Heat lamp wattage - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:54 PM   #1
zabrow187
Heat lamp wattage

So, I'm new here and have a small setup for my juvenile Iguana. I have a heat lamp but I think the bulb is too strong for my setup (125 watt)... What size do/would you use?

Old 06-02-2009, 11:04 PM   #2
Uroboros
JEEBUS!

Let bake for one hour and then flip until golden brown and delicious!

Heh. My 40 gallon uses a 50w basking bulb to make a 90 degree spot.

Use a digital thermometer directly under the spot and adjust the wattage/distance to acheive your optimums.

GL

Edit: Are the sunglasses what you use when you want to hang out with your pet? hehhe :P

Old 06-03-2009, 11:49 AM   #3
zabrow187
Ok, I went out today and bought a new basking bulb for my iguana (75w) but it only seems to be making about an 82 degree basking spot for him. Is that ok or should it be hotter?

Old 06-03-2009, 12:19 PM   #4
Uroboros
What are you using to test the temp? Where are you testing the temp? What kind of lamp is it? 82 seems low to me.

From what I've read on google just now (as I don't have any experience with iguanas) the basking spot should be in the 90-95 degree (f) range.

A 75w spot would put a 110 degree spot in one of my tanks (about 16" from the light to the spot). But my room temp is 75.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:40 PM   #5
zabrow187
I have a strip thermometer directly under the basking spot in the tank, and it is the same clamp lamp as in the first picture (just with the 75w bulb). The light is about 14 inches from the light to the spot. I guess I just have to keep messing with it to get it where I want.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:55 PM   #6
suzuki4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabrow187 View Post
I have a strip thermometer directly under the basking spot in the tank, and it is the same clamp lamp as in the first picture (just with the 75w bulb). The light is about 14 inches from the light to the spot. I guess I just have to keep messing with it to get it where I want.

that is not basking temp, that is ambient temp.

basking temp is the temp you cause the actual substrate the light is pointed at to achieve. If your lizard is in that spot, he should experience basking temp

Ambient temp is the temp of the air in that area. It could be the heat directly off your light, or it could be the heat coming from the basking area.

Your setup is very inefficient. If you only have an ambient temp of 82 in that cage with that light on it, you must have a cold room.

50w should easily handle basking temp. Cover the rest of the screen lid with aluminum foil. Move your light and your food (or just your perch)

Reason for the perch is to allow your iggy to move close to a heat source. So the heat lamp should be over the area he can climb the highest

You also need a source of UVB lighting or he will develop tons of problems.

He needs a larger water dish in my opinion

and you will want a better thermometer for the hot spot

here is a cheapo that will work.

PE-1 $25

http://www.tempgun.com/order.html#pe1

or harbor freight model (I have a few and same readigns as the PE-1 in my experience)- $13

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93983

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!