Breeding Accident - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-12-2009, 05:41 PM   #1
superretic
Breeding Accident

I will be heading to a good friends house after I submit this thread to checkout his ball pythons. He called me all frantically saying he had a breeding accident?

He was breeding a super pastel male to a female yellowbelly. They locked up for 2 days already and wanted to switch the male to another female. I guess he pulled out the male while he was still locked up with the female. He said he didn't notice them breeding and their was blood when he pulled them apart.

I never had this problem before and I'm wondering if he did any damage to the male or female? I won't be able to reply on fauna through my cell phone because it takes too long, but I can read and respond to emails on my phone. Any information will be greatly appreciated. THANKS

Please response to superretic@yahoo.com

Old 08-12-2009, 06:32 PM   #2
jglass38
Quote:
Originally Posted by superretic View Post
I will be heading to a good friends house after I submit this thread to checkout his ball pythons. He called me all frantically saying he had a breeding accident?

He was breeding a super pastel male to a female yellowbelly. They locked up for 2 days already and wanted to switch the male to another female. I guess he pulled out the male while he was still locked up with the female. He said he didn't notice them breeding and their was blood when he pulled them apart.

I never had this problem before and I'm wondering if he did any damage to the male or female? I won't be able to reply on fauna through my cell phone because it takes too long, but I can read and respond to emails on my phone. Any information will be greatly appreciated. THANKS

Please response to superretic@yahoo.com
I'm going to post this here otherwise it will only be helpful for you and possibly not for others who read this thread and find themselves in the same circumstance. Yes, you can absolutely do damage to the male by pulling apart snakes that are locked up. It should NEVER be done. He could have just damaged one or both hemipenes or completed ripped them off. Either way the male could be sterile. He should be looked at by a vet regardless. Good luck.

Old 08-12-2009, 06:33 PM   #3
jglass38
should say "completely ripped them off"

Old 08-12-2009, 06:55 PM   #4
superretic
Thanks Jamie. My buddy is a little upset to hear his super pastel might be sterile now, but he left them together in the same cage and when I got their he was locked up again. Is this a problem?

Old 08-12-2009, 07:05 PM   #5
jglass38
Quote:
Originally Posted by superretic View Post
Thanks Jamie. My buddy is a little upset to hear his super pastel might be sterile now, but he left them together in the same cage and when I got their he was locked up again. Is this a problem?
I can't really say whether it's ok if they are still locked up. How much blood did he see? However, if they are locked, he is probably best to leave them to avoid the same thing happening again.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:20 PM   #6
superretic
My bubby said it didn't look like much blood, maybe less than half a teaspoon. He looks like he's doing his thing right now, so I told my bubby just keep an eye on him and let him be. I told him to remove him when he is 100% sure he is not breeding.