Nice Find - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-21-2011, 04:26 PM   #11
akonitony
I see your point, but if you check out this website, http://www.uga.edu/srelherp/snakes/hetsim.htm, and look at the color of the tail in the first couple of pics at the top, you'll see why I am thinking it is a southern. If I still had the thing here, I could look on the underside of the tail and tell for sure, but he is now in NJ with his new keeper. There will be some people coming over Saturday to see his collection, and one of those guys is an expert in Heterodon. He had seen these pics earlier, and said he could not tell which one it was by 100% from the pics, and had to see the underside of the tail to know for sure, so we can wait until then and find out who is correct here. Personally, now that I study the patterns of the eastern vs. southern in the pics on the last post, I'm thinking it may very well be an eastern, but then again, the website I just pasted has me thinking the opposite because of the lighter tail. Either way, it still was a really nice find that happened when I least expected it. After a morning of loading the boat, having to go back to the house in a the back of a friends truck to get my wallet because we couldn't turn around my truck and boat, then finally getting underway, my wife was thinking I was crazy for making a panick stop in the middle of the road for something nobody else saw. I'm just glad the little guy didn't get run-ded over...

Old 07-21-2011, 04:36 PM   #12
SlytherynHiss Exotics
If anyone finds either an Eastern OR Southern that You`re not going to keep, I will gladly take it :-)

Old 07-21-2011, 04:43 PM   #13
SunshineSerpents
If you read the Savannah River site description carefully, you will see this:

"Southern hognose snakes can be distinguished from eastern hognose snakes by examining the tail. In southern hognose snakes, the underside of the tail is the same color as the belly (the underside of the tail is lighter than the belly in the eastern hognose)."

Southern hognose snakes have a light belly and the tail is the SAME color as the belly. Eastern hogs have a dark belly, which turns to light under the tail.

You can see the guide to Herps of Highlands County, FL on our website here:
http://www.sunshineserpents.com/Highlands.htm

Or the still-in-progress guide to Herps of Central Florida snakes on our facebook page here: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...27248730639500

Old 07-21-2011, 05:35 PM   #14
akonitony
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineSerpents View Post
If you read the Savannah River site description carefully, you will see this:

"Southern hognose snakes can be distinguished from eastern hognose snakes by examining the tail. In southern hognose snakes, the underside of the tail is the same color as the belly (the underside of the tail is lighter than the belly in the eastern hognose)."

Southern hognose snakes have a light belly and the tail is the SAME color as the belly. Eastern hogs have a dark belly, which turns to light under the tail.

You can see the guide to Herps of Highlands County, FL on our website here:
http://www.sunshineserpents.com/Highlands.htm

Or the still-in-progress guide to Herps of Central Florida snakes on our facebook page here: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...27248730639500
Well, looks like you are correct. I guess I stand in good company with my error, however. My friend in NJ I sent it too just emailed me to confirm the reciept of the animal. Here's what he wrote:

He arrived in perfect condition. I think it is a Southern. It has a white tail. Head structure looks like a Southern to me also. I will know definitely on Saturday. Beautiful little bugger. Hooded up and did the whole hissy thing when I first handled him. Plump little guy. Thanks !!!

I won't say who my friend is, and I still have the utmost respect for his knowledge in herpetology - especially when one considers his work with breeding species in captivity no one else could get to reproduce until they followed his work. Anyway, I emailed him and let him know there might be someone in Spring Hill, FL who might want to trade a southern for an eastern, but that will be up to the two of them to decide, as I no longer have the animal in question.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:02 PM   #15
akonitony
Well, The 'expert' opinion is in and it is definitely an eastern, so looks like my mistake - once again. Just nobody tell my wife - she would never let me live it down. Anyway, if anyone wants to trade a southern hognose for an eastern, I have a friend who has the eastern.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:28 AM   #16
SixGunIggyLeur
that's not quite an even trade.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!