'd share that the eggs didn't make it. I lost the first four midway through April, the last three bit the dust last week. The first ones began to dimple and become dark, then began to develope a fuzzy, black mold. The last three began to darken, then mold as well. I didn't really expect them to make it...but it would have been cool.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:05 AM   #5
Charis
Ah, I'm sorry to hear that! Would have been cool if they made it, yes.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!