Can you convince me? Looking for a species - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-30-2012, 03:02 PM   #1
Dbz4246
Can you convince me? Looking for a species

Alright, I have been thinking about getting into a species of colubrid to keep and breed. BUT, I have tried rats (and corns), kings, and bulls. All were a no go, they just didn't do much for me.

The species that I do currently breed are ball pythons, and this is my first year at having babies, I also am planning to breed rainbow boas once the few I have get up to size.

The species I have looked at were Hognose, House snakes, and False water cobras (yes I will be posting in the Other Snake Forum). If you can, please tell me the heat requirements, feeding, growth size, or any other information about the species that you think will be helpful with my decision. Also the amount of morphs (or localities) of each species will be helpful to. After I decide what I would like to go for, I will do extensive reading and research on the animal, so dont worry

Thanks to all of Fauna for their help, and any suggestions will be appreciated

Old 09-30-2012, 09:24 PM   #2
phoenix-cry
Hognose are the way to go. they have more morphs than house snakes, and more demand than false water cobra. They have great personalities, easy to feed, and have a higher dollar value than most of the colubrids. Plus there are few things more adorable than little hognose hatchlings! Only downside is that they eat their eggs so you gotta be quick in getting them out of the tub!

If you want a male Dotted African House snake I have one that you can have for the cost of shipping. I was going to get into them (found this one at a LPS) but now I'm all about hogs!!

Old 09-30-2012, 09:34 PM   #3
Dbz4246
Hmm that's not too bad, is there anything special when it comes to heating or humidity? (high, low stuff like that) and yea I have noticed that I can't ever find house snakes anywhere lol. Do hog noses musk at all? And I'll pm ya about that house snake

Old 09-30-2012, 09:44 PM   #4
Dbz4246
And thanks for the info! I had no idea they ate their own eggs

Old 09-30-2012, 09:52 PM   #5
phoenix-cry
They like low humidity but they ate not too picky.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:12 PM   #6
Dbz4246
ok, I did a quick search on hognoses and there are plenty of different morphs from the looks of it, but I only saw a slight problem. That would be money lol. Most of what I saw were near the 1000 dollar mark, which is great but kinda deters newer enthusiasts to the species. Are there any lower dollar morphs, not necessarily lower quality or lower end, but something that would be easier to get a hold of that aren't normals or hets?

Old 10-01-2012, 11:54 PM   #7
phoenix-cry
Albinos would be your best bet.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:16 AM   #8
Dbz4246
Thank you so much for your responses, I'll be looking further into it!

Old 10-03-2012, 07:37 AM   #9
aaronhome27
Jessie, alot of people just getting into hoggs buy possible hets and go from there. PH can be had for not much more than a normal depending on where you get them. Lauren pretty much summed it up pretty well in describing them as well. The only thing left out is that they are so addicting once you get started with them. The little personalities are from one end of the spectrum to the other. I have transitioned my entire collection over to hognose now with the exception of one BP. I dont have any for sale but if you are looking for a good price on an albino, het, or possible het message me and I would be happy to point you to a few that have some affordable hoggs.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:41 AM   #10
phoenix-cry
I did forget the addictive part!! I got one just as a pet and now I have like six...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!