Current Status of the Reptile Industry - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-31-2009, 08:54 AM   #1
jntreptiles
Current Status of the Reptile Industry

I am just curious to what others feelings are about the current status of the reptile industry. I have been in business since 1987 and have been involved in many aspects of this industry over the years.

I have seen some ups and downs over the years, but none to the degree that it seems to be currently. I do understand that the economy is in a definite crunch and that people are being conservative on spending. But at he same time, does anyone feel that there are to many shows up and running.

I am in the north-east, and there is virtually a show every 3-4 weeks within a 2 hour drive of me. There is no anticipation factor anymore, and the impulse buyer has been lost.

If anyone has noticed the prices on many animals, they have dropped harshly and rapidly, to the point of being all but worthless. As many of you who sell on here already know, trying to get the value of your animal is getting harder and harder. I have seen many a animal, sell for way less then what they are really worth. Great for the buyer/horrible for the seller.

I guess I am just venting, frustrated at what use to be a great and rewarding industry. So just looking for what others are thinking. Is it affecting your business? Have you noticed a decline?