How often do you feed your adult hogs? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-07-2011, 06:04 PM   #1
RachelSnakes
How often do you feed your adult hogs?

I was wondering how often everyone feeds their adult Westerns, particularly females?

Old 08-07-2011, 06:23 PM   #2
LampropeltisCollector
I feed my females 3 times a week and they eat more amounts of smaller meals. Better to feed them smaller meals in large quantities than one large food item. I do the same with my female Southern and Eastern Hogs as well.

-JT

JTS Herps

Old 08-08-2011, 09:12 AM   #3
StuTennyson
Feeding Hogs

I've only been keeping hognose snakes a few years but I have found they prefer to be kept warmer than the rest of my colubrids (75-95). Their metabolism is higher and therefore they assimilate food faster. I feed my adult hogs a medium size mouse every 5-7 days but double it for females that are gravid or early in the breeding season. Good luck and hope this helps. Stu

Old 08-08-2011, 09:19 AM   #4
LampropeltisCollector
I've kept all my snakes in my garage. I live in Florida and temps reach as high as 90 all the way into the low 40's. It it essential for a lot of my snakes to be at those temps. And it saves you money instead of buying all those annoying heating supplies. Hognose of all kinds do great in a range from 75-95 as the person said above.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:11 AM   #5
RachelSnakes
Thanks guys for info/help I do keep my western hog trio a little warmer than the temps I have kept corns at. My male is an adult but the two females are still really small babies so I wasn't sure how much food they would require as adults

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!