Tokay Geckos - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-03-2006, 10:45 PM   #1
cliff_f
Tokay Geckos

Who all keeps the lovely tokay gecko I have 2.6 my biggest male is around 13" and 254 grams and that was a few months ago when I weighed and measured him so he could be bigger. This is my first year breeding them I have 14 eggs so far and I have had alot of eggs that were eaten by one of the other geckos in the cage. Who else breeds, keeps or just has some good storys with these crazy tokays?

Old 06-04-2006, 02:05 AM   #2
Road Warrior
1 1/2 years ago I moved from Arizona to here(washington). Most my belonging were shipped via moving truck. My wife and I brought minimal things so we could carry all my Geckos and a bunch of the smaller tanks with us in the car because our stuff on the truck wouldn't arrive for a week after us. My Tokays lay all their eggs on a large flat rock proped up against the back wall in their home. On it moving time was at least a dozen eggs. This presented a problem to move without crushing the eggs and the rock is fairly large and heavy. We had a two day 1200 mile trip to drive. I laid the rock very carefully on the rear floorboard propped up my extra shoes. The second day of our trip we stopped to get a bite. When we returned the car i opened the door for my wife and immediately saw movement behind the seat on the floor. I've seen this enough times to know exactly what it was. I turned the rock over so I could see the eggs and sure enough one had hatched. Now I have a loose hatchling in the car that I did not want to lose. After about 10 minutes I finally found it in side one of the shoes. The little guy got to ride the rest the way in a deli cup stacked with about 30 other geckos.

Descibe how your keeping your groups, I would guess two groups of 1 male and 3 females in different setups or are they all together. Either way I say a female that isn't or hasn't layed any eggs, maybe the male hasn't bred to her, is the one canabalizing the eggs. I've seen this happen before, actually caught the female eating the eggs while I watched in horror(my babies). This behavior ceased as soon has this female became gravid and began laying her own eggs. All the females now lay their eggs in the same place so I don't know whos are whos. They all watch over and protect the eggs and the young when they hatch. I would guess you have one maybe more females not laying eggs and eating the eggs, good nutrician and calcium. I've also read and heard from a good source that they may be able to tell non fertle eggs and will eat them. I do know that when babies hatch the adult females will eat the rest of the egg except the small portion thats glued to whatever they layed them on.

Old 06-04-2006, 09:44 PM   #3
cliff_f
That is a good story you have there that just goes to show that tokay eggs are tough! I have been thinking that one of the females that hasnt been breed was eating the eggs I took her out about a week ago and put her in a diff cage. right now I have my tokays set up in those 65 gal reptariums with a pro-mist to keep the humidity up and water them. I did have 1.3 in each reptarium but now I have 1.2 cbb 0.3 wc in a reptarim and 1.1 wc-cb in one of those exo-terra cages I need to get another reptarium to set them up how I want them and I think I am going to get one more male I figure the less females I keep to a male the more likely all the females the male is with will get breed. and hopefully i wont have as big of a problem with the eggs getting ate and I should be able to keep them in the cage to incubate. this year was sort of a learning experience for me but next year I think I can get more eggs out of them. It truley is a learning experince breeding these guys. Also this is my first year breeding any sort of reptile. Next year though I think I should be able to really be sucessfull breeding them. I have learned alot just talking to other people and correcting things.

Old 06-04-2006, 11:58 PM   #4
Road Warrior
My Tokays pretty much lay a clutch about once a month most the year. Watch for signs of the male being aggressive, you may need to remove him to give the females a break. Sounds like you have a large one and he will over power the females if they don't want to mate causing injuries. It took me a while to trust it but the Tokays, male and female, do watch over the eggs and the young after they hatch. They do not eat the young. The babies do very well and grow fast when kept with the adults. I'd be very careful putting any young ones back in their tank you have removed and hatch out in a incubator or what not. Tokays are very territorial and may attack new ones added to their home. The male will begin chasing around young males and they need to be removed around 8-9 months old. I never really keep any in that long. It's very facinating watching hatchlings interact with large adults and juvies too for that matter. Before you know you will have more Tokays than you know what to do with, hehe

This is my 2 Female breeders and and a couple 3 month juvies

Old 06-05-2006, 09:03 AM   #5
cliff_f
Very nice. What size of tank do you keep them in? I will post some pics of mine soon.

Old 06-05-2006, 07:33 PM   #6
Road Warrior
Thanks, that one is a 120 gal.. I been thinking bout making it another 1 1/2 ft. taller by making a plexy glass top(sides) and reusing my screen/glass top on top of that.

Old 06-05-2006, 10:23 PM   #7
cliff_f
That is a nice size tank I would like to get mine into something that big someday.

Old 08-12-2018, 12:17 PM   #8
Tjdiver76
I've had Tokays in the past(even had the License plate "Tokay") and now want to start back up with them again. Does anyone have 2 adults(larger the better)?
Thanks
Tjdiver76

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!